• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

CAR 15 Suppressor

paulo

FALaholic #
Having a senior moment. Who makes the original style suppressor that was on the CAR15? I know that the originals were Colt, there is a suppressor maker that offers replicas.
Thanks

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
It seems to me that about any can on a SBR .223 doesn't silence shit so does that make them a "moderator"? I have one on a 12.5" SBR and it's everything in the opposite direction of hearing safe. ATF is so useless.

paulo

FALaholic #
After some searching my brain kicked back in!
Innovative Industries makes both the fake one and a real one. As I recall the noise reduction was about 3db. And you still need the tax stamp.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I did a Form 1 Moderator that may get like 12 dB but is a tad larger diameter and tad longer. Use the fakes now. Have a few 5.56 cans that for me are hearing safe but almost deaf anyway. Make darn good flash suppressors as well. Can on my 5.56 Starlight rifle is hearing safe even with hot varmint loads but was not cheap and is not compact.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
If you want to do up a moderator this is the original device. Vendor on Gunbroker has an accurate clone for $277 plus shipping and $200 transfer stamp for a glorified flash hider.

bL8iw.jpg

Here are some clones, Gen 1 on left and four of the different Gen 2 models. There are hundreds of Moderator clone devices available and some have no resemblance to the real thing.
3.5_and_4.3_inch_CAR15_Moderators_Colt_607_Survival_Rifle_XM177_XM177E1_XM177E2_CAR-15_Command...JPG

Do you want to clone an early model or a XM177 E2? Finding an original aluminum stock for an accurate clone will cost more than a real Moderator.

e6432177d69eb2b821cbd1187f162f76.jpg

I want to clone one of these Mk 4 Mod 0. Long but could get the "look" using closest "modern" and nice barrel to have a clone that was also a modern working rfile. Man can go blind cloning the hundred plus oddball M16 variants from Vietnam. Owning two Sinonics suppressors on 380 acp could not imagine keeping the rubber wipes in one of the Vietnam vintage 223 Sionics cans so would definitely go with some baffle clone.

rothchandlervd1.jpg

danroberts5gx5.jpg

paulo

FALaholic #
Thanks Huey. Want to do the CAR 15 moderator. Already have the Nodak upper from Brownells in the 1/12 twist, Nodak lower with Colt trigger group and an original 2 Colt two position aluminum stock.
Was thinking of machining my own but….. saw that Innovative Industries had the real deal for under $300 plus the stamp. It would be hard for me to make it for less.