• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

School me on this hunting rifle scope

pistolero1911

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I recently purchased an old Browning BLR in .308. It has a Leupold 2 x 7 28mm Vari-X II scope. I was told by the seller that this is a good scope for the caliber and works well for hunting out to 250 - 300 yards [maximum distance he recommended for whitetail in his AO]. I have always hunted with iron sights, but this rifle just feels right with the scope. What say the Filers? Is low power in the eastern woods the way to use it? Inquiring minds want to know. Culling 'yotes and feral hogs would be my primary intended game.

Last edited:

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I don't have that exact scope, but Leopold glass is always solid and the magnification should be adequate for your stated purpose.

I did not realize however there were hogs in OH? That's a bit too close to home. I hope we never get the damn things here.

pistolero1911

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Hogs are in FL, coyotes in OH. Yesterday I was just playing around with the scope on our farm, was able to use it with both eyes open on the least magnification [2x] which allowed me to acquire targets very fast, I liked that aspect of the scope. I think the field of view is around 35' - 40' at 100 yards at 2x. It is an old scope, with a post and crosshair reticle like an inverted L1A1 SUIT.

Randall

FALaholic #
I don't hunt back east, but I do often hunt in the wods. Lowest power in the woods is typically the way to use a variable power scope. The Leupold 2-7 is a nice little scope, and should serve you well on that rifle. But, like all variable scopes...Make sure you site the rifle in. Then change the power on the scope and shoot it again. Did the POI change? Some do. Knowing whether or not it does can make the difference between a dead animal or a wounded animal.
The only way you'll know for sure is to shoot it and see.

MAINER

Old Salt
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
That rig would be the Cat’s Ass for hunting the woods hereabouts.

100 yard shots are rare here unless you hunt the farm field clearings.

Most of my scopes are 1-4, 1.5-4.5 or 2 1/2-8 for general field use.
A 4-16x is mostly a target scope or if I ever get out of woods.
Not looking good on that account.

Elwarpo

FALaholic #
Low power is your friend, a rough rule is 1x per 100 yards, so 2x should be good for 200 yards. On a smaller target like groundhogs more power helps. The key is knowing bullet drop, zero at 200 yards (hunters zero) and anything up to 250 yards will be +/- 3". Get used to the reticle, know how many divisions a coyote fill and you can quickly guess range and adjust for bullet drop. It is probably second focal plane, the reticle stays the same size as you increase magnification, this means it is much harder to range using reticle size unless you always do it on the same magnification (look up first versus second focal plane). Leupold make good scopes, and have a lifetime warranty period, no proof of purchase, registration... needed.

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have had a VariXII 2-7x since 1984, for many years it rode on my .300Win (and took game well past 300yds) and then it spent time on my .375H&H and then a little tim eon my current Sako .308. It has covered many man tough miles and has never let me down. Seems like a good pairing to that rifle as well.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I did not realize however there were hogs in OH? That's a bit too close to home. I hope we never get the damn things here.
Mike,, there are hogs here, right on the other (east) side of the pennyrile pkwy.
I've got a buddy outside Greenville that traps them on his farm a few times a year.
Their about impossible to hunt with the no night hunting restrictions..

pistolero1911

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks to all for some great tips on this scope. I will sight it in at 200 yards on [2x] and then up the magnification step by step with a verification shot at each stop to see if the POI changes. Will note and if necessary make a dope sheet. The scope is second focal plane, reticle stays the same size, no black ring around it, regardless of magnification level. Glad to hear of the lifetime warranty from Leupold, that is awesome.

nvcdl

FALaholic #
The Vari-X II line was Leupold's budget line back in the day. They were decent scopes in their time but I don't think they offered the lifetime warranty on them.

That said 2-7 should be fine for whitetail hunting.

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
That's weird. I've been hunting with 3-9 scopes in heavy woods for 30 years. At 9X. Sometimes higher mag scopes. So does everybody I hunt with. I like being able to count points through the twigs. And shoot them in the neck right below the ear through a little hole in the forest. It's like I hunt in completely different woods than everybody else. I would still trust the Leupold though. I'm looking for something like that for an old 35 Remington.

FP1201

FALaholic #
I did not realize however there were hogs in OH? .
Never been to Cleveland have ya.

That BLR in .308 will do damn near anything you'll ever encounter East of the Mississippi, and is a perennial favorite out West.
It's a fast action, but with that comes a strong distaste for dirt/debris/ice. Don't manhandle it the way one might with a Marlin 336 or Winchester '94 and you should be very pleased with the end results, especially with that Leupold glass.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Leupold fixed a VX-II for me at no charge. It flipped out of my truck off tailgate onto paved road. My fault, they didnt care.

2-7X is terrific for hunting.

motopilot1

FALaholic #
Have the exact same scope on a single shot 243 it is a great scope for what you are doing have shot whitetail and elk from 15 yards to 250 yards with it. You cant go wrong with the 2-7

ByronF

FALaholic #
Back when VX-II was their "new" scope it sure as heck wasnt the budget scope. It was their front line scope of the day. Leupold does a funny thing by keeping older gen scopes in production. The VX-II was top shelf in its day. And is still a mighty fine optic.

And yes, it had lifetime warranty. Like every Leupold scope.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Back when VX-II was their "new" scope it sure as heck wasnt the budget scope. It was their front line scope of the day. Leupold does a funny thing by keeping older gen scopes in production. The VX-II was top shelf in its day. And is still a mighty fine optic.

And yes, it had lifetime warranty. Like every Leupold scope.
Something to keep in mind...
As each new level is upgraded, it becomes the previous level...been like this for decades and a few upgrades....
Ie.. a VX1 made today,,is the same specs as a previous VX2,, so on and so forth.
This means any older scope, like yesteryears vx2 (or possibly even vx3) is only the equivalent of todays vx1.
Contrary to what some with older models think their actually worth secondhand...

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
I like a 2X7 for our woods down here in FL, although I have a fixed 4X on a lot of my “woods” rifles. I am jealous as all get out about your BLR. It is kind of on my list although I do have an ultra-sweet Savage 99 in .308 that is the functional equivalent.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Have a few Leupold 2-7x including illuminated reticle which were my "go to" scopes before the proliference of LPVO scopes. Now I use 1-6x, 1-8x and 1-10x but all my 2-7x Leupolds still have homes on rifles. Seems to me excluding long range varmints after shot is made and adjustments made on scope for shot no matter the power range most were on 6x when the shot was fired. Squirrel with 10/22 custom build, deer, ground hogs, coyote, etc unless am using a flat shooting overbore laser from a blind 6x seems to get it done. Past 300 yards I tend to use as much power as scope will give me.

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
For SFP scopes, the zeroing is determined by the magnification required by the manufacturer. Because of this, you might experience changes in POI when you dial up magnification. If it were me. I would shoot three 100 yard groups at 2X, 4X, and 7X and see where each group centers. I think 3 to 5 shot groups would be a good indicator.