• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

How Many SIG 556 Owners? (PIX ADDED POST 16)

Accomplice

FALaholic #
I’ve owned around 11 of the 556 variants from 2 of the first batch ever produced all the way through the R, patrol rifles, P556s, etc. they’re good guns. The only non-reliable ones were 556s produced in 2009 and some of the initial R models that needed tweaking. Enjoy it.

aron82

FALaholic #
My 556 trio. The 522 is an absolute hoot to shoot and the bolt reminds me of a push. Very simple and one of the most reliable semiautomatic 22s I have come across.
The 556r and standard 556 don't get out to the range as much, but both have been reliable and good shooters. Did have the screws thar hold the top rails come loose on both. Some blue locktite and they haven't had an issue since.

1000001432.jpg

You can adapt either the ar buffer tube or the 1913 rail 556 lowers to an ace stock. I ran them for a while before I was able to get my Swiss stocks. They were better than the telescoping sig stocks, but I did not like them as much as the Swiss stocks.

Carolina Slim

FALaholic #
You can adapt either the ar buffer tube or the 1913 rail 556 lowers to an ace stock. I ran them for a while before I was able to get my Swiss stocks. They were better than the telescoping sig stocks, but I did not like them as much as the Swiss stocks.
I'm assuming you have to replace the lower to run the Swiss stocks? Are the lowers and stocks available from SiG US?

aron82

FALaholic #
Yes the lowers are different. There were several different lowers on the 556.
They also made several different back sections that attached at the folding hinge that allowed you to have an ar buffer tube or a 1913 rail.
With the lowers built for the ar buffer tube, you can't run the swiss style stock. You can get an Ace "pig nose" and run an ace stock and folder.
DOUBLE STAR ACE AR-15 RECEIVER BLOCK | Brownells
20170803_111519.jpg

M@D-M@X

FALaholic #
I've owned a 556 Classic model new since late 09' (JT series).

This platform has always performed with no issues. The rifle has gone through several phases. Lots of fun seeing it change.

Most recently I noticed rubber chunks at the floor of the safe and realized that the rubber buttpad degraded and was falling apart.

Upon inspecting the rifle I noticed also that the charging handle's rubber flaps/dust cover were degrading as well.

I contacted SIG and they were able to replace the buttpad under warranty but, the dust cover was not coveted since it's considered a part that wears down. At the end of the day, they replaced the dust cover for $100 and happy to report that SIG fixed the issues.

FLSKUNKAPE

FALaholic #
I keep seeing this thread and meaning to post up pics of the ER model I rescued from a coworker. I'll take some when i get home. My charging handle cover is missing, it tore up my first outing with it, but I replaced the fish gill handguards with swiss and put a kns 1913 adapter and a SigAir mcx first gen skeleton stock with the raised cheek rest. And why I went with sig air you ask, because for the same oem stock I paid $110 for it instead of the $279 that the version marketed for live fire.

LKY_13

Sig Sauer Me
Contributor
FALaholic #
Going for a lighter weight build this time around. Still has a Swiss import trigger that I tuned myself and Swiss carrier.
The xi bolt has dissimilar tolerances. Thus-- no Swiss here. It is original. Modified the M4 style lower to fit the 556xi upper.
Added a 1913 adapter and MCX side-folder.

I love this build. It's about the same weight as my AKs, and is prefect for run n' gun events.
Now if I could just find a sling that I like. I've had many, and like AIWB holsters-- I can never find one that I'm content with.

kroberts

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I've been reading thru this thread, wanted to learn a little about mine. My serial number is JS 002XXX, it's a four screw upper (4 bolt main haha).
So there's a chance some of my parts are actually Swiss? That's kinda cool. Some day I wanna score a Swiss buttstock.

ftierson

FALaholic #
I have one of the SIG 556 Classic SWAT rifles that I have been mostly happy with...

The original ones came with a suppressor host muzzle device, later ones with an AR A2 type device. Mine is the later, and I replaced the A2 with an A1...

If you put the SIG long rail covers on the forend (which I have), you need quite large hands to be comfortable with it (and I have large hands). Even so, it's at the upper edge of what I can settle for in terms of girth. I tried swapping for Magpul ladder rail covers, but it didn't improve the girth enough to make much difference and they didn't feel as good as the original wide SIG ones, so the SIG ones are still on...

The thing that I dislike the most is that the folding stock mechanism is sloppier than I like (it doesn't lock up rock solid), but that may be just my example since I haven't held any others except for a friends 7.62x39mm one, which was mostly junk (it went back to SIG three times for functioning problems before he finally ditched it for good).

The SIG 556 rifle that I have is reliable. I predict that you'll like it... :)
Given that we can now easily post pictures without using a photo-hosting service that will eventually lock you out of your own photos and hold them hostage until you pay a ransom...

IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1063.JPG

Just sayin'...

Forrest

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I tried to buy one three times, and missed the auctions. The last one I missed (after setting up "Watchlist" on GB) was an early (pre JS4000) Swiss parts gun after I checked in with @LKY_13 that ended up going for ~$1500. Barf. Yes, I know you can make bigger bids and let the thing play out, but I wasn't able to chase the 15 minute rule because of whatever. The thing is that I have a Swiss steel lower with matching bolt and carrier which would have let me make the rifle I wanted... but no.

So I sold a bunch of ammo and guns and other stuff and went to 'war' over this.

IMG_5383.jpeg

Last edited:

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Hey @Combloc - what kind of experience do you have with the 'Jenny' mounts?

It seems reasonably tight / snug, but I can imagine an optic heavier than a red dot making recoil-related 'adjustments' to zero...

This is one place where the Sig556 4-screw receivers seem like an improvement, but I don't have any experience to rely on or make comments about (yet...).

Combloc

FALaholic #
I don't have any experience with them. In fact, I don't know what they are. Can you provide a picture or any information? I like to learn new stuff!!

The only optic I have for my 551 came from Mr. Adams. He said it was an experimental version of the early KERN red dot for the STG90. No battery, just ambient light. It has a mount built into it and I bought it as a curiosity only with no plans to ever actually use it.

Last edited:

tobinb

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The only optic I have for my 551 came from Mr. Adams. He said it was an experimental version of the early KERN red dot for the STG90. No battery, just ambient light. It has a mount built into it and I bought it as a curiosity only with no plans to ever actually use it.

That looks like a modern version of the experimental optic for the L1A1 ... Gathering ambient light for rear projection