• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Technical: Thread Pitch- A permanent guide (submit changes)

FALaholic #
A permanent thread pitch guide: Make submissions, please

You know...

bbl to receiver: 1"x 16tpi, inch and metric; Israeli, metric thread, chase with 1"x16 die.

cross screw for mag release and BHO. 10/32

pistol grip stud/nut 1/4x28 tpi (metric)

inner threaded hole on buttstock double threaded nut (the one that retains the recoil springs) 1/4x28 tpi (all types)

frame lock lever retaining screw (the little one in the back that keeps the lever in) 10/32

I think this would be a good thing to have here for reference in case some of us who know can help someone save something they have previously considered trashed. And to keep it permanently posted here. Could save some of us a lot of aggravation. D.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

Last edited:

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
handguard screw

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dairyboy:
Can I get a new handgaurd screw from my local hardware store. What what size and thread pitch is it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's an 1-1/4" long 10-32 Screw!

FXE

FXE

FALaholic #
Metric FAL Muzzle Threads 9/16-24 L.H.

L1A1 Pistol Grip Screw is a 1/4-28 slotted round head screw 1-1/4" long and uses a lock washer.

Stg-58 rear Sight Screw(s) US 8-36 x 9/16" long

Gas Tube Pin .078" Dia. x 13/32" long (Hint White Painted Coat Hangers are the Right Dia.)

Gas Tube Nut thread size US 9/16-24 R.H.

FXE

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: FXE ]

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Gas block interior, FAL & L1A1 17/32"-36
Gas tube exterior thread, FAL & L1A1 17/32"-36
gas tube Rear support, FAL & L1A1 9/16"-24
L1A1 front sight #10 - 40, 5 degree forward slant
Return spring tube plug, inside, FAL & L1A1 1/4-28
Front sling swivel screw and rear sight windage screws #8-36
StG front sight #12 (7/32") -28
FALO coupler and muzzle 11/16"-24
Belgian long flash suppressor screw (.335" long, .192" slot head) # 8-40
return spring tube male thread FAL is 17/32"-36.
return spring tube male thread L1A1 9/16"-32
return spring tube, female FAL & L1A1 15/32"-36.
L1A1 Grip Screw is a 1/4"-28 x 1-1/4" 2A slotted dome head (early), slotted cheese head (later), socket head (latest) round head screw
L1A1 grip screw lock washer 1/4" ID x 15/32" OD x .026" internal teeth. I've seen plenty of the same with external teeth.
L1A1 buttplate screw. 1/4-28 x 2.5" (L, XL), x 2" (N), x 1.5" (S)
FAL & L1A1 barrel, chamber end 1"-16
FAL barrel, muzzle end (early, long flash hider) 9/16-24 RH
FAL barrel, muzzle end (standard) 9/16"-24 LH
L1A1 barrel, muzzle end 9/16"-24 RH

consolidated w/corrected L1A1 return spring tube 12/2016

Last edited:

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Chuckp76
FALoholic # 4888

I lost the set screw to the front sight on my Aussy (inch) L1A1 (kit). Does anyone know what size/threads it is?
I was thinking of heading down to the hardware store and seeing if I could find something close enough to work.
TIA
Chuck

gunplumber
FALoholic # 96

its a #8x36
--------------------
T. Mark "Gunplumber" Graham

bglanville

FALaholic #
I hate to ask a stupid question but why are all the thread designations I have seen English, or SAE, designations, even on the Metric parts?

I would have thought that any rifle manufactured for a country that used a Metric standard would use true Metric threads. Are folks just using the closest English thread that can be made to fit? Were all rifles actually made with English threads?

Thanks for any info.

Bruce G.

bglanville

FALaholic #
Sorry, my English heritage coming through. In the days before SAE was a force for standardization, I think they were commonly referred to in some parts of the world as English threads to distinguish them from Metric threads. That may have been in the days of the Whitworth thread though.

Actually, I think the correct designation now is Unified threads.

Interesting thread on threads eh? :)

bglanville

FALaholic #
I wasn't trying to SCREW anyone up, but since we were TAPPED to provide input, it was an opportunity to DIE for. We should all PITCH our best info so we can get to the ROOT of the matter. We must remain UNIFIED if we want to hold things together.

This may end up CROSS-THREADED on the humour board. Just so it isn't STRIPPED completely.

This thread was ROLLED not CUT. ;)

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
does anyone know the thread size to the wooden pistol grip(bottom of the popcicle stick) of an L1A1, just replaced the furniture on a century l1a1 and it had a polymer pistol grip with a screw, this one has a metal insert that is treaded and i dont know the size.

Status: Offline | Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged

FAL_FREAK
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic # 4343
August 28, 2002 22:39 Post #2

Ironwood or original issue? The new US made wood grips use a different thread on the screw than the real deal grip.

"Out of ammo? That sounds like poor planning."

Status: Offline | Posts: 237 | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged

black

FALaholic # 6094
August 28, 2002 22:43 Post #3

its the original issue.

Status: Offline | Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged

FAL_FREAK
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic # 4343
August 28, 2002 23:01 Post #4

I believe it to be a 1/4" NF 24. Might want a second opinion on that though, I can't find my original screw. That and I don't have a tap to run through the grip or a die to make a bolt to test with. I do know the Ironwood ones are a 1/4" NC 20. If nothing else take the grip to the hardware store and test and try.

"Out of ammo? That sounds like poor planning."

Status: Offline | Posts: 237 | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged

Glenlivet_1

FALaholic # 5845
August 29, 2002 20:06 Post #5

Had the same prob. 7x16 mm. Use a hex head, found it at Lowes.

FXE

FALaholic #
Question
does anyone know the thread size to the wooden pistol grip(bottom of the popcicle stick) of an L1A1 ....this one has a metal insert that is treaded and i dont know the size.
Answer
FAL_FREAK
I believe it to be a 1/4" NF 24. Might want a second opinion on that though, I can't find my original screw. That and I don't have a tap to run through the grip or a die to make a bolt to test with. I do know the Ironwood ones are a 1/4" NC 20. If nothing else take the grip to the hardware store and test and try.
Answer
Glenlivet_1
Had the same prob. 7x16 mm. Use a hex head, found it at Lowes.

If your talking about the screw on the bottom of a L1A1 wooden grip that holds on the the popcycle stick it's a #8-36 SAE Screw!

HTH
FXE

Falfegnügen

FALaholic #
idsubgun said:

Yes, SAE/standard threads.
They are called standard, not english.
Or SAE like you said.

HTH
Hmm... I believe historically speaking, the English standardized the measurement system which we first used in the USA, based on Imperial English measurements (inches feet etc).

I believe this first standard was developed by Sir Whitworth, became the British Standard Whitworth (BSW), which evolved into British Standard Fine (BSF). Then an American devloped a modified version which was adopted by the U.S. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). And then after WWII, all us proper English speaking allies (US, England, Canada, Australia) got together and mutually adopted Unified National Fine (UNF), which I believe the FAL uses. We should note that most of the FAL threads, while Imperial or SAE in standard, are not the commonly found SAE National Fine (NF) and Course (NC) thread pitches, but are generally much finer.

I'd call it an English standard, 'cause it evloved from an English measurement system, and an English thread Standard, but most importantly of all, becuase the other standard used in the world was developed by the French. :p

Hail Britannia!!!!!!

Last edited:

FALaholic #
If Ironwood L1A1 then the size is 1/4" x 20 1 1/4"

Ironwood handguards use a different than original screw also, but I don't remember the size.

moses

One of the original 400
FALaholic #
I think the metric designation comes from the fact that the dimensions on the print for the receiver are all metric. however
I have always thought it strange that all the threads are english?

moses

One of the original 400
FALaholic #
Also strange, the screw that holds the ejector in a moisn nagant is the same as the screw that locks the long browning flashider.
#8- 32 why are russians using english threads?

SpitNine

FALaholic #
Metric Threads

The pistol grip stud thread and the internal thread on the return spring tube nut (for the screw that holds the butt plate on the wooden stock) on the G1 lower I got from Tapco is 6x1mm. Six mm diameter by 1.0mm thread pitch.
A 1/4-28 UNF nut will screw onto a 6mm stud or screw but it will be quite sloppy.
A 1/4-28 UNF screw will NOT go into a 6mm nut.
The outside diameter of the 6mm fastener is about .015 inch smaller than the 1/4 inch fastener.
Thanks.

Waldo1

FALaholic #
How about the threads on the OD of the return-spring tube where it mounts to the lower? I'm assuming this is the same thread as the opposite (recoil pad) end of the tube, but have not disassembled to check.

Thanks!

Waldo1