• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

L1A1 straight-pull in the UK

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Such a sad to see variation of the SLR. ☹ I think I’d feel stupid just firing one of them and, feel bad for Brit shooter’s that they’re forced into such wonkery. Part of me wants to think; well, that’s interesting but, it’s not in sorrowful sort of way. A sad chapter.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
It's unfortunate, but sometimes you gotta make do with the laws you got. And it could be worse...as far as I know, even those straight-pull conversions are illegal/restricted in Australia and New Zealand.

Thorack

Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Well,

The real question is who made the barrel (PH/Enfield) and how (CHF)? Second question would be are they for sale anywhere?

A late PH CHF barrel with a new Aussie gas block would be DA BOMB!

Thorack

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Well,

The real question is who made the barrel (PH/Enfield) and how (CHF)? Second question would be are they for sale anywhere?

A late PH CHF barrel with a new Aussie gas block would be DA BOMB!

Thorack
I *think* they have to be new barrels, with no gas port drilled. These rifles can have no semblance of a gas system present...if you look closely in the first video, the forward edge of the bolt carrier is machined at an angle to remove the contact surface for the gas piston.

Thorack

Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yep,

New barrels with no hole drilled for the gas system, but they are the same profile. All that would need to be done is drill the gas port and viola... NEW CHF L1A1 barrel. I know importation would be difficult.

Thorack

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Yep,

New barrels with no hole drilled for the gas system, but they are the same profile. All that would need to be done is drill the gas port and viola... NEW CHF L1A1 barrel. I know importation would be difficult.

Thorack
Yeah, those would rock! I think at least some may have come from Lothar Walther.

msnyder

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I contacted Lothar Walther and they said they didn't have the capacity to produce US L1A1 barrels and the ones being made at their German plant couldn't be imported.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Here is who is making the barrels.

1694193794090.png

1694193875016.png

1694194014716.png

1694194115684.png

I believe, can't remember exactly, that they are also making the complete straight pull L1A1's in England.

One of the gentlemen I've done some wood work there, sent these along to me a couple of months ago.

Give Alex a shout,,,,he can tell you all about this place,,,,he got his rifle and stuff from them.........

Alex Barber <atbarber@hotmail.com>

@gunplumber Mark will know what all this equipment is......

the gman

FALaholic #
Yep,

Thorack
My mate, Peter Sarony of Armalon/Highwood Classic bought the original PH HF equipment when PH went out of business. I've spoken to him several times over the last almost 2 decades and he absolutely will not entertain selling the barrels to the US. He is terrified of being sued if one of the rifles is used in an act of targeted violence. It is an irrational fear, but it is there nonetheless. I offered to import the barrels undrilled for a gas port, offered to set up an LLC just for the barrels to offset the possibility of liability attaching to him and other options but he won't bloody budge. :mad:

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
My mate, Peter Sarony of Armalon/Highwood Classic bought the original PH HF equipment when PH went out of business. I've spoken to him several times over the last almost 2 decades and he absolutely will not entertain selling the barrels to the US. He is terrified of being sued if one of the rifles is used in an act of targeted violence. It is an irrational fear, but it is there nonetheless. I offered to import the barrels undrilled for a gas port, offered to set up an LLC just for the barrels to offset the possibility of liability attaching to him and other options but he won't bloody budge. :mad:
We are a litigious society

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
Well I was thinking of posing question regarding the fal and if in certain situations,scenarios, needs, how would operating the fal or l1a1 as a 'straight pull bolt action' -ie gas plug spun to grenade setting, affect accuracy...can it be argued that it would improve the accuracy enough to use it as an impromptu sniper rifle and if equipeed with a can, how much quieter would it be?. I mean you still have the 'crack' but no noticeable boom to discern direction or 'flight time ' to maybe determine distance.

Also,could you in theory sight it your fal better if it was done as a 'straight pull'?

Just something I was pondering .

Thorack

Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
CRAP!

Thorack

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
From a US import perspective, these barrels would pass the requirements necessary for import. If they were simply surplus L1A1 barrels sitting over there, they would not, because they would have been designed for, and come off of firearms that were determined to be not suitable for sporting purposes. There’s a huge pile of CETME barrels over in Europe that I would love to import, but cannot, for that reason. These new barrels, however, being designed for and manufactured into firearms that are not on the non-sporting purposes list would pass the requirements for importation.

If the manufacture were willing to export them, bringing them here will probably not be that big of a deal. There are already licensed importers out there keeping an eye on stuff just like this. The manufacture may change his mind if someone offered to purchase three hundred or so.

the gman

FALaholic #
From a US import perspective, these barrels would pass the requirements necessary for import. If they were simply surplus L1A1 barrels sitting over there, they would not, because they would have been designed for, and come off of firearms that were determined to be not suitable for sporting purposes. There’s a huge pile of CETME barrels over in Europe that I would love to import, but cannot, for that reason. These new barrels, however, being designed for and manufactured into firearms that are not on the non-sporting purposes list would pass the requirements for importation.

If the manufacture were willing to export them, bringing them here will probably not be that big of a deal. There are already licensed importers out there keeping an eye on stuff just like this. The manufacture may change his mind if someone offered to purchase three hundred or so.
Morning Adam! Nope, Pete wouldn't budge no matter how many I offered to buy from him. Now, this was quite a while ago but he was irrationally afraid of being sued. I'm not sure these days there is a market for 300 HF L1A1 barrels at the price it would cost to purchase and ship 300 barrels here. IIRC, landed costs, to make a profit were in the region of $450+. Thorack and I would probably buy one each and there may be another 2 or 3 guys who would cough up the cash but then you'd sit on the rest for an eternity. To get 300 barrels sold, they'd need to be $250/$300 so your landed cost would have to be in the $150/$170 region. Pete charges more than that for the basic barrel. :cry:

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Oh, I agree with you, I don’t think the market exists for 300. Not these days anyway. I simply threw that number out there, because I thought it represented a quantity that might be sufficient to change someone’s mind about production. But as you say, some people are very set in their ways.

Story

FALaholic #

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
FWIW, not L1A1 related, but there was an interesting article in the Safari Club International June issue of a French made "straight pull" hunting rifle.

Not of interest to me to own, but it made for interesting reading. IIRC, they had been bought out by Beretta and were importing them to the US.

Cadmium

FALaholic #
So it’s a l1a1 equivalent in the states without the gas piston or spring? Sounds hella neat, no need to bungle your rifle up to “comply”.

I’m missing something here aren’t I.

Ack, no gas at all because no hole. That’s kinda cool and much harder to work around.

Artigas

FALaholic #
If that was the closest I could get to a fully functioning L1A1 I’d be pretty happy with it. I’m glad I don’t have to settle for it here, though.