• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Para Bolt Carrier - home-made?

Toadvine

FALaholic #
I’m working to gather parts for a Rhodie para. I have 2 para bolt carriers.

I want to know which is appropriate for my build - and if anyone can tell me anything about the home-made carrier?

I’m no expert, but I can’t find any others that appear to be home-made like one of the carriers pictured here.

I will post more photos of it. Someone took some time to build this thing

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I had a 1/2 dozen of them I sold 2 years ago and think those 2 were part of the lot I had. A couple of threads got started by me and the buyer I sold them to. Nothing ever was turned up as to how they came about. I did use one for a time and it functioned fine.

Toadvine

FALaholic #
I had a 1/2 dozen of them I sold 2 years ago and think those 2 were part of the lot I had. A couple of threads got started by me and the buyer I sold them to. Nothing ever was turned up as to how they came about. I did use one for a time and it functioned fine.
Melt I bought mine from the Files - probably from you - but I’m curious as to the carrier’s history.

TraFALgar

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I thought I remembered from somewhere that the para carriers with the welded tubes were conversions done by Rhodesian armorers. But maybe that's just a romantic Internet myth to make them more rare & desirable. ;) If they were done by the Rhodies, they would probably have used South African carriers which would have some tombstone proofs inside.
But on the other hand, here's an old thread from 2003 regarding "solo PARA bolt carriers" where
idsubgun said:
George Philpot of Geory Arms, Mtn Home, ID has been making them for years.

Last edited:

FTH61

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
South Africa made DIY para carriers for the folding stock FALs used by South African Police during their arms embargo.

Also made by Zimbabwe for their DIY folding stock FALs

Here's the thread re these DIY carriers.
Nothing definative here.

Likely not Rhodie diy as other than the FN captures and the occasional South African folder, they really didnt use folders much.

Last edited:

sbl11

FALaholic #
South Africa made DIY para carriers for the folding stock FALs used by South African Police during their arms embargo.

Also made by Zimbabwe for their DIY folding stock FALs

Here's the thread re these DIY carriers.
Nothing definative here.

Likely not Rhodie diy as other than the FN captures and the occasional South African folder, they really didnt use folders much.
Any pictures of the Zimbabwe folders Frank?

Toadvine

FALaholic #
I love this site. Tons of information!

Story, my gun won’t win any beauty contests. I gathered up parts from the Marketplace here, a few from GB and Brad Washa provided some as well.

I have one of those DSA R1 uppers inbound. It’ll serve well for the build. DSA got the contours of the R1 receiver pretty close - not perfect, but close.
I’m looking forward to getting it all done.

FTH61

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
Hmmm. Will it be this fugly???

Toadvine

FALaholic #
Lol! FTH61, that looks like my guns brother!

Mine has a 21” barrel, and no grenade sight gas plug. Beyond that, pretty similar.

I’ll post some pics of the parts when I get home

Last edited:

sbl11

FALaholic #
Hmmm. Will it be this fugly???

Glad that lower worked out for you! It is a mystery as to who made it!