• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Ruger wrangler .22 revolver with birds head grip.

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Thinking about picking up three or four maybe for the grandkids that are ready for this sort of thing. Just checking with anybody here that might have some real world experience with them, birds head or, the standard grip.
I’m kind of favoring the birds head look at the moment.
😎

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
I have two of the standard grip Wranglers and like them fine. Bought them to shoot SASS competitions with 22 LR to save on scarce centerfire primers. Have had them out plinking a few times and had a lot of fun. I also have an older stainless Single Six but for plinking the Wranglers are more fun. I paid $179 each for mine before the craziness and think that was a real good buy. I have been considering getting a Bird’s Head grip Wrangler as I like that kind of thing.

LYCAN

FALaholic #
Heritage for better Accuracy (and ability to swap between .22 LR/.22 MAG) - included or OEM Aftermarket.

Wrangler for Prettier Cosmetics

Birds head better for smaller hands.

Birds head best for short to med. length barrels, anything over 5" its better to go with standard grip - for better balance.

And I agree, Birds head has a unique & ol' timey feel & look. So for your intentions, I would be leaning that way too.

By chance, if you change your mind & go with Heritage, avoid the "Bar Keep" (because the barrel is so short, it has no ejection rod built in, its a separate tool)

(Birds Head) Standard:

Birds Head:

Bar Keep:

This is New!
Bar Keep "Boot"

Heritage also has a whole slew of different grip options, included or aftermarket* (*after market OEM grips avg. $30)

Blue Pearl, Pink Pearl, White Pearl, Cocobolo, American flag, etc...

Last edited:

LYCAN

FALaholic #
repost - of my initial post:

Fair play, can't speak first hand.

But literally have heard the SAME Thing, unsolicited - for at least the last year.

To the Point:

MANY Ppl returning & bitching about how bad Ruger Wrangler SUCKS!!!! Like Crazy BAD sucks on accuracy.

And how Heritage is absolutely crushing it!!!! ( On *Accuracy*)

Here's the rub', Heritage still has blem finishes & cosmetic flaws galore.... but Astounding Accuracy, according to majority of reviews.

Flip Side, Wrangler has Solid Cosmetic praise, but absolute shit performance. I wouldn't even mention it, if I hadn't heard it physically 1st hand so often, over last year or two.

I got a few Heritage, can confirm CQ on finishing is garbage. Abysmal even.

Haven't got around to shooting them yet.

As to the Wrangler, never owned or fired one personally. They do look cosmetically flawless.

I was & still am, genuinely surprised at the high volume , VERY high volume of complaints in regards to the Wrangler accuracy (or utter LACK of Accuracy)

my 2 cents

my definition of poor/abysmal = 2 scratches or scuffs, or more.

NRA standard is too broad/forgiving, in my humble opinion

LYCAN

FALaholic #
BTW, another cool fact:

William H. Bonney - aka: Billy the Kid...

Was very fond, and even called upon - his Bird head Revolver was his favorite. (Handgun)

Other findings note he was also, if not more, appreciative & grateful for his Lever-Action Winchester.

The Legend & Nickel novels of the day, praise him & his pistol, historically Birds Head Pistol\Revolver

BUT.....

*Personal* Correspondence, several (ie: letters penned & mailed, as well as authenticated)

His highest preference was his Winchester, of which he even noted during a post shootout.

Griping about how he could be doing better, if he had it.

Iirc - History Channel ran special on it

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
By the way, if any of you Mod’s want to combine my two threads I don’t mind at all of course. I was just trying to find traction.

Goodwill 🤓

lew

FALaholic #
I was just going to ask about the Ruger.

I have heard/seen a lot of negative accounts of the Heritage guns. The cosmetics certainly do not inspire.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Bearcats had square grips and birdsheads if I remember correctloy. That thing does not look like a Bearcat but if wasn't hearing all the accuracy complaints its attractive enough to own. I am so used to "fixing" Rugers from Redhawks to 10/22s, Mini 14s, etc to make them shoot figure its part of their deal unless have some Blackhawks and Flat Tops laid back. Of course their new Precision Bolt Rifles shoot well.

nightschneider

Contributor
FALaholic #
I picked up a birdshead wrangler because it was adorable and I’m a child. I’ve always had a thing for the look of that grip frame.

I heard the lamentations of the accuracy to expect. I’m pretty pleased with mine. Fit and finish is good.

The sights are decent. The trigger is okay.

With CCI standard vel I was in the 1.5” neighborhood at 10 yards. CCI shorts were about the same.

Aguila super extra 40 gr was more like 2.5”

That’s all I’ve tried to date. That’s standing two hand with all of them…so mechanical accuracy is likely better.

Shooting steel fast is damn fun.

I bought the gun for fun, and it delivers. It’s accurate enough for my needs.

I’m happy with it.

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I shot a SASS match with my two Wranglers yesterday in “Gunfighter” division and had a blast. I really like these pistolas.
Cool! 😎 are you a two handed shooter like old MOS11nutsy banana, lol?

Just kidding about that actually, but it is fun to shoot two-handed like that. I’ve never had a pair of matching pistols to do that with. The closest is shooting one of my 1911 Government models alongside an officer size 1911 two handed. Not quite the same thing but still, exciting it’s own way. I would like to do it with a couple of six gunz just like Josie Wales!
I have shot a pair of model 15 Smith & Wesson’s two handed though. One a 4”, the other a 6”.* I shot them double action though instead of single action.

😎

*edit

Last edited: