• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Bear things in my AO and elsewhere

Seaweed

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I would recommend using a flare gun on them. Bears will not like the heat that they can't get away from. They should associate the burning with hanging out in your area. That is outside of fire season. Are they visiting you because their territory was wiped out by the fire?

Riversidesports

keeping it cool
FALaholic #
Well in California I doubt there are many options lawfully available outside of containing the food source
Thing is Bears can smell things as good or better than most Doggies
Think of it like Meth Tweekers
Once they associate you with loot they will be back again and again until they are incarcerated or made dead.

I don't like Bear, see them as huge Rats

Easy way to get rid of them is to fill an overturned garbage can lid with antifreeze, kills em' dead but also Dogs...that Green Koolaide isn't a great idea
The dead Bear gets reported they may run an autopsy and I would want you on the receiving end of the results particularly over a Sow with Cubs in your State

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
If I had to I could SSS as I have a local friends excavator for a couple of weeks while he is away in Hawaii, it would take all of 20 mins to dig a big enough hole.

In fact I will dig such a hole just to be prepared if any government people come around.

I didn't clean up the burnt up mess from the fire 5 months or so ago.

And they are threatening with fines for scoff laws that don't do their bidding.

One of the things that may keep them coming back is the wet cob I put out for the black tail 4 legged critters.

I wouldn't mind of the cubs ate it but mama gets real irritated when it's gone.

Don't know what this means but she sharpens her claws on the oak trees right by the pan I put the cob in.

Last edited:

Riversidesports

keeping it cool
FALaholic #
If I had to I could SSS as I have a local friends excavator for a couple of weeks while he is away in Hawaii, it would take all of 20 mins to dig a big enough hole.

In fact I will dig such a hole just to be prepared if any government people come around.

I didn't clean up the burnt up mess from the fire 5 months or so ago.

And they are threatening with fines for scoff laws that don't do their bidding.

One of the things that may keep them coming back is the wet cob I put out for the black tail 4 legged critters.

I wouldn't mind of the cubs ate it but mama gets real irritated when it's gone.

Don't know what this means but she sharpens her claws on the oak trees right by the pan I put the cob in.
Territorial sign marking the cob as hers

Likely means she has gone from opportunistic feeding to now regarding you as her families principle source of nutrition.

Clawing up tree bark don't sharpen Bear claw
it's meant to show other Bear a claim has been made
They generally will piss & shit up the immediate area leaving plenty of Bear sign but that's more of a Male thing.

Keep some distance
Hungry Sows with Cubs are no Joke friend once they start marking territory
who knows if she actually recognizes you are the source or even cares
Think 12 gauge with slugs if it comes to a confrontation

Also it likely indicates a presence of a Male in the vicinity
Males will kill and eat those Cubs
it's just the nature of Bear

In your situation I'd be chatting with fish and game folks on removal & relocation

John A

FALaholic #
Territorial sign marking the cob as hers

Likely means she has gone from opportunistic feeding to now regarding you as her families principle source of nutrition.

Clawing up tree bark don't sharpen Bear claw
it's meant to show other Bear a claim has been made
They generally will piss & shit up the immediate area leaving plenty of Bear sign but that's more of a Male thing.
Riverside Sports is entirely correct about this.

When a bear scratches a tree (or often times a utility pole) it is a mark for territory and dominance. This includes you NFADLR.

One reason why bears do is to size up the competition in this manner.

If one bear can reach higher up the tree than another, it knows that it is bigger and the smaller bear isn't perceived as much of a threat to them.

Here's one short video that I got of a large sow marking a tree just before deer season last year. Watch closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkO4BmCG65c

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Not that I'm prepping to kill her but I don't own a shotgun, these days.

I know some here would see that as a mark against ones masculine card.

I do own a nice SA M1 Garand with clips of ball, ap and soft point rounds.

Last one I owned, bought before person to person was made illegal, swapped with a guy at great western fun show.

Anyone care to loan me a Benelli M4 ?

John A

FALaholic #
I don't consider you not killing it as a mark against your man card.

I tried the same route that you did.

Now, the bears have out numbered the other animals in my area, have either ran off or eaten the deers and turkey and now we have went from having a healthy herd of 11-14 deer on any given year to the point last year, I was only getting photos of a single doe near deer season and I didn't even get to hunt on my own property.

So, you just need to do something with the problem now before it gets out of hand while the problem is manageable, or don't and let them just take over like the invasive species that they are.

Really, it's up to you.

I've already been down that road before.

Here is a CATV pole that has been marked. The scratches are about 7 feet.

Here is the same pole 5 years later.

Yes, it is entirely in two now.

Oh, and bears don't just have 1 or 2 cubs.

They often have 4 or 5 every year. Look at the dates on the trail cam photos.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but if you choose not to do anything about it, all I can tell you is you're going to get what you get from it.

Fewer deers, fewer turkeys, more damage and more aggravation and once they chase your wife into the car or the house because she's in the bears territory, you won't have anyone to blame but yourself.\

I'm not making light of the situation when I tell you they're an invasive species. I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

Last edited:

Riversidesports

keeping it cool
FALaholic #
Not that I'm prepping to kill her but I don't own a shotgun, these days.

I know some here would see that as a mark against ones masculine card.

I do own a nice SA M1 Garand with clips of ball, ap and soft point rounds.

Last one I owned, bought before person to person was made illegal, swapped with a guy at great western fun show.

Anyone care to loan me a Benelli M4 ?
Shit talk to member 308, he's selling LE trade in Remington 870s for like $130 or just was. He likely has some riot barrels on cheap as well

NFADLR

FALaholic #
I asked to borrow a shotgun as I it's hard to transfer one without proper documentation.

The FFL says the show me your papers peasant!!

Yeah we are a free people, a heavily controlled free people.

Sorry I know some of you don't like individuals living off the grid WOP.

Let me get this straight, we have the RTKABA but we need to apply for government contracts to exercise that constitutional right.

Got it.

Shit talk to member 308, he's selling LE trade in Remington 870s for like $130 or just was. He likely has some riot barrels on cheap as well

Last edited:

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Today's visitor is not the same critter as a few weeks ago.

They (the family of 3+) were a darker brown color and didn't have phone in pocket only my sig on my belt.

If anyone has a belt holster for a S&W 629 Classic Hunter I would really appreciate it. Email = my board name at GMAIL.Com...

Thanks in advance...

And to think I was down in LA hanging with my folks for almost a week, while danger lurked here.

Wife has shot the P226 but not the garand I left here.

DOH....

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
Print out about 2 dozen of these and post them all around where you store your grain and food. Most bears have eyesight thats at least as good as humans.

Also good for posting on the fridge when you want to diet.

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
Maybe there is a way to find out what high frequency gives them a headache and rig up some kind of an electronic perimeter and have motion sensors trip it??

I live in the same state as you do and we run out of options quick here... at least ones that dont involve sheriff henchmen.... right now mine are crows and effin dogs running around loose occasionally.. and not friendly ones. Then there are the bipedal vermin......

If fish and game blow you off...... weeeeeelllll.... have to protect your family.....:whistling:

alphadog58

FALaholic #
I am not limited to Yogi and booboo I also have read headed wood peckers putting holes in my barn and house.
I have a feeling these red heads might have indigestion, Maybe I should supply them with Alka Seltzer.
Yeah, we tried that with seagulls when I was a kid. Didn't work. Must be a suburban legend...
Larry

Randall

FALaholic #
Pellet rifles work great on Wood Peckers. I can't help with the bears. I've always enjoyed eating and making rugs out of the bears I've killed. Can't say I ever considered it murder.

grumpy1

FALaholic #
For many years the DNR where I’ve lived have had a saying, “a fed bear is a dead bear”.

If a bear gets into garbage or other human food they become real lazy real quick and rather than forage for food the keep coming back to the human food. Which in turn creates conflicts with humans. Then the DNR has to step in and put the bear down. If they can get the bear early enough they will try to relocate it but if it has a second encounter with eating human garbage then they put it down.

Far to often people think they are doing the animals a favor but not allowing them to be hunted. But in reality we are doing ourselves a disservice. New Jersey has the highest population of black bears in the country because they banned the hunting of them about 15 years ago. Look on YouTube, most of the urban bear videos are from New Jersey.

Also look at Mountain lion in California and the recent increase in them attacking humans.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Loading up some 30/06 into Garand clips this bear is getting on my last nerve.

He / She gets in the trash if it's up by the house or on the day it goes out to be picked up. It chases my chickens and ducks.

I know 30/06 is better than 300BO but if it comes in the house it's the AR 15 pistol and 300BO as that's the only caliber I have in a short weapon, and I have a feeling 300BO has a slight edge on 45ACP or 44Mag.

With a early teens injury to my right hand the 44 mag is a little much for my right hand.

John A

FALaholic #
April 8

No worries I'm not going to kill any of them.

May 27

He / She gets in the trash if it's up by the house or on the day it goes out to be picked up. It chases my chickens and ducks.

I can't say that I'm surprised. Because I'm not. I'm actually surprised at your restraint for this long. That was a total of 6 weeks it took to change your opinion about the cute little things.

To everyone that has never had to deal with bears, consider yourself lucky.

To anyone that has had to deal with bears almost daily and constantly, understands exactly where you're coming from.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
OK so what's better at say 30-50 yards ?

300 blackout or 44 mag that I really can't handle with a knife thru my right palm at 13 years of age (gang fight).

Anone know where I can find soft point 300 Blackout ammo ?

Could use a 18 inch stainless barrel in 300 blackout ?
unfluted that is.

I know 30/06 is better than 300BO but if it comes in the house it's the AR 15 pistol and 300BO as that's the only caliber I have in a short weapon, and I have a feeling 300BO has a slight edge on 45ACP or 44Mag.

With a early teens injury to my right hand the 44 mag is a little much for my right hand.

Last edited: