• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

WHATS THE BEST FAL RECEIVER OPTION TODAY?

ExCdnSoldierInTx

Don’t California my Texas!
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Well, in talking to DSA last week, I found out they ARE contemplating doing a Canadian upper. They’ll be spendy I expect, due to the extra computer and machine work needed for such a small run, but I made it very clear to them that I’d fully commit to an absolute minimum of four, and probably at least a couple more. If they can pull that off on a forged receiver, I’ll be incredibly impressed.

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I use Type 1 DSA cast or forged series with no other novelty markings. That may be as close as you can get.
To my knowledge FN never imported a Type 1 receiver and a G series receiver is good to go but not much of an option to find an available one. GSI imported FN Type 3 about the mid-80s and I would think all have been built on parts kits. I have one on a G1. I should asked DSA back then if they would do a Type 1 receiver cut as they were doing on some of their Argentine Type 3.

Last edited:

lockjaw

Contributor
FALaholic #
You DSA fanboys kill me!!!

😂😂😂
Yeah buddy. DSA has gotten their s*it together and kicking out solid receivers, at an excellent value... maybe that is why their receives sell out?

How many rifles have you built on the current crop of DSA receivers, cast or forged? S*it, how many FAL rifles have you built on ANY receiver?

As a person who has been a DSA hater because of their PRIOR piss poor QC and customer service, I give DSA Kudos for getting their act back together. I can tangibly argue that DSA is producing some of the highest quality receivers that they have EVER produced, and the cast receivers are a fantastic value.

I hope that DSA is making their past f**k ups right, they didn't before they tighten their shot group... and taking into consideration that lack of public gripes compared to the past, are they?

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Yeah buddy. DSA has gotten their s*it together and kicking out solid receivers, at an excellent value... maybe that is why their receives sell out?

How many rifles have you built on the current crop of DSA receivers, cast or forged? S*it, how many FAL rifles have you built on ANY receiver?

As a person who has been a DSA hater because of their PRIOR piss poor QC and customer service, I give DSA Kudos for getting their act back together. I can tangibly argue that DSA is producing some of the highest quality receivers that they have EVER produced, and the cast receivers are a fantastic value.

I hope that DSA is making their past f**k ups right, they didn't before they tighten their shot group... and taking into consideration that lack of public gripes compared to the past, are they?
I agree with some of that and successful long term businesses do go through hard knocks along the way. Sometimes it is cost cutting which will backfire on you and sometimes it is a vendor who does not live up to expectations and you get the bad reviews. Trying to make an acceptable situation out of a bad situation can make the entire effort a FUBAR.
I've been a fanboy of DSA so to speak since the 1980s when they were just selling milsurp and later importing FAL receivers. I watched them grow from just Shotgun News surplus advertiser to a major manufacturer and international & domestic seller of firearms and parts. Currently DSA has cornered the market with new FAL and parts. They say good business is where you find it and DSA's collaboration with some other well known parts websites some of us visit is a win, win situation for all of us. BTW, I miss the 2 DSA reps who used to visit the FAL Files and share upcoming products and events with us. I suppose they felt they receive better treatment in return for their efforts on Facebook.

Trypcil

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Any receiver that you can get working is better than slagging off a given manufacturer - an Imbel rcvr, from Pars is the top of the line(available), and even then they can be problematic(tight rails from stamp!). Current dsa are going to be fine, largely - but if you are half smart, and pay attention they are fine. The choices are - either expensive or available! As a rule, stay away from century unless you know the markings - not much is perfect, century even less! Imbel kits are generally fine - carried a lot, shot little, or so I hear. Pm me for Pars contact info, if you don't have it.

357ross

FALaholic #
Only have one experience with dsa, it was one of the British cut inch versions. I can't speak for anyone, but once I source a barrel washer it went together without any problems. I know gunplumber had magazine fit problems and such, and if that happened to me it would have ended the project right there until I could get professional help. Cosmetically it's beautiful and all functions as advertised. If dsa ever gets one of their stg58 marked receivers in, I'll buy one of those, too. Saw it on their web page, anyone know how long till they have them again?

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Any receiver that you can get working is better than slagging off a given manufacturer - an Imbel rcvr, from Pars is the top of the line(available), and even then they can be problematic(tight rails from stamp!). Current dsa are going to be fine, largely - but if you are half smart, and pay attention they are fine. The choices are - either expensive or available! As a rule, stay away from century unless you know the markings - not much is perfect, century even less! Imbel kits are generally fine - carried a lot, shot little, or so I hear. Pm me for Pars contact info, if you don't have it.
A couple of things about Gear Logo IMBEL receivers. They only are imported in Type 3 receivers. When they hit the US market 30 years Springfield Armory was also selling the SAR48 & SAR800 IMBEL receivers which were a welcoming to FAL builders. The only downside was to build on a Type 1 or 2 lower receiver you had to build on an IMBEL or ARMSCORP Type 3 receiver and that certainly did not satisfy the FAL purist. Attempts were made to custom cut the IMBEL Type 3 to a Type without much success and just about all which had shown up here were lesss than acceptable.
The IMBEL Type 3 is an excellent receiver, however in watching the market places online the prices are creeping upward to the point where it is making the cost of building a parts kit plus the receiver very costly and perhaps a later return on investment prohibited. I have seen many different parts kits including the StG58 built on Gear IMBEL receivers for a little less money.

I think the Century family of all metric FAL receivers are way over-hyped price wise perhaps to create the perception they are equal to the Gear Logo imports. Some prices I have seen the receivers are at the level of purchasing a completed Century FrankenFAL just a few years ago.
Currently, DSA has diversified their line of receivers which makes the selection including an IMBEL better for us.

ExCdnSoldierInTx

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I’ve had one DSA that turned out less than stellar. A Brit from the previous run. Other than that, I’ve been blessed. And, when it comes to Inch receivers, they’re the only game in town.
Buy then when you can, otherwise expect to pay huge.

Last edited:

Roadmarker

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
So DSA is producing decent receivers again? I've still got a few different kits left that I had amassed. What are the options? Imbels still available and if so what cost? Did Coonan ever straighten up? Inquiring minds and all that. It's been a few years and I thought I'd better get on it. Good to see the board is still somewhat active.

otis61

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
DSA are a lot better than they were. Right now they are the only ones being made. Which is a shame. I hate DSA. Mainly because of their attitude they project as being the best there is short of an original FN. Of course they are not.
Coonan is out of business.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
...and who can blame PARS for selling one Imbel receiver (or two) at a time to the highest bidder on GB, rather than by phone/email for $540, in this market?
It would be interesting to know how many Imbels they are still sitting on.

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I've had Entreprise, Coonan, DSA, DS-LMT (DSA), Hesse, Imbel GL, and Imbel NGL.

I've built everything except Hesse. They all work.

I have NOT built on the out-of-spec DSA receivers documented by Mark - he did this whole board a giant solid by pointing out their suck.

Good for DSA if they finally (FINALLY!!!) got their shit right - he's only been documenting their BS for almost 20 years.

I would buy from DSA if they were the only game in town, but only then.

ExCdnSoldierInTx

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #

I have NOT built on the out-of-spec DSA receivers documented by Mark - he did this whole board a giant solid by pointing out their suck.

Good for DSA if they finally (FINALLY!!!) got their shit right - he's only been documenting their BS for almost 20 years.

well we're gonna find out real quick because I'm doing my 8L and my C2A1 on their new forged inch Aussies. It they're FUBAR, I'll be hop-skippin' pissed.

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #

Let's be realistic as DSA is the only game in town unless someone wishes to overpay for an imported Type 3 receiver. DSA has been in business about 35 years and there were other receivers on the market over the years: GSI-FN, Fed Ord, ARMSCORP T-48 & Israeli, Onyx Israeli & Australian and FMAP "DM" to name a few more.
Question: What would happen to these forums had DSA gone out of business? Is would be unlikely for another company to surface making metric & inch receivers due to start up cost, uncertainty of long term business planning and financing.
Question 2: Whatever happened to all those out of spec receivers from various manufacturers over the years? (A hint: They were built on parts kits requiring minor tweaking or machining.)

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Know why that's true?

Because none of those other receivers were so far out-of-whack as the DSA receivers were.

And those companies didn't do dishonest stuff to cover up their known bullshit like DSA did. I suppose you'll want some examples. Since I'm not going to be here all night, I'll start with the first two I became aware of:

1. US parts advertised for 922 compliance were, in fact, Steyr parts sanded - ironically sanded so DSA-shitty that a retard could find the half-oval Austrian proof marks - and called "US Manufacture", and

2. DSA receivers being out of spec, so they screwed up the DSA barrels so they would 'time' - problem being that if you bought a DSA barrel to go in a correct receiver, they'd overtime and have to take a washer like an Inch-pattern gun.

I could probably do this for half an hour without quitting.

The answer to "Oh no, what if DSA didn't quit paying LMT?" is, "Cottage industry and small shops would have done the business."

They stayed in the game because UN dollars through African contracts + Brazil and Chile. Good for them? That doesn't mean they're not a shit business.

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
They stayed in the game because UN dollars through African contracts + Brazil and Chile. Good for them? That doesn't mean they're not a shit business.
On the contrary, good business is where you find it and often to keep you in business. I don't hear any complaints from the Africans, Brazilians and Chileans. Without DSA the FAL vocation & avocation would have folded a couple of years ago and parts kits would only be good for spare parts. Bene?

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Allow me to address these two issues for the readership less they not be misunderstood or was not addresses in the past.

"1. US parts advertised for 922 compliance were, in fact, Steyr parts sanded - ironically sanded so DSA-shitty that a retard could find the half-oval Austrian proof marks - and called "US Manufacture", and

2. DSA receivers being out of spec, so they screwed up the DSA barrels so they would 'time' - problem being that if you bought a DSA barrel to go in a correct receiver, they'd overtime and have to take a washer like an Inch-pattern gun."

1. DSA at the time acknowledge the error and stated a new employee mixed the domestic made magazine floor plates with a foreign brand and stamped them all US made. DSA was willing to replace the foreign floor plates stamped by mistake and exchange them for a US made floor plates.

2. Which serial range of DSA receivers were out of spec during the barrel situation and were the receivers marked DS or DSA?
As I recall the conversation here there was speculation about the DSA barrels were purposely manufactured only to be timed on DSA receivers and not to be times on other receivers. DSA was willing to replace or refund any unacceptable barrels. There was never an our of spec receiver related to the manufactured barrels. This was about 10 years ago?