• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Ident/Canada: There are 6 variants of Canadian C1 rifle!

NZ L1A1 Collector

Moderator & Collectaholic
FALaholic #
The mag catches that 'Skyrooster' are in Unused condition and are original Canadian C1 mag catches.

VERY IMPORTANT POINT TO NOTE
These magazine catches are for the original Canadian C1 receiver, (looks like a metric Type 1) these catches CANNOT be used unless the ejector block is modified OR the small stem on the magazine catch is ground down!!!!!! These will not just 'swap over'

It will be a shame to see these rare catches modified but the grinding down of the stem. :(

Left the original C1 magazine catch (machined)
Right: the second model commonly found on the C1A1 (fabricated)
NOTE: the different types of screws used.

fal fiend

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
really like the looks of the early c-1,,metric type 1 upper..rest all inch looking,,,i really like seeing different varietys of the fals,,so many flavors,,,,love to have a dutch looking postban too:)

Falfegnügen

FALaholic #
Now that we're talking C1A1's again, how did the new ejector block fit into an old reciever? Was a new receiver required? I mean the one with the "square" quick-change ejector.

I'm pretty sure that I saw where SLR-5000 had done an excellent looking copy, I wonder what he did?

snowhawk jockey

FALaholic #
NZ L1A1 Collector said:
The mag catches that 'Skyrooster' are in Unused condition and are original Canadian C1 mag catches.

These magazine catches are for the original Canadian C1 receiver, (looks like a metric Type 1) these catches CANNOT be used unless the ejector block is modified OR the small stem on the magazine catch is ground down!!!!!! These will not just 'swap over'

It will be a shame to see these rare catches modified but the grinding down of the stem. :(

What is the "stem" that would be ground down? Is it the support part that leaned against the catch screw? I have an original mag catch like pictured above and want to know if it or the block was modified.

bsn

FALaholic #
Falfegnügen said:
Now that we're talking C1A1's again, how did the new ejector block fit into an old reciever? Was a new receiver required? I mean the one with the "square" quick-change ejector.

snip...
The new ejector "block" is a complete replacement for the existing ejector "block
with a replaceable section which includes the ejector.

The receiver is the same, and after the new ejector became available, receivers were retrofitted with the new ejector block.

I'll see if I can locate some pics.

Last edited:

Falfegnügen

FALaholic #
snowhawk jockey said:
What is the "stem" that would be ground down? Is it the support part that leaned against the catch screw? ...
Look carefully at the picture in post #28 at the early C1 catch on the left. It is the support, but in this early version it does not lean against the catch screw. Instead, it goes up into the bottom of the ejector block in the receiver.

Falfegnügen

FALaholic #
bsn said:

The new ejector "block" is a complete replacement for the existing ejector "block
with a replaceable section which includes the ejector.

...I'll see if I can locate some pics.
Thanks, that would be great! I always see the little rectanglular section at the bottom of the mag well where the block goes, below where there would be a pin. Is it press fit? or welded permenetly to the receiver?

I have the small replacable sections, so I know what that is like. Just can't figure out how the new large part of the block fits in the receiver, and I don't have one of those to go by.

Last edited:

sparkeyboaz

Paid Lifetime Faloholic
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
NZ L1A1 Collector said:

Does anyone have pics of the necessary modification to the ejector block in order to use the early C1 mag release?
I just located 2 of these mag release levers from "skyrooster" and am interested in how to install one with out modifying the release itself.
I have an Imbel MIC receiver and am willing to convert it to be a "dedicated" conversion for my Canadian clone.
Thanks, Sparkeyboaz

sturmgrenadiere

Staff member
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Kevin,

Again, I am without any of my reference material here, but did not the C1A1 also incorporate the improved body? If I recall the references in the Steven's book, the 8L ultimately was the incorporation of the removable ejector along with the implementation of the removable front sight ears.

Boy I miss not having my books and notes on hand...

Regards

Ben

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Were there any known instances of earlier production C1/C1A1s (i.e. with the original type receiver cuts) being fitted with the 8L-type gas block and front sight?

Vaughn L. Allen

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #

Would this mag catch be appropriate on the C2A1 or was it the regular type?

raexcct2

Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I reposted NZ L1A1 Collector's posts on the Canadian C1A1s since the pictures were lost after the latest hack. Hope this helps folks trying to build C1A1s.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 6 variants of Canadian C1 rifle, see inside

I thought that since this is going to be my 1000th post that I would post something informative and insightful. Here you go :)

C1 Rifle Variants

C1

The standard C1 rifle as made by Canadian Arsenals Limited from 1956 - 1962 were based on an imperial conversion of the metric made FN EX1 rifles. When production was undertaken using imperial measurements the design of the body (upper receiver) was in the same style as what is now known as the FN TYPE 1 receiver. A total of 65,375 rifles were made to this configuration.

C1 RIFLE-EARLY MODEL.jpg
C1D Navy Issue
C1 rifles purchased by the Canadian Navy were converted to allow automatic fire with the replacement of the following C2 parts:-

Safety/Selector
Trigger plunger

To distinguish between the standard C1 and the Navy’s C1D a Large ‘A’ was engraved into the butt and painted white.
C1D NAVY ISSUE.jpg

C.A.L. C1 Rifle

Last edited:

raexcct2

Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
C1A1

The following components were changed on a C1 rifle to bring it up to the new C1A1 standards;

New pattern Plastic Carrying Handle (to be used as the indicator of C1A1 compliance)
New pattern Firing Pin fitted (2 piece)
New pattern Firing Pin Spring (variable pitch spring and coloured red)
New pattern Breech Block fitted or bushing applied to the firing pin hole on existing rifles
Change Barrel dimensions (modify Chamber, Bullet Lead and Bore).
Retrofit (repair or replace parts to “As New” condition)

These modifications were undertaken from 1961 onwards, the remaining rifles (7,400) in the contract to the Canadian Defence Forces were built to this new standard. Rifles already assembled were modified during overhaul programs contracted to CAL.

It will be noted that there will in fact be a mixture of early and late pattern butts in service this is because the use of the new pattern butt plate could only be fitted to the new pattern butt. In the interest of cost saving ONLY when the butt or butt plate was unserviceable and there were no stocks of the early pattern available for exchange would the latter pattern be fitted.

C1A1.jpg

C1A1D Navy Issue
Conversion of existing stocks of C1D rifles to the new C1A1 standards, as listed above.

C1A1D Navy Issue.jpg

C.A.L. C1A1 Rifle

Last edited:

raexcct2

Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
C1A1 8L Serial Numbered Rifle

It should be pointed out that there are in fact two types of 8L series rifles. The first incorporated the design changes, which consisted of;

New pattern Receiver (simplified manufacturing implemented).
New pattern, square shaft ejector, for easy Unit removal.

Also the rifle is fitted with the latter patterns of Handguards, Butt, Butt Plate, Carry Handle, Body Locking Lever, and Magazine Catch. It also incorporates all the modifications that created the original C1A1 rifles.
C1A1 8L.jpg

Rifle, 7.62 mm, L1A1 Collector & Researcher.
NEW ZEALAND
attachment_003.jpg
C.A.L. C1A1 8L Serial No. Rifle

Attachments:

Last edited:

raexcct2

Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
C1A1 8L Serial Numbered Rifle (the almost C1A2 Rifle)

At a latter stage, right at the end of the C1 production in 1968 the 8L series was altered again, this time the following components were changed;

New pattern Gas block (same style as C2).
New pattern foresight protectors (same as that used on the C2).

This modified C1A1 rifle was going to be re-designated the C1A2. It was also muted to undertake the same modifications to the existing C1A1 rifles by sending exiting stocks though a factory overhaul program, but this project was shelved.

In total maybe 1000 of these rifles were made in this configuration.

C1A1 8L Serial Numbered Rifle.jpg

attachment_002.jpg
C.A.L. 8L Serial No. Rifle (almost the C1A2)

Last edited:

raexcct2

Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I reposted the pictures that were originally posted by NZ L1A1 Collector which were lost after the latest hacks. I hope this helps folks who have been trying to build different versions of the Canadian C1 rifles.