• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Early G1 kits on the market again..

saigamantx

FALaholic #
So, was finally able to get my arse in gear and twist my BGS A together. Figured I'd share what I have so far, though its not even close to being complete. Gotta give a big thank you to Adam762 for the bbl conversion & Ratas Caliente for the barrel & receiver vise/wrench tools & of course Jimmbob , Suddendeath & all the rest of you for inspiration & input. Without them, god knows how much longer this kit would have sat in pieces in the box & a dream in my head. :D. I'll share more pics along the way, but here's 1 for starters.

That wood is sexy!:fal:

davesrb

FALaholic #
Still no word from IWD, so I'm going to assume that Matt is not interested in offering the option to mill a recess in their Metric HG's to accept the Inch Tabs.

SD
Well, as soon as I get some time off, I'll tackle this. Right now we are 28 days in with out a day off, and 20 more to go......but then I plan to take a couple weeks off at the very least.

Texgunner

long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Thank you very much. Yes, the furniture is "semi-fancy French walnut", hand-made by Blue Monster, a member here on the 'Files. No, I believe the original carry handles were plastic. He made the walnut version based on my request/suggestion. If I recall correctly, it was his first attempt at that design. She is a looker ain't she? Almost too pretty to shoot...:biggrin:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340799&highlight=build

SteelGreyML

FALaholic #
Thanks for the info and link. I enjoyed reading it. I got one of last APEX HK33 parts kits before they sold out. Blue Monster's woodcraft is outstanding.

Thank you very much. Yes, the furniture is "semi-fancy French walnut", hand-made by Blue Monster, a member here on the 'Files. No, I believe the original carry handles were plastic. He made the walnut version based on my request/suggestion. If I recall correctly, it was his first attempt at that design. She is a looker ain't she? Almost too pretty to shoot...:biggrin:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340799&highlight=build

Slo cat

Master Metal Checkerer
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Here is my "early G1", i.e., a BGS FAL. This BGS has a Blue Monster buttstock and pistol grip, but the smooth wood carry handle is original with the Apex kit. I built this using an Entréprise receiver with matching serial number to the rest of the kit.

MrM1A1

FALaholic #
Anyone else has the issue where the hanguards smell like cat pee? I cannot get the smell off mine.
Lol, hell of a first post! Welcome. I haven't heard of the HGs smelling like cat pee, that's a first. I would try a soak/scrub in a strong solvent. Maybe run them in the dish washer.....If that doesn't work, not sure what to tell ya. Refinish?

SteelGreyML

FALaholic #
Cat pee? All I can think of is that's the gunpowxer residue inside the handguards possibly, some ammo just smells like that after after firing it.. Hot soapy water to the inside of the handguards followed by a coating of oil.
If it is cat urine, there are some specific cleaners that break it down you can get from any of the pet places or supermarkets. Good luck.

mauser89

FALaholic #
Lol, hell of a first post! Welcome. I haven't heard of the HGs smelling like cat pee, that's a first. I would try a soak/scrub in a strong solvent. Maybe run them in the dish washer.....If that doesn't work, not sure what to tell ya. Refinish?
I tried carb cleaner. It appears to be the on both sides of the handguards.

Maswell

FALaholic #
Try a diluted vinegar for 10min or so -- then neutrilize with baking soda. Clean and oil. Vinegar may discolor metal (acidic) so make sure to dilute and or only use on the wood.

Ammo has nitrates which form ammonia-like compounds when they combust. The vinegar should neutrilize the ammonia and the baking soda will neutrilize the vinegar.