• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Making a 22 FAL from orphaned bits

ActionYobbo

FALaholic #
The seed is a barrel I picked up years ago that some one had removed the threads at the chamber end. I grabbed it back then with the idea of using one of those century castings but now I have a Williams receiver and so I will use a barrel stub to graft threads back onto the barrel and then drill the barrel to 8mm and install a a 22 barrel liner. I have scrounged the parts box and here’s where I am at. (See pic) This will be a slow build it’s taken a few years to get this far.
I am still scrounging up needed parts and trying to figure out an easy to make 22 conversion. I am thinking of using a 10-22 bolt or an ar15 22 conversion kit.
I have a cmmg 22 magazine so I might try and find a 5.56 mag well adapter or fit the 22 mag inside a fal mag body.
This Wont be a correct historic 22 conversion. It will be what I can cobble together from available parts with minimal machining work. At this point I am looking at all manner of semi 22 bolts and doing a bunch of comparisons. If you have been down this road or have any input post below or pm me. I will update my progress as I go. Thanks

Attachments:

Last edited:

ActionYobbo

FALaholic #
Looks like you have a long, long way to go yet.
I’ve procrastinated for years but now I am motivated so it won’t be that long.
The basic plan is to use easy to get parts and with no major modifications make it work. By no major modifications I mean stuff most people can do at home. I am currently working with a glenfield 60 bolt and an old fal bolt carrier. If I cut the carrier into 3 segments it might work. The front segment will hold the chamber and barrel liner in place. The middle segment will carry the bolt and the rear segment will hold and position the guide rod and recoil spring.
2 problems With that are the charging handle lug and I have no ejector figured out.

Last edited:

Armsdad

FALaholic #
Well if you seen some my post in this section you will see I'm all for Makin stuff work. Hope ya get it goin. That would be a fun and cheap shooter.

Last edited:

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
This thread's gonna need music, Doc

I like the rhythm, nice and hectic for fabricating in an all assholes and elbows sort of way.
Perhaps try grafting a 10/22 receiver into the host Aluma bomb receiver. Situated in such a way that a FAL top cover can slide over the top to help conceal it and then, dangle all the rest of the FAL parts on it. You might have to grind the bejeebers of the outside dimensions on the 10/22 fits snugly inside but, who cares, it’s just a 10/22. Jimmy Jack a linkage from the FAL lower/ trigger to the 10/22 trigger. You wouldn’t need the hammer or, disconnector bits. I’m just trying to use my imagination out loud. Shit yeah. I’m all for it and, you’ll be way cooler than me and, maybe most of us on the board. Do it! I need a new hero. The old ones are getting kind of boring. Or maybe it’s just their old. Yeah that’s it, they’re getting old. 😎

ActionYobbo

FALaholic #
I like the rhythm, nice and hectic for fabricating in an all assholes and elbows sort of way.
Perhaps try grafting a 10/22 receiver into the host Aluma bomb receiver. Situated in such a way that a FAL top cover can slide over the top to help conceal it and then, dangle all the rest of the FAL parts on it. You might have to grind the bejeebers of the outside dimensions on the 10/22 fits snugly inside but, who cares, it’s just a 10/22. Jimmy Jack a linkage from the FAL lower/ trigger to the 10/22 trigger. You wouldn’t need the hammer or, disconnector bits. I’m just trying to use my imagination out loud. Shit yeah. I’m all for it and, you’ll be way cooler than me and, maybe most of us on the board. Do it! I need a new hero. The old ones are getting kind of boring. Or maybe it’s just their old. Yeah that’s it, they’re getting old. 😎
Before I start chopping into the receiver I am going to do my best to make this a do it your self drop in conversion. With no mods to the receiver just mods to the carrier and the marlin 60 bolt. I have the charging handle problem and the ejector worked out. The ejector will be on the magazine. It’s -8 here today so when warmer weather gets here I will start making this

ActionYobbo

FALaholic #
Got some time to work on this today. Step 1 is repairing the threads on a factory 17” para barrel that I got from a member here that had the threads turned off. I have a barrel stub I bored out to make a threaded collar to slip onto the barrel that’s turned down and a bit of loctite 609 and a grub screw and it’s ready to become a 22. I am going to run am 8mm reamer down the bore to give clearance for the liner instead of turning the liner down.

Attachments:

ActionYobbo

FALaholic #
Round 1 of bolt mods.

edit to add:
If you are following this with the thought's of making your own conversion don’t do any mods to the bolt just yet. I am almost finished the bolt mods but I had to weld up a sections that I previously cut away.
I will post step by step bolt mods with dimensions as soon as I have this one up and running

Attachments:

Last edited:

ActionYobbo

FALaholic #
1 step forward 2 steps back.
Tossed the carrier in the fireplace to anneal it so I can cut, drill and tap it. That’s the step forward. First step back is the FAL ejector is right in the way. Second step back is I had to cut into the firing pin slot to get the bolt low enough to line up with the chamber.

ActionYobbo

FALaholic #
Some shots of the bolt now fitting in the carrier and a shot of what it looks like from the magwell. There is becoming less and less of the glenfield bolt. I still have to work out how the firing pin is going to fit and cut some reliefs in the carrier for the extractors to be able to work. 73CC20E7-4428-42F3-AD32-300E5CDEDB43.jpeg 15FB5918-CFC6-4A23-8EEA-1AE31996F179.jpeg

edit to add:
If you are following this with the thought's of making your own conversion don’t do any mods to the bolt just yet. I am almost finished with the bolt mods but I had to weld up a sections that I previously cut away.
I will post step by step bolt mods with dimensions as soon as I have this one up and running

Last edited: