• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

First L1A1 and a Question About SN's

06ltd

FALaholic #
Hi everyone, I just purchased my first L1A1 yesterday as a complete impulse buy. Coming from predominantly AR platforms I wanted something different and have always loved the FAL (which you can't buy in Maryland). My LGS had this good looking thing hanging up and I just had to take it home. After a little poking around on the internet I've figured out the lower is a 1968 Australian Defense receiver with an Enterprise upper. What I'm scratching my head about, with my basic understanding that most of these are parts kit builds, is that the upper has the same serial number as the lower, and that same serial is etched into the top of the BCG. There's also a different second, and older looking, SN etched into the side of the BCG. The former looks pretty new and is on the top under the dust cover and the latter is visible on the side (it's a 67xxxxx). I just thought I'd reach out to the collective wisdom here and see what, exactly, my dumb ass brought home :) Thank you!

IMG_4859.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.02.11 PM.jpeg

Attachments:

Last edited:

06ltd

FALaholic #
That was my old rifle I regretfully sold.

That was built by Entreprise themselves.

I was getting out of the army and short on cash.

I recognize everything with that.
I sold it to a gentleman on gunbroker in Texas and he said he was completely happy with it.
Well hot damn, this is a much smaller world than I thought :)

I've read a bunch of differing reviews regarding Enterprise, is the fact they built it a good or a questionable quality?

If you find yourself back in the Mid-A and want to reunite with her let me know, we can put some rounds down range

Rudolf

Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm allergic to the mid-west and I can only venture as far as Montana and that's it.

Def90 is correct. They did the custom SN for it and also built it up to spec. I also picked it up at their shop in Irwindale. They were throwing away the Bren magazine cases that held the 30 rdrs as they were selling 30 rdr magazines but throwing away the metal cases it came in because it so filled with cosmoline that they didn't have time to clean it up.

I took about 15 of them in the back of my truck and went to my uncles transfer case repair shop in Glendale and he dumped them in old diesel and gasoline and it was cleaned up in no time. Sold them all at the Great Western fun show in Ponoma and in a fit of irony, I went back to their shop and bought inch magazines with the money I made selling the bren magazine boxes they threw away.

Entreprise....they were ok....earlier ones were great and forged and all that coolness. They made 1911's and also M1A receivers and other stuff.

Later years..they went to shit.......Funbumbler here got all of their inventory when they went caput. Good for him.

image-116.jpeg

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Nicely made L1A1. Entreprise did custom serial numbers on request on all their British and BGS receivers and I'm surprised they did not complete the entire Australian number under the ejection port. For years DSA refused to accept number request on their receivers.

Rudolf

Contributor
FALaholic #
Nicely made L1A1. Entreprise did custom serial numbers on request on all their British and BGS receivers and I'm surprised they did not complete the entire Australian number under the ejection port. For years DSA refused to accept number request on their receivers.
The reason was they claimed to have gotten their peckers smashed by AFT because they will using numbers and SN that they claim might confuse agents in active criminal investigations.

This was what they told me at SHOT show.🙄

06ltd

FALaholic #
Put 50 rounds of Magtech M80 ball ammo through it today and couldn’t get the rifle to cycle consistently without the gas set to 0. Started at 6 and worked through a bunch of FTE malfunctions on the way to 0. Works fine at that setting but is that normal?

1DB09382-1912-4822-B578-4669C6462B0B.jpeg

Last edited:

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
The reason was they claimed to have gotten their peckers smashed by AFT because they will using numbers and SN that they claim might confuse agents in active criminal investigations.

This was what they told me at SHOT show.🙄
Well, that seems to be a new DSA posture in not going out of their way to provide custom serial numbers for their customers. The word we received here from a couple of past DSA reps was it would effect production cost and delays. Coonan, Entreprise and a few other smaller receiver makers didn't seem get the message.

BriarJumper

FALaholic #
And their Izzy, I have two with custom numbers

06ltd

FALaholic #
Thank you! It's completely matching, I just have a weird thing about putting a full SN up on a public forum. Probably silly, I just don't like doing it :)