• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

I have to get a thermal optic

richbug

FALaholic #
I have an ATN tHor 4. I bought it through brownells(who has a 100% lifetime warranty on everything they sell) since I heard mixed reviews on ATNs customer service.

My kid has been using it with really great results. In perfect conditions you can watch(and video record) field mice playing at a couple 100 yards. It seems to me you really need to be a tech geek to get the most out of it. The ballistic computer that is built in seems to negate the need for range estimation.

As best I can tell, thermals are worthless in rain, fog, or snow.

hagar

FALaholic #
I have a friend in South Africa that is a professional jackal hunter, and he has some amazing videos on Facebook. He uses a very high end and expensive Mars4 Atn Ltd Europe thermal scope, but it adjust for range and takes videos, amazing scope. On a pitch black night he can see them clearly 100s of yards away and nail them without range adjustment.

Gary Harwell

Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Talked to him a few months ago.. out of the business, got two of his units, mine stolen, son has his, won't give up...Dr.T Absolutely had the best NV for the price.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Anyone used the Burris BTS50 thermal clip on? Considering adding a couple clip-ons can use with whatever scope want to pair it with. Have an ATN Thor 4 and others myself. Really prefer good Gen 3 starlight scopes but are night only and pricey. Thermals are great for pigs, etc but for people want some facial recognition.

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Anyone used the Burris BTS50 thermal clip on? Considering adding a couple clip-ons can use with whatever scope want to pair it with. Have an ATN Thor 4 and others myself. Really prefer good Gen 3 starlight scopes but are night only and pricey. Thermals are great for pigs, etc but for people want some facial recognition.
Facial recognition. Good point.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
It could be very important, we have two ATN Ares 4x & 6x Gen 2+ CGT 45-54 LP/mm with enough resolution and light amplification can tell friend from foe out 75 to 100 yards well in most light without an IR illuminator. Also have two newer ATN Ares 4x and 6x Gen 2+ HPT 54-72 LP/mm that can recognize facial features of someone you know out 125 to 150 yards without IR illumination. Based on which IR illuminator used can add 50 to 100 yards or more to those numbers. These were basically the last generation starlight scopes offered by ATN till the went the digital IR and thermal route.

Have an ATN Thor 4 384 1.25-5x and a ATN Thor 4 640 1-10x as our latest thermals. Have a couple older Gen 2 starlights, couple older thermals and one of the mid generation X Sights and a newer X Sight Pro. Reason for all the ATN stuff is have a dealer I work part time for who gifts me all his night vision as upgrades. Have a set of Gen 2+ goggles and recently ponies up for a Gen 3 PVS 14. Have several other pieces (actually a pile) going back through Gen 2, 1+, late Gen 1 and early Gen 1.

Wife has allocated $7,000 for next piece and trying to decide between Gen 3 goggles, a really nice Gen 3 clip on or two thermal clip ons. Have a ton of LPVO scopes and dot sights that are night vision compatable and the dots work great with the PVS 14. Comverted two Leupold trackers to swing up/down clip ons and one of the newer trackers found kit to convert it to a monocular. What I have learned is best bet is spend the entire budget on a single device and then its between Gen 3 goggles and nice Gen 3 clip on and hope she frees up more funds before uncle sugar decides to ban civilian sales of tactical night vision.

Other option is a round trip ticket to Afganistan and a couple thousand dollars cash to buy late generation USGI from some dude on a street corner.

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
I'd like to add one to my arsenal.
You mean your "armory", right? Arsenals are where they make guns. Armories are where they keep them.

Yeah I know Springfield Armory also made guns for the gummit. BUT: The main marist media loves "ar-siiiinn-al" (they way they like to say it )as it sounds so much more ominous, threatening and sinister than "armory".

Jarhead

Sig220

FALaholic #
Brother Sig220: What is/ how do you do "a 'test' on the meat"? There are plenty hogs around this area and I would love to learn to hunt hogs to eat.

TIA,
Jarhead
As soon as possible, slice a small piece of meat (I like some fat on mine) and throw it in a hot skillet. As it sears, it will release a odor that makes your mouth water (keep it) or makes you want to throw the skillet out (toss it). I do this before I get too "time" invested in a kill. The slice I use is about as thick as bacon and as big as a silver dollar. If you screw up the first time, you will pay more attention to the odor of the meat the next time. :)
I only do this with boars, never had a problem with sows or "cut" hogs. If it passes your nose test, make sure you remove all the glands in the meat as they can make the meat pick up a offensive odor as well. I hope to make another trip to hunt these rascals in March. For sure I will go up during planting season and try to intercept some as well.

Good Luck to ya!

IronHamster

FALaholic #
You mean your "armory", right? Arsenals are where they make guns. Armories are where they keep them.

Yeah I know Springfield Armory also made guns for the gummit. BUT: The main marist media loves "ar-siiiinn-al" (they way they like to say it )as it sounds so much more ominous, threatening and sinister than "armory".

Jarhead
That will do, but, the the definition varies depending on where I am, too. In Kalifornia, it translates to "arsenal" in the local dialect. In Tennessee, my cases of ammo and crates of guns are defined as a "starter set."

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
^^^+1^^^
Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff.
Bob Lee Swagger
Always liked that line from movie "Shooter". Best thing about owning a "starter set" is all my wifes female relatives with masters degrees and PhD's will no longer visit us. Had one call a few years back saying would be driving through and if all the guns were locked in vaults would stop and visit.

Wife asked her what would they do if that was moment someone chose for a home invasion so do not expect herself or hubby to put away our guns. Just before this call was last time one of her relatives visited which was right after I finally added an L2a1 to my collection and was keeping it on coffee table as "artwork" who when discovered it was "real" and "loaded" left in under three minutes. Why do most females become rabid liberals by the time they get a masters and for sure it seems to be issued with a PhD.

Elwarpo

FALaholic #
I run the Trijicon IR Patrol M300. Can be used as a clip on, sight or helmet mounted. Mine is mounted on a helmet (left eye) with a pvs 14 (right eye). Once you get used to it, the images superimpose and using an ir laser and thermal at the same time is possible.

kopcicle

FALaholic #
added an L2a1 to my collection
Terrified lib-norm-something to the RSO after I had just un-cased my DSA (seen elsewhere) on the line.

"It, it, it, can't be legal. I mean it's black and has a thing and another thing like, and it' black! Aren't you going to do something !!!"

( I was almost surprised I didn't hear "fully semi-automatic assaulting rifle" . It's getting to be a thing here, really)

RSO

"Yeah, refund your range fee. You don't belong here. "

@hueyville , I really do get it. There is just something about your L2a1 even i wood that screams WEAPON OF MASS SHOOTING OF INNOCENTS to the, the, them, you know, them. šŸ˜‰
It's happening more and more out here. Even TSA here is getting a bit nervous when I check in the rifle. I have to arrive at the airport 4 hours early because I get to talk to all kinds of interesting people just because of a black gun.

We're fortunate in that any that we've raised, any that we've welcomed in our home either know and don't care or are "when we going shootin" kind of folk.

Having to admit to LEO that I'm armed is a different matter. When It can be a 1911 + 2 mags, a .380 + 2 mags, and a hold out the round count can be 50 or more I have some interesting conversations. Imagine what it's like when I carry both P-35's.

Why would anyone carry 2 P-35 Browning Hi-Power pistols with 2 extra magazines each?
I'm usually on a motorcycle so I'm carrying on person.
Well, balance for one as it's a double shoulder holster. And I'll only be shooting one at the range that day.
The other is my carry piece.

Then I may have to explain the L III soft armor. That is usually a bit easier than having to explain close to 100 rounds of ammunition and 3-4 weapons on a tail light stop.

FLSKUNKAPE

FALaholic #
Any of yall have any experience with AGM? I was in my LGS the other day and got to look through one (Rattler TS25 model, $1900ish) it was lunch time but I got to step outside and look around with it, I was really impressed it was really lightweight and a very small footprint. This was my first hand on experience and I'm left wanting more.

Sig220

FALaholic #
As a update, I picked up a AGM Rattler thermal scope with tax it was just over 2k. It works great, still learning new things about it. Killed my first hog with it 2 nights ago. Used the spot and stalk method. Still have trouble with range estimations. First spotted them a long ways out and drove and walked to what I picked as a shooting range. I think I was about 60 yards out as I hit my hog high. I was sighted in about 2 inches high at 100yds. Shooting at runners was a blast but I need to use a tripod to increase success. I am sure more practice will lead to better range estimations and more hogs in the cooler.
The one I harvested was a young boar, a test on the meat said he was good to eat so after gutting, head and feet removed I took him to a processor to remove the hide and hang him in the cooler. :)
You might not have gone back far enough! My post from the 29th of December is the above quote!

Waiting until March to go back and try to kill some more!

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Flying with guns, try Olympic venue in back yard... Always carried a 1911 unlimited race pistol and a limited/defensive 1911 when flew and usually a bolt rifle or two for varmints if summer. Have not checked guns in a decade as 90% of my flying post 9/11 and pre covid was international.

Have an Olympic (1996 Atlanta Olympic Rowing race lanes, grandstands and podium were inside of 30 caliber range from our deck) venue in your back yard and live inside the security zone. They issued us passes but did not say when gates were going up or anything about security operations. Shut down our neighborhood after left for work four weeks before opening ceremony. Came home and just happened to have picked up a custom tactical countersniper rifle from my bolt rifle smith that day, had AR15 in lock behind seat per normal, wearing my 1911 EDC and covert armor when hit gate. Had local sheriff department, National Guard, Federal agency security representatives at gate 24/7. I pulled out pass as sitting behind vehicles in front of me and when pulled up entire world fell apart.

They saw the new turnbolt with tall turret FFP tactical scope, brake modified for direct thread suppressor with suppressor in seat as my smith wanted to fire it with can attached before releasing. Then saw AR behind seat, told them had 1911 on belt, 44 wheel gun under seat and unsure what others possibly in truck. Noticed all the antennas, binoculars, back packs, climbing gear and other oddities. Took well over two hours before they got ruling could not suspend the 2nd Amendment for Olympics.

It pissed me off so next day left house with scoped M1a National Match (earlier that year my National & Super Match each got a Burris 3-12x Posi Lock scope as reputed to hold zero with wide range of magnification beginning my love of U.S. made Burris scopes), NFA select fire M11a1 with suppressor in passenger seat, AR15 in its lock behind seat, other assorted handguns and my EDC 1911. Another two plus hour discussion over multiple radios and cell phones before allowed home. Every day kept pulling something different and piling truck to point began to come home for lunch just to go through security and restack truck loadout.

Everyday would leave home with some different combination of firearms, climbing, caving, paddling or other gear. Select fire Ruger AC556 with folding stock and 12.5" barrel didn't seem to upset them as much as TRG-41 (now upgraded to TRG-42) in 338 Lapua Mag or 7mm Practical with March scope. Figured out they could not tell difference between a M11a1 in 380 and M11/Nine in 9mm as thought were same gun. Similar results with Springfield National Match and Super Match since both had same model scope and first year either sported glass. Often would carry a pair of IPSC race pistols in passenger seat as they seemed to look at them as some sort of Buck Roger's ray guns.

Two weeks later my dogs went wild in middle of night. These were Gen 2+/early Gen 3 starlight days for government budgets and Gen 1+/early Gen 2 for us civilians. Had soft armor for dogs trained to be aggressive if sensed night vision electronics. A patrol had moved out of brush using our fence line and because first dog to find and retrieve N.V. got cookies (game we played called hide the N.V.) both were at fence going nuts. I could see movement but no details till painted back yard with my biggest I.R. illuminator which revealed several men in uniforms and with rifles pulling off goggles soon as powered the big I.R. illuminator. Turned out was first night they began running patrols on shore line surrounding the Olympic venue.

Two days later finally got the "two men in dark suits and Ray-Bans" knock on front door. They were up front had no warrant, did not have to answer questions but if didn't odds were high would be back with one. Invited them in which they initially declined. Wanted to ask about who lived in house, who had keys, how guns secured, who had combinations to safes if had monitored alarm, etc. Seemed less concerned about select fire than precision rifles and suppressors. Sure the NFA stuff was about three key strokes for them after entering my name.

Seemed to me they already knew most of what were asking but just wanted to see if I squirmed. Told them wife had full access but could only open one without help, nobody else with keys to house or combinations to safes. Then the what night vision capabilites and what was up with my dogs and their training. Finally told them to come into living room, sit down in air conditioning and could finish conversation.

Offered during course to show them the vault room but they said didn't need to see it, fact had vaults in locked room with alarm was enough. Told them dogs were taught a game to alert on night vision which got them a cookie so if patrols continued to use my fenceline to avoid heavier brush expect dogs to flip out. Then told them I was packing to leave for Kolo"rad"o and would not be back till the circus was over but wife was staying because one of the dogs was sick and needed daily meds plus knew I was going to bag fourteeners and would spend most time in hotel or tent waiting for me to hit high camp, bag summit and return. Only real question beyond that was "largest rifle owned". Told them 338 Lapua if range was concern and 350 Rem Mag to 45/70 if projectile weight was concern. Told them if needed help while I was gone call wife as she was handy and could at least issue resupply but otherwise would appreciate them watching her and the house.

Morning before opening ceremony as left house with truck loaded, mountain bike and two road bikes in back slowed to stop as passed security post. Said would be back after Olympics were finished and to please keep eye on wife and house while gone. Local deputy made comment like "your house may be safest in the state for next two weeks" to which I laughed as took off to the Rockies. Others seemed relieved would not have to deal with my being a daily @$$hole as passed through their post.

Had they not flipped out over a bolt rifle first day odds are I probably would have done much less chain yanking. I can say in 1996 the 2nd Amendment did stand pretty strong on the Ponderosa. I was concerned they may pull out some work around.