• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

How did you handle a Barrel bottomed in the receiver?

Bullet

FALaholic #
Being off it was a good day to fumble around with this pile of parts that hasn't moved much in the past year.

Anyway, I think the breech face has bottomed in the receiver at the same time the shoulder is against the receiver. I twisted it up with about 40 lbs of torque just to what/where things are. It was rock solid and I doubt it would have moved further if I put all my weight on the ratchet. I ordered a Dylem pen to apply and twist again to be certain.

Without a lathe to take thousandth or two off the breach face, what have some of you did? Stroke the breach face with a file? Dremel out some material inside the receiver?

Note: the pics are before I applied any torque. The marks you see is me screwing it together a few times by hand.

fb1.jpeg

fb2.jpeg

fb3.jpeg

fb4.jpeg

fb7.jpeg

fb9.jpeg

fb8.jpeg

Attachments:

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
It's no problem shaving the face. It's only .001", the dent from the extractor striking is deeper than that. I spin a couple times against a belt sander (backed), then against the side of a scotchbrite wheel. It's a common problem, even with an IMBEL barrel on an IMBEL receiver, which is odd.

John Bush suggested years ago that contact is not desirable for accuracy, but don't know how to quantify that.

While I don't have a clearance standard, I want no contact. Any time I'm getting torque that seems odd, I'll double check the face for contact.

Back in the day, Mausers had both as torque shoulders, which required some really precise machining

It does not affect chamber depth or headspace - you're only shortening the the chamfer leading into the chamber by .001 or so, and the case is not supported there anyway. The recessed bolt face is still there.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
IMBEL/IMBEL? It happens Had to face a barrel last year and used a hobby lathe. A file is fine if you go slow and be patient. Lathe can get you into trouble if you miscalculate