• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Machinegun prices

Rudolf

Contributor
FALaholic #
No. In fact, investors will be one big reason the Hughes amendment won't be overturned.

I own 3 MGs and I would lose NO sleep whatsoever if all three was worthless tomorrow.

paid less than 2k for my m11, paid about 1400 for a HK sear, and about 1800 for my RR AR15 SGW.

Yes they are all worth whatever trillion percentage points of their value when I bought it.

Still won't lose any sleep.

I would lose sleep if they take it from me and for that I would give them up for 5 million dollars total.

5 million I could fly to vegas and get my jollies squared away with a rental.

K. Funk

Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
The young rich are the ones buying them up. My guy here in PA used to have 20-30 guns available for sale at any one time, lately he has had 1 or 2. I think a lot of the shooter guns, like my Sendra conversion M-16 have now become "investment" guns and are going into the vaults never to see the light of day until the owner dies. I thought the price increases were crazy before, apparently they are insane now. I mostly have what I wanted. I would still want to get an Uzi, I have like 35 mags, why not? There was an auction here not too long ago that had like 400 MG's. I thought that there would be price dilution, there was no way all of them would go top dollar. With very few exceptions, I could not have been more wrong.

krf

DesertFALrat

FN Nuts
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
So MG prices have steadily gone up, but does anyone think they will go down as the baby boomer generation starts dying off and their families unload their property?

Unless the economy rolls over into some kind of nasty deflationary spiral, no.

These things are assets like any other thing we own, heavily regulated, but still an asset. They will always be in demand and subject to market forces. There are not enough of them out there to "flood" the market. Demand soaks them up apparently at any price point.

Abominog

FALaholic #
As KFUNK said, recent turnover of MG collections would indicate that in the near-term (5-10 years, at least) MG prices are only going up. This has been consistent for 50 years. Same for parts.

Despite reasonable claims that they 20 somethings are lazy, don't want to work, don't want cars, etc., there are those in that bracket who DO work hard, who DO save money, and who will find themselves comfortable. This same group I argue is unlikely to be the watch-kids-play-softball and go-to-Disney type; whether their interests go to Camaros or MG34s is semantics, some will tend toward MG34s. I don't believe there will be any fewer of the now-30-YOs interested in MGs than there are now: it's a niche group right now, believe it or not.

Any recent depression, or perhaps more accurately, retardation, in the MG prices can probably be attributed to the recent high number of SOTs who can build or restore a FA at 1/10 or 1/20th of the price of a transferrable. I suspect that the volume of SOTs will be curtailed at some point. Still, even then it's not the same market, any more than those who are satisfied with a 68 Camaro, and those who shoot for a Yenko. There is always a market for the top products.

Abominog

FALaholic #
To buy or to sell? The auction houses are getting stupid money.

Case in point, Morphys sold a Portuguese MG34 Kit in transit chest for $18k including premium, but same thing on GB went unsold at $10k.

lpcullen

FALaholic #
Sell mostly I guess at this point. I just have a couple of subguns. Nothing worth too much I'm sure. I used to look at the NFA trader on the Bowers Boards but all that is gone.

Last edited:

AliYahu

FALaholic #
Sell mostly I guess at this point. I just have a couple of subguns. Nothing worth to much I'm sure. I used to look at the NFA trader on the Bowers Boards but all that is gone.
SUBGUNS has migrated to SNUGBUS - Tom Bowers sold Subguns, things didn't work out so well with the new owner, one of the BCRs made Snugbus.

Eli

lpcullen

FALaholic #
No it's an Erb tube. I'm not actively trying to sell them just curious what the market was. I bought them a long time ago when they were considerably cheaper. Definitely not trying to buy anymore. All that stuff now is out of my league.

Sampson1986

Renegade
Contributor
FALaholic #
I own 3 MGs and I would lose NO sleep whatsoever if all three was worthless tomorrow.
Have north of $60k in machineguns. I'd be ecstatic if Hughes went away and I could manufacture my own BAR. You can't put a price on freedom. :p

MG prices are friggin' insane right now. $15k+ for a registered Uzi bolt? I thought I was gettin' up the ass when I paid $10.4k for mine. Absolute bullshit.

Rudolf

Contributor
FALaholic #
Have north of $60k in machineguns. I'd be ecstatic if Hughes went away and I could manufacture my own BAR. You can't put a price on freedom. :p

MG prices are friggin' insane right now. $15k+ for a registered Uzi bolt? I thought I was gettin' up the ass when I paid $10.4k for mine. Absolute bullshit.
Yeah.

Wife unit went ballistic when I got my MG42/59 for 4500...it was my money and my savings bond I cashed in..
Yes it needed work and I had to get a new trunion being it was hasty reweld to get in on the 86 ban. But she wasn't bitching when it sold for 34k.

John A

FALaholic #
During recessions and depressions, when people need money, they'll sell and sell cheaper.

While we are in a HUGE pickle right now with the economy, there are still many who are hanging onto theirs for the time being.

I bought mine back just after obama was elected. Though, in fairness, it was at an estate sale. It was very much a buyers market then.

No. In fact, investors will be one big reason the Hughes amendment won't be overturned.

As for this same regurgitated stupid quote that is told ad nauseum, some people are just really dumb enough to believe that shit. I really don't know why people insist that machinegun owners are some elite type of investor. God that is just so fuckin' dumb, yet it gets repeated over and over and over like it's some sort of gospel.

I guess only people that don't have machineguns think that way. I'm going to go WAAY out on the limb and guess you don't have a machinegun, so you think only non-gun guys own them. When actually, that couldn't be further from the truth.

As for investors stopping the machinegun ban from being over-turned, that's also pretty dumb. It's not investors stopping it. It's the damn politicians that's stopping it. That's who.

THEY don't want to fuckin' touch it. democrats and republicans alike.

Here's a little trivia question for you.

Besides the government and police agencies, who are the largest slice of machinegunners being registered?

Answer:
It's gun manufacturers doing all of their post samples and enjoying the dream. That's who.

ICE1210

FALaholic #
John,
I own a couple of smgs, I fear I must differ with you. According to my financial advisor, There’s a substantial investment market for MGs. People who have million dollar MG collections also have the ear of their congressional contingent. I will be VERY shocked if Huges is ever repealed.

tommygun2000

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
John,
I own a couple of smgs, I fear I must differ with you. According to my financial advisor, There’s a substantial investment market for MGs. People who have million dollar MG collections also have the ear of their congressional contingent. I will be VERY shocked if Huges is ever repealed.
I have to agree.

John A

FALaholic #
There have been numerous market crashes.

The prices of EVERYTHING are not gauranteed to increase, or even retain value.

Ask the folks that invest in the stock market.

As one example that I have mentioned, back in the '08-'09 housing and market CORRECTION (*I'm not going to call it a crash), machine gun prices were much lower than they had been.

Uzi's were $5-6k. Dias/Links were $8.5k. Transferable m16 receivers were 8-10k depending on rollmark. Most subguns were well below $6k.

That was not all that long ago. Sure, the economy came back and was booming for a few short years during Trump which increased their "value/worth" again, but that doesn't mean anyone is going to make money on anything, unless you got in on the floor level when you have hardly nothing in it.

Those people stand to profit more from it.

But, if you're heavily invested, doesn't mean that you're ever going to see a penny of profit. I'm going to refrain from expressing my opinion of those people. They're not patriots. They're vampires.

Last edited:

Sampson1986

Renegade
Contributor
FALaholic #
As for this same regurgitated stupid quote that is told ad nauseum, some people are just really dumb enough to believe that shit. I really don't know why people insist that machinegun owners are some elite type of investor. God that is just so fuckin' dumb, yet it gets repeated over and over and over like it's some sort of gospel.

I guess only people that don't have machineguns think that way. I'm going to go WAAY out on the limb and guess you don't have a machinegun, so you think only non-gun guys own them. When actually, that couldn't be further from the truth.

As for investors stopping the machinegun ban from being over-turned, that's also pretty dumb. It's not investors stopping it. It's the damn politicians that's stopping it. That's who.
There are a few elitists collectors. Sadly, some of them are (or were) active members here.

Here's one:
I want things to stay exactly where they are now. (Minus the new "improved" Trust requirements and minus time waiting on transfers.)
I'd lose my butt investment wise if new MGs flooded the market. - Lightguy
Here's another:
How would you feel if all of a sudden the house you worked your whole life to pay off was suddenly worthless and they started giving houses away?

The entitled welfare free house folks would think it was great. The guy who worked hard to pay for his home might not agree. I don't think this makes the working guy an asshole.

I own some machine guns and I would be a little agitated if all of a sudden my guns became worthless overnight. That doesn't make me an asshole.

Let's be honest though. This will never happen. There was a similar petition some time ago requesting the United States build a death star. - greenpeas
You smoked both of them in the thread referenced above. :D

Last edited: