• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

SUIT Trilux scope, tritium re-animation!!

Matell

FALaholic #
Deffinitive Guide to SUIT Trilux Tritium Replacement?

So I just completed reanimating the Tritium of my early model L2A2 SUIT Scope and thought instead of making a new thread I'd add the info to this existing and excellent thread.

Firstly as has been said around here you'll need a pair of Internal/External Circlip pliers such as these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/internal-and-external-circlip-pliers-60593.html

For those who have difficulty, I used the straight point tips and worked the plug up and out of the sight while keeping the clip firmly compressed. You should be able to raise the plug far enough out that the clip is free of it's race, and then it's easy to remove.

Next as mentioned in the first post, carefully scrape out the original putty. You don't have much room around the original vial so use something very fine and be patient.

Below are a series of images I took that I felt would help answer many repeat questions. Note the dimensions are in inches, so multiply them by 25.4 to get mm. My measurements were also not taken without the greatest of precision just as a warning.

Original Vial Length (7.73mm)

Original Vial Diameter (note I didn't scrape of the putty) (5.09mm)

Cap recess length (9.75mm)

Cap recess width (5.19mm)

Cap recess depth (5.53mm)

(Note: the ends and base of the recess are radiussed. Treat these values as conservative. Any Tritium vial equal too, or less than these should fit.)

Completed install. Portion covered to allow dimming by turning the knob.

I used qty(2) 2x8mm Red Vials from B@rt
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?270326-B-rt-s-Tritium-thread-part-deux-bis

And I embedded them in Sugru as it's what I had laying around. I used a cotton tipped stick to push them into the sugru, and denaturated alcohol (metho ;) ) for clean up. I used a little too much Sugru and couldn't bury the vials quite deep enough to get more than a thin covering which some light leaks through)

Here's the result with some ambient light

and in total darkness

It looks a little brighter, a little more orange, and sharper in real life of course.
These are the best I could manage to get from my iPhone 5.

Hope this helps someone!

intersite

FALaholic #
Excellent work - just one point, I find the green vials much better in terms of brightness.

So I just completed reanimating the Tritium of my early model L2A2 SUIT Scope and thought instead of making a new thread I'd add the info to this existing and excellent thread.

Firstly as has been said around here you'll need a pair of Internal/External Circlip pliers such as these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/internal-and-external-circlip-pliers-60593.html

For those who have difficulty, I used the straight point tips and worked the plug up and out of the sight while keeping the clip firmly compressed. You should be able to raise the plug far enough out that the clip is free of it's race, and then it's easy to remove.

Next as mentioned in the first post, carefully scrape out the original putty. You don't have much room around the original vial so use something very fine and be patient.

Below are a series of images I took that I felt would help answer many repeat questions. Note the dimensions are in inches, so multiply them by 25.4 to get mm. My measurements were also not taken without the greatest of precision just as a warning.

Original Vial Length (7.73mm)

Original Vial Diameter (note I didn't scrape of the putty) (5.09mm)

Cap recess length (9.75mm)

Cap recess width (5.19mm)

Cap recess depth (5.53mm)

(Note: the ends and base of the recess are radiussed. Treat these values as conservative. Any Tritium vial equal too, or less than these should fit.)

Completed install. Portion covered to allow dimming by turning the knob.

I used qty(2) 2x8mm Red Vials from B@rt
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?270326-B-rt-s-Tritium-thread-part-deux-bis

And I embedded them in Sugru as it's what I had laying around. I used a cotton tipped stick to push them into the sugru, and denaturated alcohol (metho ;) ) for clean up. I used a little too much Sugru and couldn't bury the vials quite deep enough to get more than a thin covering which some light leaks through)

Here's the result with some ambient light

and in total darkness

It looks a little brighter, a little more orange, and sharper in real life of course.
These are the best I could manage to get from my iPhone 5.

Hope this helps someone!

TheOtherTinMan

FALaholic #
Does anyone have a source for original tritium holders? Or has anyone made a replacement thingy that can be reanimated?

My SUIT came with the battery-LED thing which is a piece of junk. I'd like to reanimate mine but I don't have an original tritium holder/adjustment knowb/doohickey.

mhobtr

Contributor
FALaholic #
Does anyone have a source for original tritium holders? Or has anyone made a replacement thingy that can be reanimated?

My SUIT came with the battery-LED thing which is a piece of junk. I'd like to reanimate mine but I don't have an original tritium holder/adjustment knowb/doohickey.
Check with Mountain Man. I think he has made some in the past.

Dutchman Dick

FALaholic #
Here's where I got the vial I used in my Israeli SUIT:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29095670670...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I ordered a single "Tritium-MAX" red vial. It lights up the sighting post tip enough to see in dim light conditions. Don't know how it compares to an original but I'm sure it will serve the purpose. Oh, and I used drywall mud compound to hold the vial in place. closest thing I could find to whatever was originally used.