• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

THE GREAT TRAIN THREAD!!..

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Growing up on the Boston and Maine, we got some cool run thru power, especially once Conrail came into existence View attachment 221587
2497 is an ALCO C420... But notice that 2683 is a GM but on ALCO trucks. GM (EMD) sometimes used ALCO trucks from trade in Locomotives per customer request.

Southern 7.62

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Over yonder. Where over yonder? Yonder over yonder
Yeah, I thought Flat roof GM. I did google U25 images and the first that popped up was Penn Central 2646. Identical.
It’s actually a semi round cab roof. Same as on U28B’s. The longer nose is deceiving, as the pug nose didn’t show up until second generation U28’s, 30’s, 33’s, 36’s. Also note the location of the ice skate radio antenna, the hand brake chain guard, and the location of the Leslie 3 chime horn. The extra windows on the cab sides are dead giveaways too. Foamer, no, lol. Lifetime railroader yes I am 👍

Southern 7.62

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
At one time I had close to 50 different locomotive horns, including Hexatone H5 #41, which came off Atlantic Coastline. I’ve sold most as the years have gone by. Here’s a nice Nathan M324R1 that came off Southern Railway. I bought this from the shortline railroad I worked for back in North Carolina around 2010 (ACWR). It voiced up fantastic. It too will soon be sold. Many railroads used the M3 but that’s ancient history.

96BE5BC8-1CA7-49E0-B547-2B59494B30AA.jpeg

Southern 7.62

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
My other half got her portrait today with a pair of SD45s. CWW is Columbia and Walla Walla. They have the contract on the port of Royal Slope line.
View attachment 209416 View attachment 209417
Why they need a pair of SD45s to move 2 to 3 cars a month is beyond me.
Wow, that’s where 332 ended up. I used to run 332 across Montana on LAUSPO and SPOLAU mixed freights before it was sold off. Had it in Helena yard for a while. It could switch fast and plenty of power. Good to see it still around.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Wow, that’s where 332 ended up. I used to run 332 across Montana on LAUSPO and SPOLAU mixed freights before it was sold off. Had it in Helena yard for a while. It could switch fast and plenty of power. Good to see it still around.
Small world. Lot of ex- MRL engines in this area.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
At one time I had close to 50 different locomotive horns, including Hexatone H5 #41, which came off Atlantic Coastline. I’ve sold most as the years have gone by. Here’s a nice Nathan M324R1 that came off Southern Railway. I bought this from the shortline railroad I worked for back in North Carolina around 2010 (ACWR). It voiced up fantastic. It too will soon be sold. Many railroads used the M3 but that’s ancient history.

View attachment 226384
The Alco I ran for the shortline had a Nathan P3, raucous but plenty loud.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Really? I owned the prototype P5. All oval inlets and it was a 1952 horn.
Well, being kind of a dumbass, I remember being on the roof doing the radio antenna installation an seeing "Nathan" on a three bell horn with 2 forward (F end long hood forward) and the big bell to the rear. Maybe a K or M series. It was definitely an on or off horn. not much to quill with.