• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

The Garand of Last Resort

Mebsuta

Khemi, Stygia
Contributor
FALaholic #
This is the first Garand and centerfire repeater I ever owned. Pretty sure I got it on VJ Day in 1995. I rebuilt it for the 2nd time not long ago. It's an SA 44 receiver, but I didn't try to make it period correct. I just need it to be reliable, hit hard and shoot straight, so I used what I could get in the best condition. It has a new Satern 4150 -06 barrel and a Dupage laminated stock. The bolt is H&R, and the rest is SA. Some of the stock metal is Taiwan.

Took it out the other day and it ran perfectly with my garbage reloads (46 gr H4895, 150 gr SP). Banged this clip off a sandbag at 50 yards as fast the public range would let me. That would be better if I could see anything, and knew or cared what I was doing. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️ It's still a rush firing the M1 Garand. 💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥 ping! :)

Mebsuta

Khemi, Stygia
Contributor
FALaholic #
Hell no, leave the stock alone! :) I have one just like that with a VAR barrel. Shot just fine at 1000 yards with the 175 Sierras. These days I probably won't even see the target at that range :(
Yah, I'm the caretaker of some traditional M1s that I'm not going to mess with, but I feel like this one is mine. I didn't want to apply or maintain an oil finish, and I didn't want compressed wood, cracked handguards, weeping when hot, etc. If I ever get to a point where there ain't no tomorrow, this thing needs to blaze. 💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥 ping!

Last edited:

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
This is the first Garand and centerfire repeater I ever owned. Pretty sure I got it on VJ Day in 1995. I rebuilt it for the 2nd time not long ago. It's an SA 44 receiver, but I didn't try to make it period correct. I just need it to be reliable, hit hard and shoot straight, so I used what I could get in the best condition. It has a new Satern 4150 -06 barrel and a Dupage laminated stock. The bolt is H&R, and the rest is SA. Some of the stock metal is Taiwan.

Took it out the other day and it ran perfectly with my garbage reloads (46 gr H4895, 150 gr SP). Banged this clip off a sandbag at 50 yards as fast the public range would let me. That would be better if I could see anything, and knew or cared what I was doing. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️ It's still a rush firing the M1 Garand. 💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥 ping! :)

Love it, I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I'd like one just like it.

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Mebs, this is a lovely thing you have.

When you have it on the bench, squeeze off that last ounce on the trigger, feel it set back against your shoulder, ain't that grand?

You and that rifel had a conversation and the holes in the paper tells me it was productive.

Don't change nothin'.

But I would like a picture of it with some bent wood Blair Witch stuff next to it on your deck. Sorry, but I'm funny that way. That probably doesn't surprise you.

357ross

FALaholic #
Wow mebs, that is a beautiful m1. As mentioned above, don't know why plywood always looks good on other people's guns. Had on of those very kind of stocks from boyds back when they made them, but it never really looked good to me and it was quite heavy for what it was. Ended up selling it.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Sold mine off for preps and rifels that were more practical for a purpose. I miss them, but don't regret making the correct choice. I did give dear old Dad a pile of Greek spam cans for his Garand, and the one we built together. When I visit I sometimes call for an inspection. He presents arms, I verify he's been a good steward of history, and we put them away. Glad he kept his and ours, though I sold mine.

I did keep a Ted Brown built M14 clone to almost sate my Garand lust. Different, but good. That M14 clone is my only remaining 7.62 MBR and God help me I do love it so.