• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

What do yall think about the AR barrels on sale?

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
Primary, Schuler and PSA have a Memorial Day sale and they have AR barrels on sale for as LOW as $49. I hate the saying " you get what you pay for" as I have been ripped off on supposedly 'quality" items all my life but the barrels from Expo Arms, Diamondback, etc. have me curious.

I wouldn't expect Match Grad accuracy out of them but I don't need any AR shotguns either.

TIA,]
Jarhead

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I know squat about AR shit, Gary makes me look retarded. And though it may pain him as cringe worthy, a few weeks ago I bought a Radical Arms barrel for $99, NOT on sale. Figured for a zombie blaster, why not take a gamble?
In spite of some internet couch gurus who say they are junk or won't run, this rifle has been 100% reliable from bang one and holds around 2 MOA at 50 with my lousy eyes and a red dot. Keep in mind I don't care one iota whether or not it can hit flies at 200, that's not what this rifle is for. In fact, I'll probably never paper the thing. For zero my target was a one inch black dot I made with a sharpie on white back ground. If I can hit an IPSC target in the A-C zone at 100 off hand with a dot I'm happily thrilled, I don't care if the rounds are ten inches apart.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Had one of my old barrel vendors enter discussion about a bolt rifle barrel on thier clearance page am interested in for another 338 Lapua Mag. As discussion progressed my deal had with previous management to buy barrels collecting dust, discontinued, blems, mismatched, test barrels usually with 50 to 100 rounds they can't sell came up. Was told they had a few 12.7×42 AR 15 barrels could let go at scrap metal prices.

Were nearly $400 barrels but discontinued and about to literally go in scrap bin. I said would take them not knowing what they were till hit Google to find 12.7×42 was the 300 BO way of getting around the Whisper trademark for 50 Beowulf. Looks like I will be in the 50 Beo business after avoiding it this long in favor of my 458 SOCOMs. But when fortune smiles on you with premium German barrels you build them and start hunting up food to feed them.

Glad new management decided its better to have someone like me build them then post on discussion forums and my website than roll in scrap metal bin. Was bumming about H retiring and shutting down ARP and Blackstone only picking up his 6.8 line but always paid full price. These are much more respected barrels and price is so cheap can't pass on them. Also said would go through others plus test barrels and see if could put together a full care package. What I need is more AR 15s...

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Was on PSA yesterday getting 10 Gen2 mags and they threw in a BCG for $150 out the door. Old lady pissed me off so guess I need to build a couple of more. As far as judging an AR barrel, I struggle when it comes to 223. Sure seems every time I pick up a 223 rifle and shoot it again, it's strayed even with good barrels and the same ammo.

Last edited:

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Only barrels will buy from PSA are FN hammer forged now. They used to sell some other good barrels but won't ever buy a PSA branded barrel after helping others return their Freedom Line barrels to get back same crap returned. If want a built lower on the cheap or one of their custom engraved is fine. Seen too many of their complete uppers that pattern instead of group or just won't run, only buy used ones when dirt cheap because someone gave up on it and tear them down for parts. Some have good luck, others don't, I don't need inconsistency. Building a good upper is 80% of the point of adult Lego sets.

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm with Huey - I'm not saying it's PSA's fault, but there could be a bunch of vendors and subs dumping their stuff on them due to volume.

FN CHF + chrome lined = good enough. That's where Noveske gets their blanks.