• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

New Jane's GUNS

Status

Ghost

FALaholic #
The Fully updated second edition of Jane's GUNS Recognition Guide by Ian Hogg has some errors. Just recived my copy in mail and was fliping through it and noticed that some of the pictures are wrong the IMBEL MD2, FN FNC,FN CAL, US M4 carbine, and the text under the M16A2 is the C7 text. also some of the text will appear under one gun only to show up again under another don't rember exactly whitch ones. some of the pictures of the guns I'm not as aquainted with also be wrong. I think there are to many mistakes for a refrence. so you should double check and not take every thing at face value. I don't mean to bash. But I have seen other Jane's books that have gotten it correct.
I just wish all the FAL related guns had been right, and was disipointed at the lack of inch reprisentation. thats all I have to say about that.

Wadman

FALaholic #
I've heard of errors by Ian Hogg before. Maybe he's written too many books? When in doubt, I'd cross reference with a recent Jane's Infantry Weapons if you have access to one.

=======================================================

Just to be sure we're all on the same page, we're talking about the small paperback books published by Harper-Collins, right? Not the big, heavy, hardbound ones published by Janes Information Group that you see in the background on A&E documentaries and edited by Terry Gander & Charles Cutshaw.

[This message has been edited by Wadman (edited November 07, 2000).]

smle

FALaholic #
The problem might not be the author but the publisher who sets the print and pictures. If they screw this up and it arrives at a major printing plant of the kind that handles these books there is very little chance unless it is a linguistic or layout mistake that it will be caught. They simply do not have trained QA people for these tasks. Furthermore until a book is run totally it is nearly impossible for a printer to catch any error as a cut cylinder or plate may have two pages that in a book are actually far apart. Besides even if mistakes were made the literal cost in ink,paper,backing and machine use to print,cut,trim,bind and cover a book like these is huge!!!!! Destroying even several thousand would be serious money. It would be interesting to see if later books or those bought by the DoD etc. have these same mistakes. To put this in perspective to replace 125k National Geographic books ran with a out of line editorial would have cost almost a quarter of a million dollars in dead waste paper etc. This does not include the 48 hours of overtime, machine time and 35k dollars to recut a cylinder. These large hard back technical reference manuals are some of the hardest books to produce and they cost a lot to make. They may have caught the error but due to cost went ahead and shipped them anyway while changing any mistakes in later runs. Then again Mr. Hogg may be senile.

Jen

Head Baby Sitter
Staff member
FALaholic #
Thanks for the review. Was going to purchase this book as well as Janes Infantry Weapons, but decided on just the IW after hearing that my favorite weapons weren't accurately listed.

On another note.. BN.com decided to send my IW book 3 day select.. that would be great except that I'm in a 2 day zone and by sending it 3 day UP$ won't deliver it until the third day. *SMIRK*

Status