• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Congrats FlameThrower.. Hotmail Banned, ctxt..

Status

FAL Files Administrator

Administrator
FALaholic #
Thanks to FlameThrower (flamethrower48@hotmail.com) all hotmail.com email's are now denied registration to the forums. FlameThrower, Your account has been canceled.

I have said in the past and I will say it again, I WILL NOT tollerate childish flames. They don't belong here. If you have a problem with someone that doesn't directly involve their products or services, take it up with them, that kind of crap is not welcome here.

Jen
FAL Files Administrator

Wadman

FALaholic #
I have a hotmail account also. The frustration caused by jerks like that is understandable, but I'm not sure if banning email services is the right solution. Besides, if you banned Hotmail, then you'd have to ban Hushmail, Yahoo mail, etc.

sturmgrenadiere

Staff member
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Yeah, good question? I too have a hotmail account and no other, and so do fellow shooters I am trying to get to log onto the boards. They aren't going to set up an alternate e-mail address through some other provider.

If some yahoo (no pun intended) goes and flames a smith, product, or even me in a manner as inflamatory as the subject flame. Just delete it once it is detected and proven to be simply garbage. We are just as guilty if we encorage it by responding. Do we not do an alright job in using discretion on who we validate with legitimate responses?

I know encouraging moderator deletion powers was an issue on the AR board last winter, and did we get into that on the old board (don't remember)? Maybe some sharp individual who writes the program that runs this sort of forum format ought to include a way in which people could be polled about a post, and after so many clicks/votes it would be relegated to a trash file. That way it would be regulated by the members.

We did sort of the same thing with Sasquatch's rather sharp attack against George Gouger's work, but even that seemed like a drop of blood in the water attracting a whole school of sharks (myself included), when maybe a few less replies still would have gotten the point across.

I know I am just one user, but please do not discriminate one domain name becasue of the actions of others. This premis is exactly why I can't have a flashihder on my FAL and I have to shell out an extra $100 in US parts to have a pistol grip and stock.

Respectfully

Ben W. Grant
Semper Fi

Hoss

FALaholic #
Jen,

Instead of banning the email addy, just ban his IP address. It should be right in there with the rest of the controls. This keeps him from registering with another account from Yahoo or somewhere and coming back. Also, if he's double registered, it'll block the other identity. Make sure to take a couple of samples of his posts to find out if he's using one or more ISP's.

------------------
Freedom without discipline is Anarchy

FALPhil

FALaholic #
Banning the IP address will not work with a PPP account. The IP address changes everyt time you dial in.

..Phil

Originally posted by Hoss:
Jen,

Instead of banning the email addy, just ban his IP address.

------------------
..Phil
Download free targets at
http://harringt.home.mindspring.com/targets.htm

Hoss

FALaholic #
Phil,

Your right, the last two numbers of the IP will change. You just leave those two off and it works.

------------------
Freedom without discipline is Anarchy

FAL Files Administrator

Administrator
FALaholic #
The ban does not affect existing accounts. It only means that hotmail.com users can no longer register. I am removing anonymous email services from being able to register based on abuse by one or more users of that service. As more of the anonymous accounts are used to abuse this board, I ban the service in question for having any more registrations on the boards.

I know this isn't the best solution for everyone out there, especially folks who only have anonymous email access, but it is the only solution that I have found to keep the Trolls from continually registering new anonymous addresses from which to post their flames and such.

If you're stuck with a hotmail account for whatever reason, email me at falfiles@fnfal.com with a note explaining your situation. If at all possible, email me from a real email address and just explain that you want to use xyz@hotmail.com or whatever for your email address on the board. I will setup an account for you under the username you choose (assuming that username is not already in use).

Jen
FAL Files Administrator
FALFiles@fnfal.com

VETTOM

FALaholic #
THANKS FOR GETTING THESE JERKS OFF...I depend on this board to get real info, stuff etc, and it works from fellow falolics...for the guys that get stupid, ekill them is ok with me. Just hate that others get disrupted from some flaming stupidity. Maybe they can get carpel tunnel or worse buy a century..

[This message has been edited by VETTOM (edited October 10, 2000).]

Mark C

FALaholic #
Way to go Jen! That is why I transitioned to the new board - leave the intellectual infants behind. As an aside, it was very good of you to leave the old board up and running. There is a definite place for those of our ilk who for whatever reason, do not wish to register on the new board. 99% of them have something of significant value to offer to our collective brain-trustm, and I am extremely pleased to be able to visit both sites at will. Keep up the good work!

------------------
Mark Campbell

parabellum

FALaholic #
I'm glad to see quick action taken on this, Administrator. I'm new here, and when I saw that infantile garbage last night, my heart sank. I was thinking that it's another good forum ruined. But that is apparently not the case. Thank you.

jrock

FALaholic #
Jen,
I respect what your board gives all of its members including myself. I also respect the fact that you put your time and energy into something which benefits us FAL fans. However banning an entire e-mail system is not the way to go about dealing with flamers. This makes as much logic as banninng a certain brand of handgun becuase one child shoots himself in the head with it. The only way to be sure there are no flames is to close the board down, and this would be a big loss to al of us. I whish you would give your board members more credit, as we all know that if we do not pay attention to flamers they will go away.

Status