• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Treatment of enlarged prostate with alternative medicine

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
There were big enough, that the first would not pass EVER, and then the other 4 were lined up like freight cars.

From first pain to surgery was 5 days.............the damn pain, believe it or not, quit after the 3rd day......brain shut it off?

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The pain of kidney stones passing, from the kidney thru the ureters to the bladder....., has been said by women to be worse than childbirth.

If small ones make down to my bladder, I can hear them "tink" when they hit the urinal. I will keep rowing.

Cava3r4

FALaholic #
So you rode in a tank ?

Sounds painful.
did it all, Infantry Squad Leader, Recon ...mounted and dismounted....Tank: loader, driver, gunner, and tank commander.
Got a Purple Heart for all three jobs but NO Combat Infantry Badge because on paper my MOS was tanker. Pisses me off. A CIB is "coveted". A Purple Heart means you had the misfortune of getting shot or frags etc.

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
My experience, FWIW. In 2005 at age 60 I had the usual BPH symptoms (urgency, can't get started, up four times a night to pee, etc., you know the drill). I just lived with it, no pills or other medical interaction, until my annual physical came up with a PSA at about 4. I went to a local urologist who performed a biopsy on a prostrate gland that he hadn't entirely anesthetized, deserving the fingermarks I left in his ceiling. He advised surgery and poo-pooed the radioactive pins that were in vogue at the time, saying that they would leave "scrambled eggs" behind and make any ensuing surgery terrible difficult should the tumor regrow. Of course as a surgeon he was talking his book, and his fingers that resembled tree trunks didn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Luckily my wife had a lady friend whose husband had just gone through the gauntlet, and when I spoke to him, he definitely recommended the pins as he had done rather than surgery. So I made an appointment at UCSF Medical, about 200 miles distant. Luck of the draw connected me to Dr. Peter Carrol (IIRC), the urology oncology head honcho at the time. He and an intern performed digital exams (no thrill), and we discussed the medical evidence (Gleason's 6 or 7?) and possible responses, which at the time were surgery, radioactive titanium seeds, and external beam radiation (using an articulated beam, pretty new at that time). Based on the stats, complications, results and recovery times and problems, I determined that the pins were my best bet. Dr. Carrol agreed, and sent me on to the radiologist who later performed the procedure.

Insertion of the titanium pins was via a long needle through the anal wall, under sedation, of course, but it was an out patient procedure. Some local pain afterwards, the major upset was swelling and blockage that a few days afterward resulted in a very painfully full bladder. One night was spent mostly on the toilet, urinating a solitary drip at a time, trying to decide whether or not to go the the hospital to get catheterized. I persevered, and the blockage eased the next day. Now, nearly twenty years on, I still don't have urinary problems to speak of, though I'm sure to not have anything to drink at least an hour before bedtime. And, of course, I live one of the major senior truisms, "Never pass up an opportunity to pee." ;)

A number of weeks after the procedure I went back to UCSF for a review. I remember asking Dr. Carrol whether my whether my previous urinary difficulties were due to the tumor or BPH. He opined that they were mostly due to BPH. Now here's the thing, after I recovered from the pin procedure, urinary problems went away, like I was twenty or thirty years old again. Same thing today, no urgency attacks, and I pee like a racehorse, no pause at the starting gate. I told my old school bud of this when he was having the same troubles, and I wondered whether the pins could be used off-label, so to speak, for BPH. But my bud went ahead to get a TURP without telling me, and now he's often incontinent.

Sorry for the length if you've gotten this far. I've heard that the radioactive pins have fallen out of favor now for prostate tumors, but I still wonder whether they would work in general for BPH. They sure worked for me for both BPH and cancer (last PSA was 0.013). :)

Last edited:

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
Stone info.

Brown calculi fragments composed primarily of: 10% calcium oxalate (monohydrate and dihydrate), and 90% uric acid. Tan calculi fragments composed primarily of: 10% calcium oxalate monohydrate, and 90% uric acid. INTERPRETIVE INFORMATION: Calculi (Stone) analysis Calculi are the products of physiological processes that yield crystalline compounds in a matrix of biological compounds and blood. Matrix components are not reported. The clinically significant crystalline components identified in calculi specimens are reported. Gross description may not be consistent with composition determined by FTIR analysis. Performed By: ARUP Laboratories 500 Chipeta Way Salt Lake City, UT 84108 Laboratory Director: Jonathan R. Genzen, MD, PhD

NFADLR

FALaholic #
After the doctor came in I asked a few questions about the most recent med my urologist had put me on and then since there was a terlet (Archie Bunker) just beside the room I was in (picture attached) I made use of it and was pissing like a 20 year old kid.

Wasnt working like that last night but it's working like that now so I wont look a gift horse in the mouth!!
20240513_163923.jpg

C-ya

One day at a time...
Contributor
FALaholic #
My dad (74 this year) had the seeds for his prostate cancer three or four years ago. Seemed to have done the trick. I haven't asked about his bathroom habits. My PSA is low, so no digital exam yet. I turned 52 last month. I get up to pee once a night most nights. Sometimes a slow start - a few seconds, but once it starts, flows great. I think I get good emptying.

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Allopurinol is for gout........... but I take it for my uric acid kidney stones.

Two friends in their late 70's now, had their prostates out..one is ok and the other got cancer 8 years later...........they say it is prostate related....as they say, he waited too long to have his out....... after high readings.

Chemo and radiation now on his lymph nodes.As my buddies say, I am playing in the 4th quarter now.

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
King Charles may have, either testicular cancer or Prostate cancer.........Radiation treatments ongoing. Lymph nodes may be affected.

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The harry Dick and his BLM bride are 13th in line...

Prince William, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, Bro Edward, who no one knows...etc etc.

NFADLR

FALaholic #