• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Safety seat ?

Hermanthegerman

FALaholic #
I have read and read about the “safety sear” ?
Some articles say it’s safety sear & necessary for proper function in
L1A1
Others call it auto sear & is not used in semi auto L1A1
Thanks to anyone willing to clarify this for me.

Attachments:

enbloc8

FALaholic #
It's intended for full auto fire, and isn't necessary for semiauto-only operation. However, since it ensures that the hammer won't trip until the bolt carrier (and, by extension, the bolt) are fully in battery, it does provide an added degree of safety against out-of-battery discharges (i.e. explosions).

The explanation I read long ago as to why it was left in the L1A1 was that, while the Rifle Steering Committee did not want the automatic feature, any deviation from the original FAL design had to be negotiated with FN (who were VERY hard negotiators), and a royalty paid for each change. The Committee had spent enough time and money negotiating design changes that they considered important, and decided that (as with the carry handle) it was not important enough to endure additional rounds of negotiations and royalty payments to FN. So, they declared it to be a "safety" sear...but, the troops still figured out an illegal way to make their rifles go "burp".

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Our BATF has decided that this device in a semi-auto weapon that would prevent out of battery discharges that can damage the weapon and maim/kill the operator is too dangerous from a regulatory standpoint to be allowed.

Our government at work.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
Some dealers that sold the G series rifles have gone one step further by trimming the long tang on the carrier so if a buyer found a safety sear and a FA selector the rifle would not fire in auto at least correctly.

Some of the commercial 50.63's etal.. also had what I have called in the past semi auto trigger plungers, they also limit over travel in the trigger path.

BC.jpeg FA BOLT CARRIER.jpeg

Last edited:

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Some dealers that sold the G series rifles have gone one step further by trimming the long tang on the carrier so if a buyer found a safety sear and a FA selector the rifle would not fire in auto at least correctly. View attachment 192737 View attachment 192738
Some (apparently not all) of the L1A1As imported by the late Joe Poyer had the same modification.

leftent

FALaholic #
In the late 70's along with a couple of friends I was hired by Alan Lever, the owner of Lever Arms in Vancouver to unload a container of Aussie L1A1s.I think there were 400 rifles in the shipment
packed 5 or 6 to a transit case.
Part of the process involved removing the rifles from the crates and removing the pivot pins so that Alan could grind down the safety sear as described above to meet Canadian regulations.
The rifles were in great shape, and we got the pick of the litter. If I recall the selling price was $400.cad, less if you bought a case. Of course we each bought a rifle. :)
I sold mine off in the early 90's when the government classed them as prohibited firearms. Should have kept it as a safe queen.

Airforce1

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
In the late 70's along with a couple of friends I was hired by Alan Lever, the owner of Lever Arms in Vancouver to unload a container of Aussie L1A1s.I think there were 400 rifles in the shipment
packed 5 or 6 to a transit case.
Part of the process involved removing the rifles from the crates and removing the pivot pins so that Alan could grind down the safety sear as described above to meet Canadian regulations.
The rifles were in great shape, and we got the pick of the litter. If I recall the selling price was $400.cad, less if you bought a case. Of course we each bought a rifle. :)
I sold mine off in the early 90's when the government classed them as prohibited firearms. Should have kept it as a safe queen.
I got my Aussie L1A1 for $cad375.00 in Montréal at a gun dealer. Yes, the safety sear was grinded.

1.JPG

V guy

Silver Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
It is the inter-velometer equipped FAL's, that you have to be wary of.

Last edited: