• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Never Thought I'd Buy a Hunting Rifle But....

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
It is a fine tutorial that I missed the first go around. Does anyone know how the full length wood stock affects barrel harmonics, thus accuracy. I know nothing about this type of rifle. Thanks~ss
Been using these types in Europe since Mauser was in short pants, all over Africa, for big game animals, seems to be pretty well accurate enough...

Combloc

FALaholic #
That's one of the things about this site I find amazing. Somebody takes the time and the trouble to write up and photograph a better illustration of a rifle than you'll find in a lot of paid publications, that is also a work of art, and just puts it here among us. Isn't that just grand?

Awwww shucks!!! My most sincere appreciation to you sir.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
It is a fine tutorial that I missed the first go around. Does anyone know how the full length wood stock affects barrel harmonics, thus accuracy. I know nothing about this type of rifle. Thanks~ss
Long stocks do have an affect. The affects can be mitigated by full length bedding. Some rifles use a simple pressure point at the muzzle but are otherwise free floated. The Enfield SMLE rifle's original, factory forearms were built like this, just off the top of my head. By mitigated I mean controlled. Either way of building the rifle, either fully bedded or with a pressure point up front is meant to produce consistent pressures against the barrel, pressures that don't move or change. This is the key to their accuracy. If you want to ruin the accuracy of a long stocked, euro type rifle, sand away the pressure pad up front in an attempt to free float the barrel. Often times the result is opposite of what one expects.

ridgerunner1488

FALaholic #
Amazing piece of work.
I fell in love with mannlichers when I was a kid.
Man that my dad let hunt on our land in the ozarks had one in 6.5 x54 and I always told myself one day I would own one.
Well thanks to the good lord and BNSF I have always had great paying jobs.
So at last count I have 16 mannlichers made by various companies including steyr sako and CZ.
And for the price you paid if you ever want your money back let me know.
Because you got a great deal

OMCHamlin

FALaholic #
You bought a piece of hand crafted European firearms perfection. This rifle was hand fit by master gunsmiths. Skills like this are mostly lost nowadays.

I would submit that $1130 is a fair market value. You've basically purchased an heirloom. I bet it shoots really nicely too.
$1130? I'm pretty out of "disposable income" right now but I'd buy it and flog other stuff until I covered the tab for it, that is beautiful, excellent pics, too!

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
There's one of these on GB right now, was looking at it last night. I kind of got a little excited until I read through the description and found out if had rebarreled with a non-Steyr barrel from .243 to .308. Had it been with a Steyr barrel and still had iron sights I might not have been able to resist a bid. This thread alone convinced me I really like the rifles.

Still a very nice rifle as it is. Just not $2k nice, for me.

TraFALgar

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Combloc,
Thank you for the photo essay. That's a beautiful rifle and you're very fortunate to have found it.
And to the reader, thank you for your time and attention. May God bless you and keep you from harm. May He guide you to the light at the end of this life and may He provide for all your future endeavors.
As I came to this ending of the first post, I was listening to Sleepsong by Secret Garden and I swear the following verse was playing at the same time I read your above quote.
May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm
Now is that synchronicity or what? Thank you for the blessing! 😇

grumpy1

FALaholic #
Wow, that was a great write up! I’ve always like the Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles ever since I read about them as a kid of about 14 or so. I’ve never known anyone that has one, it seems like not many have made it west of the mighty Mississippi River.

I’ve looked at them over the years and what you paid was a steal. Most of the ones that I’ve seen come up for sale over the past 20 years have been over $1200 and have gone up from there. All the wear is from honest use and not abuse. That was someone‘s prized rifle, they probably could have bought a couple Winchester or Remingtons for the same money.

MAINER

Been there done it
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Not quite, in 1953 anyway. The Steyr is listed at $190 and a Winchester 70 at $120.95 according to a quick check.
$70.00 was a good bit of cash in the ‘50’s, likely more than a working man made in a week or a Winchester 94 for $69.00.
Assless Chaps not included, but them things never caught on in the North country anyways. Too drafty, I would suppose.

alphadog58

FALaholic #
That's gorgeous! And +1on everything everyone else said about it. I'm kind of looking for one in 6.5 M-S. Just because I have a shit ton of new brass in that caliber...
Larry