• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Suppressed FAL

stimpsonjcat

I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I just tried my DSA short gas FAL with my YHM Ti 7.62 suppressor and with the gas port full open, lots of gas bleeding out the ejection port. Recoil seems harsher than normal. I'm a lefty, which exacerbates the situation.

I'm interested in the custom gas plug and wonder if anyone sells or modifies one?
:smile:
Send me a spare, yes SPARE, plug and I will mod it for free.

stimpsonjcat

I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Yep, send me a spare plug...I'll weld it...grind it...drill it, and send it back...no charge.

Again, for clarity, the modded plug will NOT allow a FAL to cycle WITHOUT the can installed. So you need 2 plugs, one modded, and one un-modded.

smokingun45

FALaholic #
The moded gas plug worked fine with Port ammo. It felt like a normal recoil impulse and a lot less gas & crap from the ejection port.

I needed to polish one small high spot with a Cratex wheel to fit my gas block.

Thank You stimpsonjcat!

Dirt1042

FALaholic #
Just got an 18" inch barrel and acquired a para lower. The guy I got the lower from had issues shooting suppressed with it. I'm not sure what gas setting he had or barrel length.

I'm planning on getting an AAC can for a black out build so I may as well spin on some AAC FHs on a couple .308s I have. Anybody run this set up with an FAL and have any issues or tips for me to try before I spend the $?

Just found out bbl length was 18" and ammo used was DAG, SA and R.G.

Last edited:

stimpsonjcat

I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The moded gas plug worked fine with Port ammo. It felt like a normal recoil impulse and a lot less gas & crap from the ejection port.

I needed to polish one small high spot with a Cratex wheel to fit my gas block.

Thank You stimpsonjcat!
Hmmm...I'll check my test block.

Might just make a test tube to slide them into...have to look up the spec ID on the gas block I reckon.

Glad to see another satisfied user!

Tommyguns

FALaholic #
AAC Cyclone

Just found this thread and will follow with great interest. Would like to use direct thread Cyclone(5/8X24) on Belgium Fal, I think I need 9/16X24LH adapter. Not sure, cant get long thin hider off ! Checked on hi-desertdog site and couldnt find adapter. Any ideas ! Thanks, TG

Artful

FALaholic #
Just found this thread and will follow with great interest. Would like to use direct thread Cyclone(5/8X24) on Belgium Fal, I think I need 9/16X24LH adapter. Not sure, cant get long thin hider off ! Checked on hi-desertdog site and couldnt find adapter. Any ideas ! Thanks, TG
What is your cyclone threaded for? 5/8x24 like mine?

Artful

FALaholic #
Yes, yes you will - but it's repeatable - just write the mount in your log and
click over your scope / target sights.

So you need 9/16X24 inside and 5/8x24 outside

You can have any machine shop make one but the cost on a one off is going to be high - I found mine at one of the sights (from someone making thread adaptors for HK rifles and FAL's )

but Brownell's has them for $30
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...2-28-to-5-8-24-sku100010536-54364-105317.aspx

of for twice as much (aka $60)
http://www.thesilencerstore.com/ind...2&products_id=18&zenid=idhUSwB6,Pl94nrUJTsaT0

homelandprotector

FALaholic #
What a classic thread....we have ggiilliiee, Shlomo and Gunplumber all posting in civilized fashion, along with scintillating info on silencers....why don't we have someone here on the files making a Fal Specific silencer set up for sale with appropriate gas plug items included in purchase.

What a niche market that would be. :bow::wink:

Tommyguns

FALaholic #
Thanks artful, for the links. I had already spoken to them, the rub is, theyre not 9/16X24 LH, theyre RH. I called the manufac.(Precision) and spoke to the owner, he said they had no plans to make the LH pitch. Doesnt matter anyway, cant get that long, thin hider off ! Gotta keep trying. Do you have an adapter ? If so, whered you get it !

Artful

FALaholic #
I do have an adapter - I've had it a long time - it was made by a machinist/hobbyist who made one for my FAL and one for My HK91 and one for my AC556 - I'm not sure the board is even around anymore - I'd just talk to a local gunsmith or machine shop - Heck I need to get motivated as I need another on made for 12x1mm ID to 1/2x28 OD for my CZ52 in 9mm.

Artful

FALaholic #
Ha - from the way back machine (2004)

Longview Class III Arms
21852 FM 449 Suite A
Longview, TX 75605
Phone #: 903-918-0140
made my adapter and back then cost $85 ea
(I don't know if postage was extra)
give a call and see if they still make 'em

Some other places to check
they not list as standard item but may give a cheaper quote to make one
http://trosusa.com/
http://usmachinegun.com/products.php?cat=15

Tommyguns

FALaholic #
GREAT! Just made contact with a fella that has a buddy with good CNC equip. My contact just had a load dumped on him, he,s got entestine bug and his mom just past away. Will be 2-3 weeks before he comes up for air. If it turns out good, Ill let you know. Do you have specs for adapters you need ? I E-filed form 4 about 3 months ago so, I still have 1-2 months probably before my stamp comes back. after seein how lathered everyone gets about altering gas plugs, or loads, to make there guns run, it gave me an idea ! Theres a suppressor manufacturer about 60mi. from my house. if I can talk him into prototyping my idea, would you be interested in helping field-test it. if it works, now a fella can shoot his fal w/o having to alter first. Wish me luck!

Danus ex

FALaholic #
I'm curious to know just how much noise comes from the gas system with Stimpy's plug installed while running in semi-auto. Can anyone supply any decibel measurements at the ear for a suppressed FAL running with Stimpy's gas plug? Barring that, can anyone make any noise comparisons between that setup and another, more commonly suppressed 7.62x51 rifle such as the FN SCAR or an AR-10 variant?

valc67

FALaholic #
On my select fire, it's still pretty loud with an 11" barrel and Specwar 7.62 can. Even with NO suppressor and ear plugs, I'm still ringing after one shot. In all honesty, I think the FAL platform isn't the most ideal for suppression. It works and is cool to play with, just not real effective from my experience.

stimpsonjcat

I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm curious to know just how much noise comes from the gas system with Stimpy's plug installed while running in semi-auto. Can anyone supply any decibel measurements at the ear for a suppressed FAL running with Stimpy's gas plug? Barring that, can anyone make any noise comparisons between that setup and another, more commonly suppressed 7.62x51 rifle such as the FN SCAR or an AR-10 variant?
The modified plug is really intended to solve the overpressure problem, not necessarily to make the gun quieter.

I have an idea for a gas system that would eliminate the gas vent at the gas block, but at this point it is an idea only.