• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Inch Barrel Codes Sticky??

eckman

FALaholic #
ANy ideas

Never did get a reply - anyone?

Is mine safe to shoot ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have any of these markings (VCF is a stress relieved hammer forged barrel with a cut chamber. A barrel with HF means Hammer forged, CF hammer forged, cut chamber & a HC barrel is hammered chamber, hammer forged AND SHOULD NOT, I say again NOT BE USED.) on my barrel.

It is marked FB509 on barrel under the rear of the gas tube and on left side and marked 960 2006 60 on left side of the barrel. Looks like S149 59 on top of barrel above the 960 2006 60 marking.

Just want to make sure it is safe as I have not fired it and have had it for several years and finally bought some Australian 7.62 to shoot out of it.

bobofthedesert

FALaholic #
Never did get a reply - anyone?

Is mine safe to shoot ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have any of these markings (VCF is a stress relieved hammer forged barrel with a cut chamber. A barrel with HF means Hammer forged, CF hammer forged, cut chamber & a HC barrel is hammered chamber, hammer forged AND SHOULD NOT, I say again NOT BE USED.) on my barrel.

It is marked FB509 on barrel under the rear of the gas tube and on left side and marked 960 2006 60 on left side of the barrel. Looks like S149 59 on top of barrel above the 960 2006 60 marking.

Just want to make sure it is safe as I have not fired it and have had it for several years and finally bought some Australian 7.62 to shoot out of it.
OK, I've read this thread through but need confirmation on what I (think I) have read.....

If I understand correctly, a barrel marked HC should not be used. At all. (Why?) Mine doesn't say HC, it says VHC. It actually says B CFD 85 9602006 VHC. So, not safe? Aussie or Brit barrel? I'd post pics but it says I can't do attachments.

Thanks in advance.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
OK,

I know we have all asked this question at one time or another but can someone make a sticky that has all the Inch Barrel Codes?
Problem with something as esoteric as L1A1 barrel codes, as a sticky, is that pretty soon we have a huge list of stickies that not even 1% care about. What we need is a better search feature and an organized reference and data section. But when you have the entire first page of a section stickies, then what?

The thing that makes a wiki type format so useful, is that there are not 50 entries, but 50 contributors to an entry. What we need is to have one guy, take someone else's post in which more data is added, plug that into the first post, then delete the other post. Otherwise, even in a sticky, someone has to wade through 50 posts to find the info, and then it's often still wrong (like the fal/l1a1 compatibility thread)

Last edited:

raexcct2

Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Can someone help me decipher my barrel?

It is marked B CF D 78 9802006 and FB 387 by the chamber. There are some other markings near the FB 387 but are obscured by the suncorite ( I believe that is what is was called, could be wrong) painted on finish of the barrel.

The D with the line in the center I take to mean that it was manufactured by Enfield and the CF means that it was the manufacturers code for the steel supplied by Corby Foundries but what does the B before the CF D 78 9802006 stand for?

swiss_bob

FALaholic #
Interest in FALs especially FALO and L1A1 (this wa
Sentence "Z"

Referring back to the beginning of the thread:

Barrels Defective

27. Rifles fitted with barrels marked FB 385 of Feb. 1985 manufacturer are to be labeled accordingly and sentenced “Z”
A friend who is an ex British army armourer gives this explanation:

'Z' by the way means that the item requires repair at the 3rd line of repair, or a Base Workshop. Usually this will entail the item being struck off of the units accounts and replaced so that the defective item can go through a programmed rebuild and be returned to store as an effectively new item.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Explanation from John at https://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/ -- Check out his other articles and armourers tools-------------------------------------------------------

MAINER

Old Salt
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Explanation from John at https://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/ -- Check out his other articles and armourers tools-------------------------------------------------------
I did, and thank you. :shades:

Some interesting bits there;
Articles Archive

Rifle, submachine gun and machine gun servicing advice and information pages
•Fitting a New No4(T) Sniper Cheek Piece
•Fitting an Extractor to a No4 Bolt

•Fitting No4 Fore Sight Blades

•Fitting a No4 Rifle Nosecap Band

•Changing A No4 Lee-Enfield Back Sight

•Removing and Fitting A PH 8/53 Sight To A No4 Mk1 Back Sight
•L1A1 SLR Stripping & Re Assembly Of ABS Butt Group.
•Exchanging an L1A1 SLR Rear Sight

•Removing an SMLE Foresight Block
•Fitting Guide for Repro BREN AA Handle Storage Clips
•Finishing Military Rifle Woodwork.
•A Brief Explanation of Later Lee Enfield Foresight Blades.

NZ L1A1 Collector

Moderator & Collectaholic
FALaholic #
BRITISH MANUFACTURED L1A1 BARREL MARKINGS (Information gathered directly from British drawings and Armourers Instructions)

Standard Barrel Markings for 6 Grooves RH Twist 1 in 12 inch

Manufacturers Code
Year of Manufacture
Catalogue No 9602006
Steel Batch Mark

Standard Barrel Markings for Cold Forged 6 Grooves RH Twist 1 in 12 inch
Manufacturers Code
Year of Manufacture
Catalogue No 9602006
Steel Batch Mark
CF Cold Forging (Adjacent to steel batch mark)

Alternative Manufactured: Barrel Markings for Cold Swaging 6 Grooves RH Twist 1 in 12 inch
Manufacturers Code
Year of Manufacture
Catalogue No 9602006
Steel Batch Mark
A Cold Swaging (1/8 inch LH side)

Alternative Manufactured: Barrel Markings for Cold Swaging 4 Grooves RH Twist 1 in 12 inch
Manufacturers Code
Year of Manufacture
Catalogue No 9602006
Steel Batch Mark
B Cold Swaging (1/8 inch LH side)

Alternative Manufactured: Barrel Markings for Chordal Rifling 6 Grooves RH Twist 1 in 12 inch
Manufacturers Code
Year of Manufacture
Catalogue No 9602006
Steel Batch Mark
CB Chordal Rifling (marked on the reinforce that provides location for the sling swivel, so the marking can be seen without removal of the handguards

Hammered and Chrome Plated Chamber
HC
Hammered and Chrome Plated Chamber
V Vacuum Heat Treatment ‘ V ' To be marked AFTER Vacuum Heat Treatment (V HC to be marked after the Catalogue Number)

C20640 Concession Number relating to pitting of the chromium plating in the 100 degree cone at the mouth of the chamber, referred to as the 'bullet guide'

FB 385 Barrels of 1982 (D82) manufacture marked FB 385 are not to be fired under any circumstances

JBS7 1.5 inches forward of the barrel flange and do not bear the mark 'H' are to be hardness tested (SA & MG D114 Part 1 refers)

or -o- Flaw Detection Test Marks (SA & MG D114 Part 2 refers)

Last edited: