• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Vortex Strike Fire

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Less than half of an Aimpoint Pro... worth it or junk?

Best red dot on the market? I love my Aimpoints. Aim had em on sale for $400 but I didn't bite.

Thinking red dot over LPVO for standard 16" AR carbine.

Should I get the Trijicon Credo? Worth twice the rifle...

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I own 2 Strikefire IIs. You can get one for $120 out the door from Palmetto State. In my opinion that is a steal.

You can see the green dot on anything that isn't green. If it's green, use the red dot setting.

One of mine has been on an AR with 3000+ rounds through it. I think I adjusted zero once. I don't think I've ever replaced the battery.

Cons: it is a little clumsy to turn on. If I was in a moderate risk situation I would turn it on and leave it on.

To see what I see at that link you probably need my batch of cookies. The offer it for $199 with free shipping and then it drops to $119 when you apply the promo code.

Here is a more generic link: https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strikefire-ii-red-dot-4moa-red-green-dot.html

They are a really nice piece of kit for $120. Mount puts it at a 1/3 cowitness with iron sights. Looks great on an AR.

lew

FALaholic #
I have two Strike Fires- one on my M1A and another on and AR. Best red dots I've used, and- not that I've had to use it- Vortex's warranty is the best. I have pestered their CS, and they were super helpful. Battery life has been great. I would prefer a dial to adjust the dot settings, but I'll make due with the buttons with little complaint. At their brightest, they stand out easily against even a white wall in full midday sun here in the desert.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Mounted these up and took them to the range Sunday. The dot is big, especially at 100 yds. My astigmatism doesn't help. the rifles were new PSA kits, and I think the barrels need some break in time, but the dot dialed in OK. The on/off buttons are kind mushy and the windage and elevation adjustments are a little too tight. The dot seemed responsive to the changes, but I did get some windage movement when adjusting elevation on one of them. I was very careful in using a level when installing the optic on the mount.

I should have grabbed two aimpoints when Aim had them on sale for $400, but if these hold zero and are fairly robust for $120, I can live with it. Shouldn't spend too much on the conscript rifles anyway, right?

Not super impressed with the groups using Wolf, which my other PSA rifles like, but I think the barrels need some break in time.

Mbell

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have vortex red dots and scopes never had a problem with any of them and the reason why I went with vortex is because I’m a tight ass and they guarantee their shit for life

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Mounted these up and took them to the range Sunday. The dot is big, especially at 100 yds. My astigmatism doesn't help. the rifles were new PSA kits, and I think the barrels need some break in time, but the dot dialed in OK. The on/off buttons are kind mushy and the windage and elevation adjustments are a little too tight. The dot seemed responsive to the changes, but I did get some windage movement when adjusting elevation on one of them. I was very careful in using a level when installing the optic on the mount.

I should have grabbed two aimpoints when Aim had them on sale for $400, but if these hold zero and are fairly robust for $120, I can live with it. Shouldn't spend too much on the conscript rifles anyway, right?

Not super impressed with the groups using Wolf, which my other PSA rifles like, but I think the barrels need some break in time.
Put a back up rear peep sight on the gun, flip it up and sight the dot through the ring. The astigmatism will disappear. Great for sighting the things in. Then take them off the gun. I get the exact same flair on each red dot, so I just learn where the center of the flair is after I sight it in.

davedude

FALaholic #
I'd buy vortex if I could get a small 1 moa dot. Don't like big dots at all. Have primary arms gold circle dot on the h&r topper that has a really small dot, love it and the gold color.
Got a 1 moa nice tight dot in the ANPVS17 4.5X which I absolutely love. The dot on my old Aimpoint comp m2 is pretty small. I'm looking for compact mini reflex sights for pistols but the dots are all too big and the lenses are to small. Trigicon has the SRO with big lens and 1moa dot but big price tag to.

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I'd buy vortex if I could get a small 1 moa dot. Don't like big dots at all. Have primary arms gold circle dot on the h&r topper that has a really small dot, love it and the gold color.
Got a 1 moa nice tight dot in the ANPVS17 4.5X which I absolutely love. The dot on my old Aimpoint comp m2 is pretty small. I'm looking for compact mini reflex sights for pistols but the dots are all too big and the lenses are to small. Trigicon has the SRO with big lens and 1moa dot but big price tag to.
I have a Bushnell Red Dot with a 1 MOA dot on a hunting rifle. It works great if I'm on the bench. But for banging steel plates inside of 100 yards in bright daylight a 4 MOA dot works better. I can't even see that 1 MOA dot.

davedude

FALaholic #
No doubt the larger dots are easier to acquire. My thing is not having the target obscured. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! ;-)
If I need to blowing up the small dot with intensity works. Thanks for mentioning the Bushnell, I will have a look-see.

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
No doubt the larger dots are easier to acquire. My thing is not having the target obscured. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! ;-)
If I need to blowing up the small dot with intensity works. Thanks for mentioning the Bushnell, I will have a look-see.
I don't think they make it anymore.

Badkarma1

Contributor
FALaholic #
I had good luck with the SF that I had, being a dumbass I let it go in a trade.
Sig's Romeo's are pretty reliable but you might not like the MOA size of the dot,
but they hold put well for range duty.

MontanaGrant

FALaholic #
If astigmatism is a problem try a Holosun. Most all red dots are a bit blurry for me, even with glasses.

Holosun is a SUPER crisp round dot. Must be coatings or emitter or something but crystal clear dot.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I had good luck with the SF that I had, being a dumbass I let it go in a trade.
Sig's Romeo's are pretty reliable but you might not like the MOA size of the dot,
but they hold put well for range duty.
I have a couple of Romeo 5's that I like, much smaller than the strike fires and smaller dot.

I'd heard the Sig sights weren't that great/durable from a competitive shooter, at least in terms of pistols with mounted dots.

badzero

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm going to be the lone negative on the strike fire, bought one mounted and sighted it in, took the battery out and 2 years later pulled it out to find after a new battery was installed ( yes I tried several) it would not power on. Sent it in for warranty and a month later received a new replacement. While customer service can’t be faulted, the failure for no reason doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy.

lew

FALaholic #
If astigmatism is a problem try a Holosun. Most all red dots are a bit blurry for me, even with glasses.

Holosun is a SUPER crisp round dot. Must be coatings or emitter or something but crystal clear dot.
My brother has an astigmatism. He said looking through my Primary Arms red dot was like looking at a red disco ball, while the dot on my two Strike Fires are only slightly blurry. Still usable for him, though. He made the same comparison between SIG's dots and Holosun's. Holosun's were usable. Definitely a difference in dot quality and coatings.