• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

So I'm thinking this Bushnell 4500 Elite 1-4x24 on my Marlin 336 in 35 Rem

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
1637397790366.png

It's less than $250, 30mm tube w/5.2 inch eye relief, weighs a pound which is a little heavy, but it is short and stout. I have a splendid Leupold 1 piece standard mount with low rings to go with it. I can no longer use the iron sights. Why wouldn't this be perfect? It's a back-up, 20-100 yard brush gun.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Personally,, For a few $$ more, I'd go with a 1" Leupold 1-4x myself.
30mm scopes look out of place on most anything lever action to me... kind of like a circus bear riding a tricycle... Or 300lb women on the back of a hardly...ymmv

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I wondered about that 30mm issue. I own so many 30mm scopes now that 1 inch tubes look "skinny". But I've never had one on a lever gun. If I don't like it I can just move it to an FAL.

Leupold doesn't make a 1-4 until you get into the $1000 dollar range. But a 1.5-4x24 would work. I like that they are made in the USA. I can't see a difference when I look through one though. At least not the $299 models.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
This is the same scope I shoot on my service rifle for national match competition.

Even has the green dot. Which is awesome.

This scope is DISCONTINUED by Leupold. Not sure why they quit making it. Maybe people complained about it not tracking perfectly each 0.1 mil (one-third moa) on each click. Which is true. But in no way would it be an issue on a practical rifle. I have several of these. One of them (only one of them) likes to wander elevation about 1.5 MOA - which also would not be an issue for anything other than a match rifle.

These imperfect click-value issues are a problem on EVERY $300 - $500 scope. Most people just can't hold hard enough, or don't bother to test, to realize the shortcomings of the less than mortgage-payment price scopes.

If you want one. This is probably one of the last chances to get one.

Got one on the GO TO HELL rifle too.

DPMS LR-308-T with suppressor - right side.jpg

This reticle. Green dot is about 2 MOA. Looks a bit less than that when on dim setting. A bit more when maxxed out bright. Uses a wafer battery. When dot is turned off or battery dies, you just have regular crosshair with no dot visible.
green dot.jpg

Pages from tactical-milling-reticle-man-1.jpg
Pages from tactical-milling-reticle-man-2.jpg

Last edited:

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
This is the same scope I shoot on my service rifle for national match competition.

Even has the green dot. Which is awesome.

This scope is DISCONTINUED by Leupold. Not sure why they quit making it. Maybe people complained about it not tracking perfectly each 0.1 mil (one-third moa) on each click. Which is true. But in no way would it be an issue on a practical rifle. I have several of these. One of them (only one of them) likes to wander elevation about 1.5 MOA - which also would not be an issue for anything other than a match rifle.

These imperfect click-value issues are a problem on EVERY $300 - $500 scope. Most people just can't hold hard enough, or don't bother to test, to realize the shortcomings of the less than mortgage-payment price scopes.

If you want one. This is probably one of the last chances to get one.

Got one on the GO TO HELL rifle too.

View attachment 161720

This reticle. Green dot is about 2 MOA. Looks a bit less than that when on dim setting. A bit more when maxxed out bright. Uses a wafer battery. When dot is turned off or battery dies, you just have regular crosshair with no dot visible.
View attachment 161721

View attachment 161723
View attachment 161724
I will keep an eye on this auction. You've mentioned this scope before. I agree that perfect tracking is not a requirement for what I'm doing. It's a brush gun that will get fired 10 times a year at the most and never take a deer past 50 yards. Not by me anyway.

Jeff in Pa

Bronze Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a 1.5 -7X on my .444 Marlin. The only time it goes off the lowest magnification is at the range.

I'll try to remember to get a pic and scope details tonight.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
That green dot with 4x magnification is a godsend.

Brightness is adjustable for all light conditions. Not too bright in dawn/dusk. Absolutely bright enough in raging bright sunshine no matter what the target.

Get that scope. Even if you don't use it on the Marlin.

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

Brightness is adjustable for all light conditions. Not too bright in dawn/dusk. Absolutely bright enough in raging bright sunshine no matter what the target.

Does it come with Leupold Standard rings in the box? A couple of reviews said that it did. Believe it or not, I am exceeding my optics budget for 2021 by about $1000. I already have all the mounting hardware for a 30mm tube. If I buy this, I'm going to fork out another $30 for 1 inch rings.

I do very much want it. I have the green dot on one of my StrikeFire IIs so I know of what you speak. One thing though - if my math is right, that circle is 36 inches in diameter at 100 yards at 4X power. Is that right? It doesn't seem right. Literature says its 10 MILs across.

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

Several reviews on the interweb note that the firedot is about the only LPVS that is bright enough to use like a red dot for CQB work. If I bought that it would be for an FAL or AR, not a 35 Rem. Grrrr. 22 hours left.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Does not come with rings.

Get a good one-piece cantilever mount. My favorite is the Larue LT-104. Top quality QD mount with sensible-width rings. Some mounts have gotten stupid with ring width. You want to avoid clamping the rings too close to the turrets.

I recently removed a fat-wide ring Vortex mount from a HiLux scope because I was getting weird behavior when I clicked the knobs. One of the rings was closer to the turret than suited me. Replaced the Vortex mount with a Larue LT-104 mount, and scope now *seems* to be clicking true. But the HiLux IS still a $400 scope. So my expectations are limited.

A good mount is every bit as important as the scope.

The only time I’ve ever marred a scope tube with rings was using separate rings to mount a scope on a FAL. It doesn’t take much misalignment to ding a scope tube. And if you ding it near the turrets, you are asking for extra fuckery.

Get a good one-piece mount.

Larue will sell you a set of Delrin ring inserts which reduce a 30mm ring to 1”. I use them. Works great, and protects the scope tube.

Regarding the reticle circle. One “mil” is just a wee bit larger than THREE minutes of angle. That Leupold scope clicks one-TENTH mil per click. Which is almost exactly one-third MOA.

Honestly, I never even think about the circle when I’m using that scope. Just focus on the green dot. It’s beautiful man.

Last edited:

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have two of the older Bushnel AR 1x4 optics with BDC on rifles in primary arms mounts. They were $149 each form PSA. They are OK. BDC's seem to not work after 300 yds using M193, which is disappointing. A cheaper optic is what it is. Will likely serve it's purpose. Check to see if zero floats intermittently

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I just saw a video with on YouTube channel WHO-TEE-WHO featuring an LPVO with a 30mm tube poorly mounted on a Marlin 336 and I'm rethinking my plan.

1640104357546.png

That looks really dumb. I do have a very minimal, low and elegant mount. I think I'm going to park an LPVO from another rifle on mine before I proceed.

I don't want to disparage WHO-TEE-WHO..good for him making videos and I've watched a few...but I can't recommend them for anything but entertainment.

MontanaGrant

FALaholic #
Don’t discount the bushnell. The elites are a class of their own. I have one on a .458 win mag and I love it. Also have a bunch of other elites.

Just pick a nice low mount and you’ll be pleased with it on your .35

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #