• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Cutting up a optic mount

KoKodog

FALaholic #
ok, I have a roughly 30 year old Springfield GEN 1 M1A scope mount that I bought back before the web and choices were few

yes it shoots loose just like all the other GEN 1 units

now I do understand that this is mostly due to the compound recoil action of the M1A/M14 and the scope weight placed onto the mount, and some blame goes to it being aluminum

as it stands I have no use for this mount and there is little resale value because no one wants a mount that shoots loose …….. so I was thinking that I would take the saw and grinder to the Springfield mount knock the section w/ the stripper clip guide off to get the weight down to lessen the recoil forces exerted, remove the big hand knob and replace w/ a short bolt tightened with a real torque wrench

has anyone here tried this cut-up that I have described ??

the Bassett mount will be my choice if I go w/ a full scope

http://www.bassettmachine.com/index.htm

https://www.m14-m1ascopemounts.com

this is possible but I do not want to mount a micro red dot that close to my eye I prefer to have it almost at scout scope distance

m14stripperclipsightbase.aspx

the 3 pics posted on this page show the type of mount that I am looking for but I cannot find a reference anywhere on the web, I can only surmise that the guy that posted the pics custom made the mount

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/springfield-armory®-clip-guide-red-dot-mount.194472/page-3

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Tried a lot of M-14 mounts over they years, but never did find any of the SAI's worth keeping on a rifle. I agree on the Bassett though. For it's simplicity and stability, it is at the top of suggested mounts, easy on, easy off and returns very close to zero. Moving between rifles is no problem. Whatta Hobby!

SCopes.jpg
Mount 6.jpg
LRB M14 BR.jpg
1st sgt 1.jpg
Bula 10.jpg

lew

FALaholic #
I have a ARMS 18 and a Bassett. The ARMS is my preference, but good luck finding one. Bassett makes a solid mount that is stupidly-simple to install.

Be very careful with the receiver mount hole. Too much torque and you'll strip the threads. Bassett's attachment method is foolproof.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a ARMS 18 and a Bassett. The ARMS is my preference, but good luck finding one. Bassett makes a solid mount that is stupidly-simple to install.

Be very careful with the receiver mount hole. Too much torque and you'll strip the threads. Bassett's attachment method is foolproof.
Most receivers have threaded mounting holes that are much harder than the mounting bolts. Usually the bolt strips and the threads in the receiver need to be chased to remove the debris from the bolt. Whatta Hobby!

lew

FALaholic #
Most receivers have threaded mounting holes that are much harder than the mounting bolts. Usually the bolt strips and the threads in the receiver need to be chased to remove the debris from the bolt. Whatta Hobby!
Yep, the screws are softer than the receiver for a reason. Wouldn't want someone to get any ideas with a grade 8 bolt, a torque wrench, and a cheater bar and going King Kong on its ass. The little dingus Bassett includes for tightening the bolt shows just how little force is needed to secure the optics mount.

ByronF

FALaholic #
No expert but the aluminum nubs that engage the receiver slots seem like a major weakness. Milling a slot and installing hardened rod (like a pin gauge) with epoxy might be an improvement?

But really, I wouldn't do anything except throw it away. Not sure where mine went, and I'm not bothered by its absence at all. I have a Bassett.

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
Tried a lot of M-14 mounts over they years, but never did find any of the SAI's worth keeping on a rifle. I agree on the Bassett though. For it's simplicity and stability, it is at the top of suggested mounts, easy on, easy off and returns very close to zero. Moving between rifles is no problem. Whatta Hobby!

View attachment 407795 View attachment 407796 View attachment 407797 View attachment 407798 View attachment 407799
Ive had no luck with single point mounts. How does the Basset work differently?

KoKodog

FALaholic #
some references for all interested

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Ive had no luck with single point mounts. How does the Basset work differently?

Now, that's funny. I have had great success with early Griffin and Howe and other USGI, Bassett and IDF single point mounts. If you have had a problem, you might check the receiver you are mounting to for being in spec.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Can't explain it. Bassett seems like it shouldn't stay tight with the little torque required to install, but it doesn't come loose. One might think they know better, and use more torque, but I think that's a big mistake. They work, somehow.

And the S.A. mount seems like it should work and it doesn't.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I have found , with any single point, follow the install instructions and torque settings. First , remove lube from receiver and mounting bolt , make sure it is clean and dry than proceed. Whatta Hobby!

GIshooter

FALaholic #
Toss that POS in the recycle bin. You'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation.

Agree on the Bassett mount. I did some prototype machining for the current owner. Was a small improvement to a proven design.
I use them on my personal rifles also.
Bottom line it works and is simple to remove or remount.