• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Build Help Suggestions...

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Read something years ago about aluminum slugs at >4000fps being developed for door kickers. Never followed up.

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
That's interesting. The reloading kids I use are super-keen on the powder coating they've been using: no leading in the Glocks, and so far haven't gotten to velocities that are tearing up the bullets in rifles. That being said, I think they're shooting .30-30 type velocities (2200 - 2550 fps) and nothing approaching 3,000.

I wonder if the aluminum + 4K = throat erosion / destruction, or if it = bullet destruction... or both.

Anyway, the lack of lightweight 1/2" dia. slugs going 4K fps is not going to stop my interest in this. It would be a good reason to do my first Form 1 and make a can (well, make Greg make me a can...) for this thing.

Smellycat

FALaholic #
Powder coat is the way to go. I do a 500 grain powder coated slugs for my 54/70. They are coated red and look like a brass cased tube of lipstick.

Last edited:

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I thought someone is wanting to build a poodle shooter. Then I scroll down and see lever guns. I thought a 7.62x39 was similar to a 30-30:whistle:

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
What you're speaking of is disabling the engine block of a large black SUV or an occupant through the door.
I try not to impose cis~normative conventional roles on weapons. It may choose to identify differently based on situations or circumstances.

Gazz

FALaholic #
I have a .458 SOCOM but have shot nothing but jacketed bullets in it. I do cast and have dabbled in powder coating but have never thought of using cast bullets in a rifle with a gas system. I've always thought that lead will shave off in the gas port and turn your semi into a manual repeater. Any truth to that?
I recently loaded some 45-70 405gr pc bullets over 11gr of Unique for my H&R/original 1873 put together trapdoor. Lots of fun!

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Actually, I'm interested in this all of a sudden...
El - have you ever done the 'heavy-for-caliber' bullets and shot this subsonic? Why wouldn't this be 'better' (whatever that means...) than .300 B.O.? I've shot your rifle, but I can't remember: does it have a 16" barrel? Mid-length gas system?
Since I only run 458 subsonic 85% of the time I do short barrels, 8.5" to 23.5" so able to pin cans and not pay for SBR stamp or end up with really long rifle. My 10.5" with 7.5" can is best all round but 8.5" with 8.5" FAT can is short, not an SBR and very handy. I have full power mags in my LBEs using the 350 grain copper solids and molds for 500, 550 and 600 grain cast. the 550 HPs break a hog down even if hit them in the rear hip till able to put his buddies down and come back to finish him if not bled out as he has not gone far. Again E=MC2 so with 1,050 fps speed limit mass is the only way to increase energy. Yes only have ten rounds per mag but each round drops whatever it hits.

I use Hi-Tek bullet coating or just size and lube with the super hard 2700 red carnuba bullet lube and a gas check. In 6mmx45 and other AR cartridges have fired over 1,000 cast between cleanings and no leading or other issues. Have a good alloy, right lube and buy your own gas check puncher can use to make soda cans into checks. I use some powder coat but very picky as some has additives that are abrasive and much sold is left overs from commercial powder coaters who coated parts that were required to withstand abrasive environment. I wrote a long post somewhere on power coat and additives and how some flavors are like sending fine sandpaper down your bore.

Last edited: