• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Value of new blue monster fal handguards??

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
To my knowledge Blue Monster never made handguards for sale. He claimed he made some early prototype handguards and they did not work out very well. Some of us had purchased pistol grips and butt stocks from Blue Monster over the years.
Silver Crescent and Ironwood made the first US manufactured handguards in any numbers.

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
It has been quite a few years since I had talked to Rich. He was around a little after the BGS sales and after his pride and joy the Blue Monster car was totaled he told me he was finished with woodworking and was resuming his career as a wine sommelier. My last purchase from him was a Type A buttstock & pistol grip and he also sent me a nice assortment of wine corkscrews and bottle stoppers.

Sudden Death

Gone Fishin!
Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks DakTo!

Rich would hand stamp his work "USA" and later on "cc". I know he was having personal issues but haven't had any contact with him in about 4-5 yrs.

I believe he did make a couple one piece HG's for early variants but those were few and far between. Without a source for metal tabs and the tendency for 2 pc handguards to split at screw, he deemed those not feasible to make. Not worth his time or dealing with a warranty issue if they split.

He did however at one point speak to DSA and was going to supply them with wood when their source dried up so that they could complete their G1 rifle series. Don't know if it ever worked out or not.

Hope that things work out/worked out for him, heck of a decent guy!

SD

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Exactly, and I will say most if not all commercial metric & inch handguards made in the last 30 years were beefed-up by the woodworker companies a bit as not to crack easily as the metric & inch originals. Rich would always make his butt stocks about a half inch longer and more wood proud at the butt plates and the pistol grips were made for a larger hand than the originals.
I think when the woman crashed into his parked car and totaled it (named The Blue Monster) that really took the wind and drive out of him.
Rich was miss around here for quite some time.

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
In Oct. of 2012 we (the FFL thing I was trying to launch at the time) went to Knob Creek where we purchased a large lot of Ironwood metric FAL handguards from Dan Richardson. These were seconds from Ironwood for various reasons. Some were simply unfinished. I sent a batch (a dozen or so sets, I can't remember) up to Rich to have the handguard screw hole located and the threaded nut installed in the left side, as well as a nice finish applied. They were company property and when the company fell apart in May of 13 I do not know what became of them. I was not aware he did anything with them but I don't know. There were plenty of Ironwood handguards around for a while, maybe he made his own... I don't know.

I spoke to Rich over the summer. He is well. He is enjoying his relative isolation in Northern Michigan. He traded his job constantly trying to please people as a sommelier for a comfortable woodworking shop, traded a lifestyle of indulgences for a fitness routine, traded the destroyed Blue Monster and crowded highways for an old Jeep Cherokee and dirt roads, and traded highway noise for the sound of silence.

Wouldn't we all.

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Damn Adam you sure did get around over the years.
I don't remember Rich ever selling any handguards and he always stated they were too intricate and time consuming to make nor did your handguards end up here to my knowledge. He did joke about his mistakes ending up as firewood and once looking at a photo of his home just about all covered with deep snow during a big storm perhaps he was not joking.

Rich and the Blue Monster is now part of the FAL Files folklore.

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Damn Adam you sure did get around over the years.
I don't remember Rich ever selling any handguards and he always stated they were too intricate and time consuming to make nor did your handguards end up here to my knowledge. He did joke about his mistakes ending up as firewood and once looking at a photo of his home just about all covered with deep snow during a big storm perhaps he was not joking.

Rich and the Blue Monster is now part of the FAL Files folklore.
I got to see the Blue Monster once. Maybe a couple of times. Rich used to live an hour or so from me and we caught up a few times. I was simply in the right place at the right time for most of it. When Pat and Dave S. had a discussion about Pat's print and the DSA L1A1 barrel sling swivel cut, for example. Or the first 5 BGS kits to be sold by Century at the creek before APEX got them. I had some crazy good luck. I parkerized for James Harper before most people had heard of Gunpartsguy and my park made his old parts a like new big margin hit for him. His US barrels came out of a freight terminal into my Blazer. I did Pat's builds for a while. The current batch of 8L gas blocks are my doing. Yeah it's been an interesting ride. I've been very fortunate to have seen as much as I got to.

One day I will tell the story about the 1970s vintage FALs made in Cincinnati Ohio. Ties together some very interesting FAL history. Right place and right time for that one, too.

Last edited:

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Do you have any idea where the BGS kits which Sportsman's Guide sold came from? Early serial numbers and some with only 3 numbers. Some were also a rust pile and returned to SG. I remember Rooster had one he was peddling for $800 in the marketplace and barrel not included. I was not surprised it did not sell for that kind of money 12-13 years ago.
BTW, I think the statutes of limitations have long passed. ;)

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
The one Rooster had was one of my first 5. Member Bigger is Better here and I had been looking at thumbnails of ‘G1’ kits ‘coming soon’ on the Century website. Blowing it up and looking at pixels I swore I could see light in the gas block ears and color shades at the back of the lower consistent with a type A. Calls and emails to Century did not produce better pics or information but they did say they were taking some to the creek. I was at the creek w/Rooster on vendor day and Century confirmed they had 5 G1 kits but they weren’t willing to root for them and told me to come back with everyone else opening day. So I bummed 1500 bucks from Pat and hit Century up pretty much at opening bell. Bought all 5 BGS kits and did back flips all the way out to the car. Rooster joined me on the way out and having borrowed money to buy the kits I sold him two at cost, 300 each. I picked out my 3 kits, sold another in the parking lot, gave one to Pat to sell, and took one home free and clear. BGS kits did not pop up at APEX for another couple of months.