• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Magazines: survey of FAL magazines for markings

Jambo

FALaholic #
4 metric magazines:

2 type #2's (both from Tulsa Gun Show last April) $3 or $4
1 has a floor plate with exact same numbers as in the picture, has a "3" inside a circle, and the follower is a little different. It doesn't have the tabs that hold it onto the magazine spring and the tab that catches the bolt hold open is a simple "L" shaped protrusion, instead of the ledge-type tabs on other followers (Type 4 follower). There is also an unidentifiable marking on the back of the magazine at the bottom.

The other one has a blank follower, and on the back of the magazine body around the bottom there's an upside-down "M" with an under line. There is also an unidentifiable marking on the back, at the bottom. It almost looks like a lower case "g" on its side. Looking at it upside-downupside-down: I think it's a "6" inside an upside down "U". Next to it is what I think is an "A" inside a circle, on its side. The faded circle and faded upside-down scrunched together make it look like a "g" on its side. And it has a Type 2 follower

2 type #4's (both from Tapco)
Both magazines have no visible markings on either the floorplates or the bodies, except one; on the back, around the bottom, it has a stamped circle with some illegible squigley scratches inside. It's probably nothing. Both magazines have Type 2 followers.

Last edited:

Steelcore_7.62

FALaholic #
Kevin,
here is are some variations that I found in my 20 rd. mags:

3-pack of aluminum, wrapped in manila type yellow paper with matching gummed manila tape. No markings on the paper. Followers are like the type 3, but have the "step" at the back like #1 and #4 have. Followers are bare aluminum. The bodies are proof marked at bottom front with an underlined "P" and the "square "U" with an "o" inside. These are painted flat gray, not semi-gloss gray like most Belgian Army surplus parts. These also have a small punch mark, like a hardness test under their smaller size beaks, one of the three has two such marks side-by-side. Bases are type 3. These are from Belgium. I had been waiting for an excuse to look inside this pack, since they were bought sight unseen.

Not able to find any proofs on my NIW steel Belgian mags. These are the standard type 2 blued follower and type 4 base plate. Came in clear plastic 5-packs. Black paint is pretty thick so the proofs could possibly be hidden by it.

No proofs on the typical NIW aluminum Belgies either. Same plastic 5-packs of black painted mags. These have the type 2 black anodized aluminum follower but have the "step" like the type 1 and 4. Type 3 base plates.

Wish my digicam took macro shots, but hopefully this info is of help.

Cheers,
Darrell

torque65

FALaholic #
I have a 1/2 dozen aluminium mags with the STG-type inspectors' stamp and NO witness holes. :confused: :confused:
(EvMOd: no value-added, you've been edited)
My others are all type 1 with no markings.

EMDII

Evil Moderator, , Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Canadians: we need your help-

From Kevin in NZ:
I've just been doing some research about the canadian magazines and have found there are 3 types or retainer plates (retainer plate is what the
bottom of the spring clips into) one for the C1 and two versions for the C1A1 magazines, also I have found in the info I have has the price of some components ...... a C1 Magazine cost the Canadian Army $5.05 ea. and a C1A1
cost $5.03, these prices were correct as at 1963.

What I really need to do is ask the Canadian members to have a look at their
magazines and see if they can find the 3 types of retainer plates, and if
possible if they would send me one of each of the plates for my research. The British and Australian plates are suitable replacements and so long as the owners don't care about 'correctness' it shouldn't be a problem.

If you know anyone in the great white north ask them to have a look at their
mags I bet they have never realised about the different parts!

NZ L1A1 Collector

Moderator & Collectaholic
FALaholic #
Buck Shott: does your metric magazine have an 'inch' type floor plate? There are some converted Inch to Metric magazines out there converted by the Rhodesian Army for use in FAL's. These are marked with a large 'BR' on the floor plate.

Other then those I haven't seen any 'BB' marked metric floor plates. Are you able to post aor send me a pic of the magazine markings?

Here are some metric floor plates that I have found so far.

Last edited:

Don Williams

FALaholic #
Hey Kevin,

Looking at the NSN marked magazine, doesn't the 13 for the country code mean it was manufactured in Belgium? I thouhgt these were made by FN? I guess they were german issue but they weren't made there.

NZ L1A1 Collector

FALaholic #
Don Williams: yep your right '13' does mean it was made in Belgium. The thing is the magazine was made by FN for use with the German G1's. The diagram is missing the 'G1' part of the label.

Rooster: Unfortunately the diagram isn't as good as the original which I did in WORD97 and then copied and pasted it into PhotoShop and turned it into a .jpg unfortunately during the process the quality suffers :(

The diagram is likely to change as I find other examples to draw up

wolfer

FALaholic #
Hello guys....i'm a new member of this forum.....NZ L1A1 COLLECTOR....i have several FAL mags....ALOT still in the wrap and several i took out of the wrap..all metric....and i have some inch mags i USE ALOT....along with a couple inch mag bodies still in the box....its late here right now and wife is in bed so i can't turn on lights and start digging through my mags but i will take inventory and post my findings on markings etc....i will try to scan a wrapper and post the pic here also if it might help....i'm a proud owner of an 85 Onyx Lithgow and researching it is what brought me here and made me join the forum....

NZ L1A1 Collector

FALaholic #
Hi wolfer, Welcome to the FALFiles I'm sure you will find lots of useful information here and there are a lot of guys who can help you out with any questions you might have.

I will be great to see what you can find out about you metric magazines especially if your able to provide dates for the magazines. The magazine bodies in the box should be Canadian C1 magazine bodies.

Info about your Onyx would be great I have been doing a survey of these and Eden rifle when they appear and it would be great if you could send me it's serial number and what sort of parts kit the rifle is built with. Plus which address is being used for Onyx. So far there have three different address stamped of their receivers. If you type Onyx or Eden into the search function and do a search from the beginning in all open forum you will find a lot of topics about them.

CAR

FALaholic #
I have 22 FN made FAL mags (20 are in the box from FN) no markings on any of them.

Out of the 10 British L1A1 mags I own, 3 are marked on the charging handle side as follows....

1. Enfield cartouche "61" then "9600017" down the side with a broadarrow mark.

2. Enfield cartouche "76" then"9600017" with broadarrow.

3. Enfield cartouche "83" then '9600017" with broadarrow.

The text stamping on the 83 mag is of a slightly smaller font and much heavier than the two earlier mags.

rmplstlskn

FALaholic #
Any Collector want this one?

I have a mag that has a Type #1 baseplate and a Type #1 follower (1954 X8E1 British trials rifle magazine follower). It also has a number stamped into the baseplate with a worn paint band around the circumference.

If this is worth anything to someone for their collection, I will trade it out for another magazine. Here are two pics...

Rmpl :D

Strike Penguin

FALaholic #
Just got four mags, at least three of them are Israeli. They came with an old surplus mag pouch from Sportsman's Guide. I'm thinking of selling them but I figured I'd document them first, maybe it's useful to somebody. I looked up the Hebrew alphabet to get names of the Israeli letters.

1. Israeli, steel, black painted over bare steel, gray parked follower with no holes, long bulge, and short, flat BHO tab. Straight tabs. Floorplate is like an "Israeli Type 1" except there's only the one large hole. There was some odd blue plasticky stuff wedged between the body and the floorplate at the front corner, I have no idea about its origin. Marked "80 decimal (Tzade Tav)" on the left rear, and "decimal (Gimel Pe)" on the back side. See photos below:

2. Israeli, steel, black painted over gray park, rough gray parked follower with only one "house-shaped" hole up front, long bulge, tall cylindrical BHO catch. Tapered tabs. Floorplate is like an "Israeli Type 1" except there is only one large hole and no small hole. Marked with the standard "Tzade Tav" within an oval on the body.

3. Israeli, steel, black painted over gray park, blued follower with two small square holes at rear and "house-shaped" hole up front, short bulge, and tall cylindrical BHO catch. Tapered tabs. Floorplate is "Israeli Type 2" and there is what MIGHT be the letters "EM" in English scratched onto the floorplate. Could be just a coincidental scratch too. See photos below, it's the third mag from the left. Marked with the standard "Tzade Tav" within an oval on the body.

4. Unmarked, steel, black painted over park, blued follower with two square holes at rear and "house-shaped" hole up front, short bulge, and tall cylindrical BHO catch. Tapered tabs. Floorplate is "Israeli Type 1" with the large hole ahead of a small hole. Hardly any dings, dents, or scratches, but a lot of paint wear and rust on the body, looks like wear from carrying or storage.

Here are pictures of 1-4, left to right in all photos:

Last edited:

archy

FALaholic #
Peter Wells said:
Kevin, I would suppose that the mags with the U/m ground off were amongst those sent to Rhodesia with the rifles. We would probably have sent mags on a scale of about seven (one fitted and six reserve) per rifle as Rhodesia had no manufacturing capacity for mags.

They got both FN made SA Contract rifles (with SA crest milled out) and R1s from us and, for obvious reasons, both parties wanted to disguise their origins - half-heartedly I must admit.

Not sure if the grinding/milling was done in SA before departure or on receipt in Rhodesia.
I have 6 magazines that returned with me from my stay in South Africa and Rhodesia in 1977-78. I'll check them for markings, and add to the data collected here, but I can tell you from memory that one is of Israeli origin and one is a Indian L1A1 [1A1] magazine with the milled front pivot lug.

The others have the external/ L1A1 tyoe magazine bottom plate [floorplate] and distance plate. [floorplate catch]

My magazines aren't painted- that mischief was in process but was far from complete when I was there.

FYI, Portugal was another large-scale supplier of Rhodesian FAL magazines, though the Portugese military used the G3 rifle in their own African colonies.

Strike Penguin

FALaholic #
I bought two Inch mags from another member recently. Both are black painted, both have parked followers. One is completely devoid of markings, the other is marked on the body, follower, and floorplate.

Floorplate:
(D with a notch through it) TT 9602044

Body:
(backwards P)R L2A1 960-0017

Follower:
MTY