• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Your input is important to us, Drum Mag Group BUY!

allied armament

FALaholic #
They have all been shipped :bow: . All orders except one went priority mail (this was a person who sent payment for three), their order went parcel post. Expect them in two to three days, so worse case scenario Monday for delivery. I have delivery confirmations so if you do not get your package by then let me know and we can somewhat track it.

I'm going to try to put a video up on how to use your drum, it should be up Saturday evening.

Vaughn L. Allen

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
James... Like Jen this is the first that I've seen of this post. I am in for one if you decide to do it again! The Polish AK parts that I purchased from you were awesome!

Last edited:

BLINDone3

FALaholic #
Received mine this morning!!! Quality and finish look fantastic! If I can just get these damn lights up for the wife I might make it to the range tomorrow for a test drive! Will try and posat pic's soon.

Thank you!!

allied armament

FALaholic #
I can't wait to see some photos. Just think when you inserted the drum into your HB, you were the very first person in the world to put a drum magazine into a FAL HB gun.... EVER! Pretty cool when you think of it that way.

gska3873

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I received my drum on Saturday and haven't had a chance to do a thorough review yet, I only had a few minutes today to do some initial inspection with it,(will follow with pictures and a more detailed review once I get a chance and time to get out and test it) but here are a couple initial observations I have. I have only limited this to a couple pictures since my camera isn't cooperating very well at the moment.

Overall fit and finish appear to be excellent on the drum.

I have test fitted it in a couple DSA type 1 receivers and lock up was nice and snug with very little play, if any, once inserted. Manually feed a few rounds from the magazine into the chamber and they fed and ejected smoothly.

I also first tried it in a couple of DSA L1A1 receivers so I didn't have to monkey with the BHO for a trial fit. What I can tell from this is that the drum magazine will not work in these as currently designed (at least on the two DSA L1A1's that I have on hand). When inserted into the magwell the machined insert (beak or lug) that engages the cutout in the receiver front magwell is not long enough to engage that cutout on the DSA L1A1 receivers that I have. This causes the front of the drum to sit low by approximately 3/32 to 1/8 of an inch which will make the tip of the bullet ram the receiver below the feedramps and not feed into the chamber. It looks like the machined insert on the front of the drum could possibly be replaced or supplied with one that resembles an L1A1 lug for swapping out between metric and inch pattern receivers. Not sure if these where designed to also be used on L1A1 receivers but those are my initial observations with them. Below are a couple pictures of what I was seeing with this (sorry for the crappy pictures but my camera is deciding to fight me right now).

allied armament

FALaholic #
I think we will be able to make different inserts for the L1A1 style receivers. Our plan is to pick up a receiver over the next week or two and make some adaptable inserts.

Just an FYI, make sure to put the drum in your gun to check fit while its unloaded. Once its loaded you may have to pull your bolt back to get it to lock in or turn the hand wheel.

If in the case that the mag unloaded does not lock into the gun, you can file in this area, for which we left long on the spec side in case receivers varied greatly.

Right Hand View

Last edited:

jaflowers

FALaholic #
so I received my drum mag last week. It will not seat fully or latch in completely in any of my 3 FALs, a G series, a Steyr FN HB and a Coonan arms build. The drum portion contacts the magazine well and doesn't allow for a fully seated fit. Has anyone else had an issue with theirs fitting? I tried talking to James and Scott from Allied but haven't heard back in a couple of days. I did remove a very small portion from the back latching point on the magazine but that did not work and I'm very hesitant to remove too much. Any suggestions??

jaflowers

FALaholic #
Well I removed more metal from the rear latching point and that finally worked. The magazine now locks into place on my Coonan receiver. I give it a workout either this weekend or next.

Jason

allied armament

FALaholic #
Jason,

Glad you were able to use the solution in the thread, sorry I hadn't gotten back to you yet. I think I was relying on a response from our engineer but he may have not gotten the email from me. Anyway, keep us posted.

jaflowers said:
Well I removed more metal from the rear latching point and that finally worked. The magazine now locks into place on my Coonan receiver. I give it a workout either this weekend or next.

Jason

gska3873

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Had a chance today to get out and run some rounds through the X-Series drum. The rifle in use is a 16.25" carbine built on a DSA type 2 receiver. Ammo was South African surplus. On to the review:

The manual is clear and concise. It goes into thorough detail about the operation and use of the drum without getting too jargoned and overburdened with information. Good pictures and parts breakdown also in case anything ever needs to be ordered for replacement. It is actually nice getting a manual with it when so many items do not come with one nowadays.

I already spoke of the overall quality in my previous posting but I will re-iterate that the drum seems very solidly made without any flimsy parts that will break easily. Only a couple of concerns or suggestions that I would have here are what I mentioned previously about the fit in an Inch pattern receiver and the drum could use a little extra clearance on the RH side of the magwell where it starts to radius into the round drum portion. I have attached a couple of photo's where you can see that there is a slight interference fit in this area that could be addressed in the casting.

Loading of the drum takes a little getting used to, but once you have done it a couple of times it isn't all that bad. The rotary dial on the front really helps in taking out the spring pressure for loading the rounds into the drum. The drum does (at least on this rifle) require a bit of a "slap" from the bottom to get it to fully seat in the magwell when it is loaded and the bolt/carrier are in the forward position. I didn't have the option of holding the bolt back as I just removed the BHO device from the rifle for today's function test. I loaded the drum and ran it twice, the first time the bolt/carrier cocked with ease but the second time it was a little stiffer which I am attributing to the overall spring pressure on the first cartridge against the bottom of the bolt. During both tests I did not have any failures to feed or failures to eject from the drum at all. It fed every round into the chamber with ease.

The couple of items I would like to see changed are an additional front insert that can be used for Inch pattern receivers. A little more relief on the RH side of the drum where there is the interference fit. I would also prefer not to have to disable or remove the BHO device when using the drum.

On to some pictures and a video:

Drum in rifle

Interference fit on magwell

Indentation marks on drum from interference fit

Video in use
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid228.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee107%2Fdizzydad73%2FMVI_1179.mp4">

Last edited:

moses

One of the original 400
FALaholic #
No that's good. Just wanted to see if you guys put the angle on the mag catch tab and you did.
So I am assuming the bolt hold open interferes with the drum being inserted and also that the drum would have nothing to engage the bolt hold open if it was in the gun.

gska3873

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Johnny,

From looking at mine the rear of the housing would hit the BHO when inserting it into the magwell. I initially thought, hey, just notch out the rear of the housing but from examining it further it isn't that simple. The rounds actually sit a little further back in the magwell, if you will, then when they are in a standard FAL magazine so the actual rounds look like they would interfere with the BHO as well. This is just my guess, but it looks like it would have to had a fairly substantial re-design to the rear housing to add material to have the rounds sit a little further forward and then add some sort of channel all the way through it with a rear extension on the upper follower for it to engage the BHO device. I would also guess this wasn't done in order to keep as many parts/tooling in making these as common with the HK drum as possible in order to keep costs down not too mention the durability of the extension on the upper follower traveling the distance it would have to in the channel in the drum. That is all just speculation on my part though as I don't have one of the X-91 drums to compare it to.

allied armament

FALaholic #
You are exactly correct. We've tried notching it and the rounds still hit the ammunition. Also if we move the ammo further to the forend of the magazine the material thickness gets to thin.

gska3873 said:
Johnny,

From looking at mine the rear of the housing would hit the BHO when inserting it into the magwell. I initially thought, hey, just notch out the rear of the housing but from examining it further it isn't that simple. The rounds actually sit a little further back in the magwell, if you will, then when they are in a standard FAL magazine so the actual rounds look like they would interfere with the BHO as well. This is just my guess, but it looks like it would have to had a fairly substantial re-design to the rear housing to add material to have the rounds sit a little further forward and then add some sort of channel all the way through it with a rear extension on the upper follower for it to engage the BHO device. I would also guess this wasn't done in order to keep as many parts/tooling in making these as common with the HK drum as possible in order to keep costs down not too mention the durability of the extension on the upper follower traveling the distance it would have to in the channel in the drum. That is all just speculation on my part though as I don't have one of the X-91 drums to compare it to.

allied armament

FALaholic #
I sent a fairly sizeable amount of these to members here, so I just wanted to see if there were more reviews coming or in the works. I know its the Holiday season so many of you are busy bee's with all the family stuff.

Thoregon

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
review

I'm swamped with the holidays, extra work and a home remodel.
I've looked at the drum (sweet) and put it back in the box. Then looked at it again and again. The only cycling I have time for is in and out of the box. It does work really well as I haven't dropped it yet. :D
Will get to it after the holidays. Thx for your patience.