• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Jen how much Exactly do you need?

Status

FAL Files Administrator

Administrator
FALaholic #
I'll have a better idea in a day or two. I am working out the hardware requirements for the server and will post a breakdown of costs. At present I am expecting this figure to be anywhere between $4,000 - $8,000 more or less. I'll know more later.

amalgam

FALaholic #
Before you go buying hardware and leasing lines, do some research here http://www.scriptkeeper.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true . Look in the webhosts/isp forum , there will be leads to specialized hosting companies. Check here, too http://webhostingtalk.com/ .

Some are free (presumably with advertising), and some charge a monthly fee.

If necessary to conserve space and bandwidth, the static picture pages and faqs can be hosted on a (separate) free website that places banners or pop-ups. If people seldom visit those pages, a pop-up ad may not be too irritating.

BTW, what storage capacity and bandwidth have you been consuming?

Paul.S

FALaholic #
Originally posted by amalgam:
If necessary to conserve space and bandwidth, the static picture pages and faqs can be hosted on a (separate) free website that places banners or pop-ups. If people seldom visit those pages, a pop-up ad may not be too irritating.
I have no problem with banners, in fact I would like to see them if I knew that they would help insure the long time viability of the site, but PLEASE no popups! I’ll auction off body parts if that is what it takes to keep popups away!

I believe Tripod offers 6 meg for no cash charge, just one banner per page and no popups. -Paul

Status