• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

FNFAL 50.63 negative review for kbar-04

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Wow, I never made the association before today, between this old thread and the rifle sent.

I just figured it was another Belgian rifle stored in a high humidity area, in case that trapped moisture. I've refinished dozens of Belgian rifles - some from fires, some from Katrina, some from trapped moisture storage.

I was surprised, actually, that the anodized aluminum parts suffered greater corrosion than the paint/park pieces.

This was a "best judgement" case. Some will recall the curious para stock I posted, that I thought may be Argentine, due to the atypical chamfer of the hinge mechanism. Turns out, it MAY be late FN. But pitted original was still, in my best judgement, a better choice than the better condition replacement that just wasn't right. But customer has both so can swap if desired.

Trying to decide what parts (blued bolt carrier, hinge assembly) should be left as is, which had developed the very classic patina tint to the Parkerizing, and which were too far gone for anything but complete refinish . .. It was tough. I did the best I could. My research could not come up with a 50:63 with the vertical lock lever (James Julia Auctions, et al).

My conclusion was that certain parts, even with mitigated pitting, were better than non-original replacement parts.

I could not remove the pitting from the type 3 flats without making the markings obviously more shallow than they should be. So I split the difference. Pitting is still visible, but about half the depth I started with.

Here are some other pics.

I'm sorry the OP got screwed. I'm sorry a low-life piece of shit, con-artist seller would stoop to pretending being a veteran somehow makes one honorable (some of the lowest character people I have ever met were veterans). I hope my efforts resulted in this "holy grail" of pre-ban Belgians being returned to the best it could be.

fal-fn-s1595931-01.jpg fal-fn-s1595931-02.jpg fal-fn-s1595931-03.jpg fal-fn-s1595931-04.jpg fal-fn-s1595931-05.jpg

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Nice stick with some honest wear and such from a long life. I prefer original with some cosmetic blemishes to improper cosmeticaly nice replacements. When I have had to replace original parts because there was no other option always kept the originals bagged and tagged as some day some new process may be able to restore the original part and put it back on gun.

raexcct2

Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Nice stick with some honest wear and such from a long life. I prefer original with some cosmetic blemishes to improper cosmeticaly nice replacements. When I have had to replace original parts because there was no other option always kept the originals bagged and tagged as some day some new process may be able to restore the original part and put it back on gun.
Hueyville,

The parts replaced in this rifle were improper for the rifle. As bought, the rifle had an L1A1 magazine release and selector lever and the wrong para rear sight. The other parts that were replaced had rust damage and were also replaced with the correct parts.

Basically, Kabar04 misrepresented the condition of the rifle and Gunplumber managed to make the rifle look better considering the rust issues on the rifle.