• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

THE EAST (Dutch in Indonesia war flick)

Story

FALaholic #
Forecast - the plot will probably be a retelling of the Good and Evil as found in PLATOON but the period setting looks like they did their homework.

lew

FALaholic #
Yeah I'll watch.

There's not a whole lot of information out there on the Dutch reconquest and eventual independence of The Dutch East Indies. What is out there paints it as a bloody damned mess,

Story

FALaholic #

lew

FALaholic #
Yup. In retrospect, seems like everyone might have made out for the better if the European countries went with a more "let's BOTH make money" attitude during de-colonization.
Most folks around the world can get behind that idea. Would have nipped the commies in the bud, too. Funny how close the British with Japanese assistance came to wiping out the Viet Minh, which went great until the French had to barge back in and muck it all up. A softer touch on their part could have worked splendidly. Same goes for the Dutch.

Malev

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks for posting this OP.

I’ve visited Indonesia twice, great food if you like spicy and interesting things to see. I stayed at my friends home in South Jakarta, they are half Dutch & half Indonesian. The parents were interned in a Japanese prisoner camp during WW2.

lew

FALaholic #
Hulu has this movie. Might be on Amazon. It was very well done. Also, plenty of Frogskin camo and M1 rifles. (y)

Slaughter

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks for bringing this back up top. Went to The East website and will sit and watch. Find a comfy chair, it's 2:21 hours. Link to buy or rent: http://www.magnetreleasing.com/theeast/home

(edit) very well produced (so far). You can select English subtitles with original Dutch (my preference) or English dubbing.

Last edited:

Slaughter

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
ok - informal review. The switching from scenes in Indonesia to the return to society at large was a struggle for me. The idea of the combat-scarred vet carrying his trauma into social situations is a bit overplayed. Not a bad movie, I won't recommend against it. The Indonesia scenarios are good in the "what are we doing to these people" scenes. The 3 different groups - rebels, commies, civilians and the "Kurtz-like" character (think Apocalypse Now) kept it interesting.

Story

FALaholic #
I think the disconnect for the movie industry is the dwindling number of producers/directors/writers/actors who have had 1) combat experience, 2) experience in uniform and 3) real world experience at anything.

Compare and Contrast.

lew

FALaholic #
I think the disconnect for the movie industry is the dwindling number of producers/directors/writers/actors who have had 1) combat experience, 2) experience in uniform and 3) real world experience at anything.

Compare and Contrast.
At the risk of taking this thread off on a tangent, didn't Lee vastly overstate his combat experience, or am I confusing him with someone else?

Story

FALaholic #

droid

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Between Houston and Victoria, Texas, on the coast.
If I recall correctly, Jimmy Stewart and Glenn Ford were the only two actors in Hollywood that wore every rank on duty that they also portrayed in movies.
Then again, I'm old, and my memory sometimes gets a glitch. I tell people I still have a photographic memory, problem being the film has expired... :whistle: