• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

How did I do???

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
Does anyone have any advice for stripping off the gray finish? What is a good product for a correct looking spray on finish?
The gray finish is parkerizing, there is zero need to remove it, it will act as a base or primer for whatever spray finish you use. Just hose the parts down with brake cleaner first to remove dirt and oil.

The Brits used a paint called Suncorite which was banned years ago due to it containing carcinogens, there was some sort of replacement for it, not sure what it was called. Black Rust-Oleum semi-gloss appliance epoxy from Home Depot matches the look of the original British finish pretty well. Spray the parts and then bake them in an oven at around 300 degrees for an hour.

The scope that you got was not used on L1A1s, it is a German metric scope for the metric FAL. The Brits used the SUIT scope for their rifles.

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
That grey finish is most likely a parkerized finish similar to the other battle rifles of the time. It is a rust resistant finish when properly oiled. The British rifles had stoving applied to them which was a black and very thick paint that formed a barrier to almost all weather conditions seen in the British Empire and its battles. No need to remove the gray finish, just clean and degrease the rifle and then apply your black paint. I prefer the satin black Durakote for my inch rifles because I think is closely matches the original factory finish. Just not as thick. Other will chime in their thoughts on the proper paint. I would not consider Cerrakote because you have to sandblast the metal for it to properly adhere. And that removes the "as-issued" factory finish you have.

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m not nearly the most experienced L1A1 collector here, but I’ve never seen a lower with the “upside down” serial like that. Was that common?
.....yes it was a permanent change made here in the 60s (I think, need to pull the book) ...allowed the SN to be read with the rifle in an armoury rack.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
I’m not nearly the most experienced L1A1 collector here, but I’ve never seen a lower with the “upside down” serial like that. Was that common?
Lithgow inverted the serial number on new production and FTR rifles during 1971, starting with AD7102973. This continued to the end of production.

Mr. Wonderful

FALaholic #
I appreciate all the info. The gray on there definitely seems to be a paint. I put one of the small parts in my heated ultrasonic cleaner and it bubbled it right up. I wanted to take it off because it looks like it would leave a chipped look under the new paint. I’m really happy with my new rifle and to be part of the community.

crashmaniac

Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
The gray finish is parkerizing, there is zero need to remove it, it will act as a base or primer for whatever spray finish you use. Just hose the parts down with brake cleaner first to remove dirt and oil.

The Brits used a paint called Suncorite which was banned years ago due to it containing carcinogens, there was some sort of replacement for it, not sure what it was called. Black Rust-Oleum semi-gloss appliance epoxy from Home Depot matches the look of the original British finish pretty well. Spray the parts and then bake them in an oven at around 300 degrees for an hour.

The scope that you got was not used on L1A1s, it is a German metric scope for the metric FAL. The Brits used the SUIT scope for their rifles.
This is CORRECT was hoping someone would say it before I did, I have actually perfectly matched factory Brit lowers to new US made parked inch uppers by doing this process, leave the park the epoxybwill stick 100 times better and be bomproof do in well lit area because it can be hard to hit all the cranies or use a small white LED light to check yourself. I do it at 450° for 55 min remove (I have racks and asbestos mits, it pays to be a machinegunner, for this ) and spray on a hot coat and bake another 55 minutes , Ive matched mags barrels the whole nine you cant tell where the real suncorite is and the rustolieum is.

Lithogow started paint over park and inverting the Sernos in ‘71. Post 1969 Lithgows are less prevalent in the US. 6F2363FD-68E2-4462-AC7D-483555FBE642.jpeg 8D30060D-71E9-4DB2-A8B5-81E41AEAC359.jpeg

Mr. Wonderful

FALaholic #
This is CORRECT was hoping someone would say it before I did, I have actually perfectly matched factory Brit lowers to new US made parked inch uppers by doing this process, leave the park the epoxybwill stick 100 times better and be bomproof do in well lit area because it can be hard to hit all the cranies or use a small white LED light to check yourself. I do it at 450° for 55 min remove (I have racks and asbestos mits, it pays to be a machinegunner, for this ) and spray on a hot coat and bake another 55 minutes , Ive matched mags barrels the whole nine you cant tell where the real suncorite is and the rustolieum is.

Lithogow started paint over park and inverting the Sernos in ‘71. Post 1969 Lithgows are less prevalent in the US. View attachment 212771 View attachment 212772
That looks fantastic! Unfortunately I don’t have the ability to use an oven for that. Unless of course I want to be homeless lol. Since this is not a valuable collector specimen I will try another way.

treyak

FALaholic #
So just to get this straight, the Brits always painted their L1A1s from the beginning?
And not what the Aussies did where the rifle was just parked, and then years later painted?