• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Multicaliber Pistol Suppressor

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Currently have an Osprey 9 am using on 9mm, 380 etc plus have used it for rimfire and 22 Hornet rifles. Have an Osprey 45 use on 45 acp and 40 Smith majority of time. Have a rimfire suppressor dedicated to my Beretta Minx and Jetfire series of tiny 22s and their odd thread pattern. Have multiple 1/2"×28 thread rimfire cans that can jump from rifles to pistols and a pair of TiRant suppressors that based on endcap and piston use can run on 22 Hornet to 460 Weatherby Mag on rifles and any pistol it does not make too front end heavy.

One of my TiRants is on my SIG 1911 Tacops, while a bit long balances well and is vewy vewy qwiet. Other TiRant is on my 338 LM turn bolt. Have multiple 5.56 and 30 caliber switch barrel and direct thread cans plus a couple Form 1 cans built just to pin onto a pair of my 458 SOCOMs as single stamp rifles instead of two stamp SBR with removable can. Have my original Sionics M11 cans which use rubber wipes which are a pain so generally run my Osprey 9 on my M11a1s then Sionics on M11/Nines if not the Osprey 9 again.

In trying to think long term most important addition to my suppressor inventory is a good pistol can that is not overly large like my TiRants but with piston and end cap swaps does well on anything from 380 to 460 Rowland. If doesn't like Rowland pressure 45 acp or 45 GAP topout is acceptable. Honestly need two then retire the Sionics to just occasional use on retro days and dedicate both TiRants to rifle use. Recently moved the TiRant off my 1911 Tacops to 458 SOCOM AR pistol and worked well.

So for say M11A1 select fire, possible use on midsize frame 380 but 85% use from 9mm to 45 acp what does group recommend. Like being able to swap endcaps to keep as much gas as possible in the can. Using my Osprey 45 on 40 or 9mm the blow by becomes more noticeable as caliber decreased. Same if thread my Osprey 9 on a 22 Mag or 22 LR repeater.

Want to have option of endcaps from at least 0.250" to 0.460" and variety of pistons while not tipping a Ruger Mk 2 heavy barrel or Walther PK 380 so muzzle heavy it's not fun or able to contain the blast from a 40 Smith without sounding unsuppressed. Vote for your best multi-use pistol suppressor.

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Don't have a vote, just a question. What's your go-to loads for the .458 SOCOM? Do you load 'em all the same or subsonics with a heavier boolit for the suppressor?

No can on mine, so I've standardized on a Hornady 325 grain FTX at ~1900 fps.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I don't think anyone makes such an animal. The Griffin Optimus 9 does everything from .22 rimfire all the way through .300 WinMag. But nothing bigger than 9mm/.38. Making a universal can big enough to pass a .500 bullet won't work for shit for smaller calibers.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
My TiRants do pretty good with smaller projectiles as long as you make sure to swap the end cap. Use a 0.240" endcap with 223/5.56 and it helps hold the cases in the can at least till projectile leaves. Have four different sized end caps for them.

On occasion I use the 350ish grain Barnes, 325 and 500 grain Hornady's plus LeHigh and others. Have bullet molds in 400, 500, 550 and 600 grains. My 550 grain mold is a hollow point mold and use 16 BHN lead and load to 1,050 fps. When speed limit is the speed of sound then only way to add energy is add weight. The 550 grain cast lead HPs hit hogs like a sledge hammer. Even if hit a big bone bullet just crushes it and if one happens to run leaves a blood trail can follow without night vision.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
When go to Atlanta doctors/outpatient surgical always carry a pair of suppressed binary AR15s in rifle locks under rear seat of her truck and a suppressed pistol in case get involved in road rage incident. Built wife and I each one of these with full auto rated suppressor.

When we get back after had my nerve blocks or RFA on spine wife doesn't let me unload truck except for my carry and briefcase with the suppressed pistol. Yesterday we got home and two squirrels were in tree at rear corner of house and knew they would run before able to unlock and grab suppressed 10/22 near door. Slipped the SIG 1911 Tacops (had Osprey 45 can installed) and tapped one with a Hornady Critical Defense 185 grain HP. Odd how they will penetrate a car door then not expand till hit flesh. Bullet hit squirrel and nearly separated it into two pieces. Funny as heck but wife was not as amused.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Huey, I think the "standardizing" ship left the port in your situatuon. Standardizing on a common suppressor is easier if one first standardizes their firearms/calibers. But what fun is that.