• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

How to fix a wobbly Galil folding stock?

whisky_n_hot_dogs

FALaholic #
I have a Galil folding stock assembled from parts (not off a rifle kit) and it's not a rock solid lock up. I expect no issues when shooting but, there is slop between the knuckle and axis pin, and between the locking lug and hinge base. Some looseness is expected for folders but the wobble in two directions is not ideal.
IMG_0048.jpg IMG_0049.jpg

I'm certain the best method for fixing is to clean the lug, add some weld, and hand fit with a bastard file. I don't have a welder of my own, but I have a torch and various types of solder. Would building up silver solder be a suitable method? Seems a huge gap to fill (somewhere between 0.01 and 0.02" of gap).

Thinking a similar approach to the hinge pin hole which has about 0.02" of gap

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

whisky_n_hot_dogs

FALaholic #
Thanks for the advice, fellas. I soldered in some sheet steel to the base hinge and worked it with some hobby files until I got decent lock up with the wedge.
I'm going to leave the gap around the hinge pin alone for now because it doesn't wobble unless folded- not a big deal to me. Thanks.

whisky_n_hot_dogs

FALaholic #
You might try a stronger spring. Or if the hinge pin is worn, replace it. Or you can fit an over size pin.
I ordered extra parts as a precaution and received a spring that was much better condition. With the few modifications that stock doesn't wobble anymore and is very difficult to fold. I'm happy with how it turned out.