• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

barrel index pin 90 degrees off on ar barrel

mosbysmen

Senior Member, Moderator,
FALaholic #
i bought a ar barrel a long time ago on line all the info on the barrel is c mp 5.56 nato 1/7 the barrel index pin is about 90 degrees off is there any place i can send this to be re indexed ?
tia
MM

ftierson

FALaholic #
i bought a ar barrel a long time ago on line all the info on the barrel is c mp 5.56 nato 1/7 the barrel index pin is about 90 degrees off is there any place i can send this to be re indexed ?
tia
MM
Just out of curiosity, was this barrel originally sold for some 'registered' firearm purpose that required it not to fit a normal receiver?

I know that there were AR-7 'pistols' made with short barrels that had the barrel pins rotated 180 degrees so the barrel couldn't be used normally on an AR-7 rifle receiver...

Forrest

mosbysmen

Senior Member, Moderator,
FALaholic #
i bought it online i think at assault web , when it came i pulled it out and looked at it and stuck it back in the box , a year or so later i pulled it out and found out the barrel extension was loose on the barrel , does not look like the barrel has ever been installed on anything .

ftierson

FALaholic #
i bought it online i think at assault web , when it came i pulled it out and looked at it and stuck it back in the box , a year or so later i pulled it out and found out the barrel extension was loose on the barrel , does not look like the barrel has ever been installed on anything .
Ah...

Thanks for the answer...

Forrest

ByronF

FALaholic #
I'm a slob and a retard. I've peened FAL barrel shoulders to increase crush. I also pick my nose without hiding it.

I'd notch my upper before I paid real folding money to have a pin relocated. Then I'd put it together and never talk about it again.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
OHHH My Gawd..

You swine.....

I'm a slob and a retard. I've peened FAL barrel shoulders to increase crush. I also pick my nose without hiding it.

I'd notch my upper before I paid real folding money to have a pin relocated. Then I'd put it together and never talk about it again.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
I neglected to ship the light weight armor plates, my bad.

Hey, those armor plates I bought from you seem unusually heavy. What gives?

Cereally, I'd notch that upper so fast it'd make a dust cloud. Then follow-up-post about canted sights. That's how I roll.

Last edited:

burtman

Contributor
FALaholic #
i pulled it out and found out the barrel extension was loose on the barrel
This is usually the result of the nitrate bath. The salts stay between the barrel and the extension as many manufacturers won't finish them separately and they come loose

Having said that are you wanting to WECSOG this yourself ?

Firemedic8998

FALaholic #
Can a barrel extension be tightened a couple degrees to correct a canted front sight? Asking for a friend...
Yes, if you have a long enough breaker bar and the right tools. A couple of degrees is only a couple of thousandths in the headspace dimension, it'll wear in. You can't get too crazy though and try to get 20 degrees tighter without doing some lathe work first , that'll strip the barrel threads and you REALLY don't want to do that. (as in- you'll only do it once in your life)

Last edited:

357ross

FALaholic #
Thanks, I might try that. It's only off just enough to cause zeroing problems, and not very noticeable on the top of the rifle unless you're really looking for it.