• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

New Rhodesian Shotgun Thread

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
One more time! Okay, while doing some yard chore evading internet surfing, I came across the thread linked below. Unfamiliar with the web site, but it appears to have some decent support. I recognize the OP as a contributor on other sites with a special interest in the Rhodesian FN Police Model (A8 or A9?) shotguns, as do I. This thread just appeared yesterday, kinda interesting it came up on my sporadic search, maybe a once a calendar quarter indulgence of mine.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-saga-of-the-rhodesian-shotgun.82607/

Some old rehash, some new data, likely worth while only if you are already interested in these shotguns. You'll need to scroll down past a long length of gibberish on page 2. As to numbers, again probably less than 700 of these units were made since there have been a fair number of RA inventory numbers turned up here and no numbers of 700 or higher have shown. My random occurrence tabulation linked below.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/thread...5460&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-3915460

FAL4888

Contributor
FALaholic #
The donor I got from Simpson limited an FN A5 with sling swivels for $610 shipped. The fore end is going to be two A5 for ends refinished and mated together. I was fortunate to get a wood parts lot and the A5 extra fore end was in the lot. My builder says he can craft a 10 shot tube, we shall see.

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
I've got some extra wood fore ends myself (note Rem. Mod. 11 and Savage 720/45/50/75 fore ends will work just as well), but am resisting the joining process while seeking out alternatives, including perhaps fashioning one myself from a solid block of wood or a laminate.

1717533966638.png

Interested in your mag tube construction and the machinist charge for the work. The appropriate tube stock is easily available, but machining the different end threading is a bit tricky, as is more particularly the reaming the mag follower stop.

FAL4888

Contributor
FALaholic #
You will not be able to tell he crafted two wood pieces together his work is exceptional and it will be cheap. He does all my builds and they are outstanding. Hardest part was finding the FN A5 and not the browning.

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
By "FN and not Browning" do you mean you got a "world market" edition without the froof engraving on the receiver sides? If so, nice score, looking for one of those uncommon items myself. Hope the fore arm splice comes out well, also would like feedback on the mag tube fabrication if you're amenable. Looking forward to pics!

FAL4888

Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes the FN was the European version and they are tricky to find especially for a deal. I will send you pics and all details of the mag tube fabrication that he does and answer any questions you have. Love to see you get one done as well.

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
@Invictus77 If you don’t mind what did you use for the front sight? Thanks in advance
I put a square across the receiver flat on top then used a center-finder aligned to that to locate a new bead at the end of the barrel.

MWGW, Brownells, and others all sell new beads.

1717611286732.jpeg

maxblaster

FALaholic #
My 2 cents worth, Traditionalists will like wood fore arms, and that is great, looks great...is great. I've been heavily into Auto 5's my whole adult life, been through a bunch, well experienced.... I'm all about and Auto 8, but in my opinion not worth the trouble without a synthetic / carbon fiber forearm. Does anyone know of an entity with those skill sets or capability?. Possibly build a two sectioned Wood forearm and have it analyzed, digitally scanned, what have you...., to produce a 3D Print of the long front forearm (?) Ramblings...

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
My 2 cents worth, Traditionalists will like wood fore arms, and that is great, looks great...is great. I've been heavily into Auto 5's my whole adult life, been through a bunch, well experienced.... I'm all about and Auto 8, but in my opinion not worth the trouble without a synthetic / carbon fiber forearm. Does anyone know of an entity with those skill sets or capability?. Possibly build a two sectioned Wood forearm and have it analyzed, digitally scanned, what have you...., to produce a 3D Print of the long front forearm (?) Ramblings...
Yes, the majority of older enthusiasts prefer wood with steel, which may be why Browning, Remington and Savage continued with the natural cellulose fore ends on their auto shotguns long after synthetics became a better alternative. But even graybeards are coming around. The old RamLine/Champion synthetic stock replacements for the Browning Auto-5 that used to sell for $50 a copy went up to $200 when production ceased and inventories ran out, and now go for $300+ on Fleabay as a certain private seller dribbles out the stash in his garage. The great attraction is the fore end over the butt stock, as the former is the item that more typically tends to crack. Speaking of which, I just scored a RamLine Auto-5 fore end off the 'Bay for $25 delivered. The seller had no idea what he had, just described it as "Shotgun Forend Black Polymer/Plastic", accompanied by a non-identifiable pic. Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut. ;)

Were I to buy or make a spliced two-piece wood fore end, I would certainly add a fiberglass backing to preclude splitting. But a decent polymer is just so much a better solution than wood. I suppose I could have someone do a scan on my Police Model wood fore end and 3D print a copy, except no way am I going to send off the non-replaceable original part.

maxblaster

FALaholic #
Yes, the majority of older enthusiasts prefer wood with steel, which may be why Browning, Remington and Savage continued with the natural cellulose fore ends on their auto shotguns long after synthetics became a better alternative. But even graybeards are coming around. The old RamLine/Champion synthetic stock replacements for the Browning Auto-5 that used to sell for $50 a copy went up to $200 when production ceased and inventories ran out, and now go for $300+ on Fleabay as a certain private seller dribbles out the stash in his garage. The great attraction is the fore end over the butt stock, as the former is the item that more typically tends to crack. Speaking of which, I just scored a RamLine Auto-5 fore end off the 'Bay for $25 delivered. The seller had no idea what he had, just described it as "Shotgun Forend Black Polymer/Plastic", accompanied by a non-identifiable pic. Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut. ;)

Were I to buy or make a spliced two-piece wood fore end, I would certainly add a fiberglass backing to preclude splitting. But a decent polymer is just so much a better solution than wood. I suppose I could have someone do a scan on my Police Model wood fore end and 3D print a copy, except no way am I going to send off the non-replaceable original part.
I'll give you $30.00 Bucks for that RL Poly Forearm ! Light or magnum?

I Have an unused Champion (formerly Ramline) stock set and noticed its not so thick/bulky or as heavy as the factory Browning Synthetics ...

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
You're too generous with your fore arm offer, I'm afraid I must graciously decline. ;) I think there is just one set for both magnum and standard shotguns, included is a short tube to take up the space left by the shorter standard action spring and travel.

Yeah, I have a NIB Champion A5 stock set myself that I bought years ago when MGW came up with them from somewhere (already out of production I think) and sold them initially for $80 when I bought, then up to $200 a pop when their inventory ran out. Nothing since has shown up other than by individual aftermarket sellers as far as I know. The RamLine set I bought eons ago for $50 was used for an Auto-5 HD conversion.

1717707266262.png

MGW may still have a Browning issue polymer stock for $150, but no matching fore ends are left last I checked.

I have a home shop machinist friend who is going to look over a spare standard Auto-5 mag tube I have and perhaps advise me on replication methods and cost. If nothing else he can likely tell me which local machine shops might be able to give it a go, whether better a complete tube or else a thin sleeve to join a simple extension.

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
I'll give you $30.00 Bucks for that RL Poly Forearm ! Light or magnum?

I Have an unused Champion (formerly Ramline) stock set and noticed its not so thick/bulky or as heavy as the factory Browning Synthetics ...
Am I looking out for you or what? ;) Link below for a Fleabay non-auction BIN offer of a RamLine/Champion Auto-5 synthetic fore arm for $44.99 plus $8.50 shipping from a large dealer. Will work for a standard/light Auto-5 if you put in a simple tubing spacer as noted previously.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375470842498

Not as good a deal as my find, but still worth it if you're looking for this item. Good luck!

maxblaster

FALaholic #
Am I looking out for you or what? ;) Link below for a Fleabay non-auction BIN offer of a RamLine/Champion Auto-5 synthetic fore arm for $44.99 plus $8.50 shipping from a large dealer. Will work for a standard/light Auto-5 if you put in a simple tubing spacer as noted previously.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375470842498

Not as good a deal as my find, but still worth it if you're looking for this item. Good luck!
Buy the time I got this it was gone... advertised as a forearm for a magnum.... It was an original Browning Auto 5 light forearm !

Anyway, next time. Posting this for the thread followers enjoyment...