• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Early UK L1A1 finish?

treyak

FALaholic #
Did the early British L1A1s have just a parked finish, and then a painted one when they went to plastic, or were the painted from the beginning when they were issued with wood furnature?

treyak

FALaholic #
Thanks for the input, I have some nice wood and a spare kit and was wanting to do an early example build but was wanting to do an authentic one.

Armsdad

FALaholic #
That ue62 is paint/ suncorite. Ive got a UE57 lower and a 57 bolt. The bolt looks to have some type of copper finish on it. The lower is black suncorite. I also had a lower that was grey UE58 that looked like abominogs early lower he had at last knob creek show.. Not sure if it was some kind of coating or what. Most the early ones were arsenal refinished at some point . They may not have started out in suncorite. Since Ive seen it both ways. I couldnt argue either way.

treyak

FALaholic #
Thanks for the further imput, but I guess I should change my question to say; if my next build has wood with painted metal, would it be correct?

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Thanks for the further imput, but I guess I should change my question to say; if my next build has wood with painted metal, would it be correct?
Certainly. Wood on *most* British L1A1s was replaced during rebuilds in the 1970s and 80s but a decent bit of it stuck around. A mixture of wood and black plastic furniture (especially black plastic handguards) was not unusual for a time either.

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
In trying to dress up my Century imported 1960 BSA rifle to matching dates I went through numberous 1959 and 1960 dated BSA, Enfield and Fazakerley parts. Some were NOS or nearly new. I eventually settled on a mix of BSA and Faz parts since BSA inherited ROF Fazs inventory when they folded im 1960.

All were black painted including the flash hiders. The post war No. 4 Mk II bolt action Enfields were all paint over park so no sure why the early SLRs wouldn't be.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
All were black painted including the flash hiders. The post war No. 4 Mk II bolt action Enfields were all paint over park so no sure why the early SLRs wouldn't be.
I agree. The Rifle Steering Committee torture-tested the SLR in different climate conditions reflecting the extremes of the Empire, and surely were thinking of rust in tropical regions, a situation where the stoving paint would be helpful.

Peter Laidler once wrote about the effects of wood-metal contact that he encountered while maintaining L1A1s in the Far East, and said that the phosphate-finish-only Australian rifles had the worst problems in that regard. He specifically mentioned damage to the recoil spring tube, the locking lever retaining screw becoming frozen (which would condemn the lower), and rusting through of the handguard ring.

ftierson

FALaholic #
A rifle I put together several years ago using a DSA Aussie-type receiver and an original L1A1 kit in 'new' condition (including original barrel). Obviously, some arsenal rebuilding was involved at some point in it's life...

The rifle had been painted. All I did was to blue the receiver to 'match'...

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

Given the rebuilds, it's hard to know what the original finish was...

For what it's worth...

Forrest