• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

New AUG?

WrocketWrecks

FALaholic #
I'm considering an AUG, $1,599 at Atlantic. My first one, so I'm not familiar with them. They used to have chrome lined barrels from FN, now nitrided? Any good? Receivers as good as original Steyrs? Why are 30 rd. mags different prices, $29 and $43? Thanks.

Attachments:

LYCAN

FALaholic #
Get the one that takes AUG mags, not the ar15. JMHO.
I hear that off & on.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts/opinion.

An AUG, is practically - if not Actually, my literal "Last Unicorn"

I have heard the mag debate many times but I'm curious your thoughts/outlook/etc

Thanks in advance đź‘Ť

Douglas S Graham

FALaholic #
The Aug FACTORY mags aren't cheap, but not out of range either, I have a bunch of them. I have quite a few ar's, but I would never buy an AUG that takes 'em. That is just me, I suppose. I have a ton of ar mags too. NOTHING is quite like AUG mags. AUGs have come down in price some, I paid 1900.00 for mine. NO regrets though. I replaced the Charge handle with one that works better with a scope, the cheese grater top can eat you up pretty good. Also replaced the mag release and put better springs into the trigger group. Just because. The springs did make a difference, and weren't that hard to put in .

Douglas S Graham

FALaholic #
The Aug FACTORY mags aren't cheap, but not out of range either, I have a bunch of them. I have quite a few ar's, but I would never buy an AUG that takes 'em. That is just me, I suppose. I have a ton of ar mags too. NOTHING is quite like AUG mags. AUGs have come down in price some, I paid 1900.00 for mine. NO regrets though. I replaced the Charge handle with one that works better with a scope, the cheese grater top can eat you up pretty good. Also replaced the mag release and put better springs into the trigger group. Just because. The springs did make a difference, and weren't that hard to put in . The mags come in different round capacities, hence the price difference. I have both. Haven't used the big mags yet. LOL.

AllOuttaBubblegum

FALaholic #
I can’t compare the FN barrel to the nitride one since I have a newer AUG. If you find a barrel you want to try later they just switch out even faster than an AR. I got mine from Atlantic, they were super easy to work with especially since I messed my order up. Good prices too

Get the 42 rd mags, red trigger springs and a slappable charging handle. Find a cleaning kit and put it in the rear compartment. The AUG kit is actually pretty good. Sights are a whole other discussion but I run a LPVO 1-6 on mine. I like it because it’s basically a red dot at no magnification and a scope if you need it

WrocketWrecks

FALaholic #
I can’t compare the FN barrel to the nitride one since I have a newer AUG. If you find a barrel you want to try later they just switch out even faster than an AR. I got mine from Atlantic, they were super easy to work with especially since I messed my order up. Good prices too

Get the 42 rd mags, red trigger springs and a slappable charging handle. Find a cleaning kit and put it in the rear compartment. The AUG kit is actually pretty good. Sights are a whole other discussion but I run a LPVO 1-6 on mine. I like it because it’s basically a red dot at no magnification and a scope if you need it
Yeah, they have them @ 1599 right now. Is your LPVO illuminated? Thanks for the info.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
I am surprised an FN barrel was not good. Accuracy problems?
Poorly done, uneven chroming. Not sure the accuracy was that bad, but when you see folks posting borescope photos against Steyr originals and other manufacturers, you see that it was not very good. This was at arfcom, IIRC, so no idea how to navigate that mess with their crappy search function to find something two or three years old.

Douglas S Graham

FALaholic #
I changed my AUG to left handed, added case deflector, and mag release. I think they are Corvus?? Memory isn't what it used to be. The cool thing about the AUG is the barrel change out. Easy peasy, none easier that I ever handled. So you can buy a 20 or 24 in. barrel and install it in minutes. The 24 comes with bipod and runs about 850.00 . I had a 20 in. barrel but sold it, unfired. Just needed money for something else. The AUG is pretty unique, and way cool. I hope to own a second one again. LOL. I put a LPVO on mine, and it is my FAVE .223 rifle. Also, the complete gun comes apart in minutes, if you are into spot cleaning everthing.

Gazz

FALaholic #
So no explanation of why Steyr mags over AR mags? I would think that most folks who have ARs and plenty of mags would be better off. unless there is a reliability issue.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
So no explanation of why Steyr mags over AR mags? I would think that most folks who have ARs and plenty of mags would be better off. unless there is a reliability issue.
Trigger sucks worse than proprietary and no options for lefties with that setup. The Steyr magazines are tougher than PMAGs and the 42rd have a noticeable increase in firepower while still being reliable, unlike shit like drums, which are range toys mostly.

Morbidangel90

FALaholic #
if i recall correctly, if you go with the NATO stock that takes AR15 mags, you lose the bolt hold open feature whereas if you go with the standard stock that takes aug mags, you keep it.