• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Anyone have experience with Metacol III finish from Arizona Response Systems

Status

sturmgrenadiere

Staff member
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Getting ready to send them a rifle to build, but torn between standard parkerization and this Metacol III satin black. The sample photos look nice, the stats look nice, I have shot some MP5s and if it is the same finish, then it is pretty nice. Anyone out there in FAL land have a rifle with this finish? What do you think of it?

Thanks

Ben

[This message has been edited by sturmgrenadiere (edited October 13, 2000).]

Hoss

FALaholic #
I am extremely pleased with the METACOL III finish. Highly recommended from me. Also, I'll be wanting those handguards from ya.

------------------
Freedom without discipline is Anarchy

Augdog

FALaholic #
I am not impressed with the Metacol III finish. It was applied with no preperation to the metal. Had the metal been blasted or parked, it would of been a decent, long lasting finish. As it sits though, it is to shiny and is flaking off in areas.

Augdog

Sorry to disagree with you Barley Pop

------------------

"One man with courage makes a majority."

FALfanatic

FALaholic #
My STG-58 has a Metacol III in satin black. I have only had the gun for a few weeks but I am happy with the finish. All parts were coated including internals (except for springs).

The finish will wear away if metal scrapes metal but I didn't expect any different. Time will tell how it holds up in the long run but so far so good.

Super B

FALaholic #
I have a parked StG 58 and one done in metacol III, both by ARS. The Metacol wears away where metal meets metal, but so does park. The Metacol also came off around the muzzle crown due to the blast. The metacol is definitely pretier, but I like the park even better. ARS does BEAUTIFUL work no matter what type of finish you choose.

Super B

CC

FALaholic #
AZEX does a parkcoat finish. They blast everything, then park, then paint satin Black. I think ARS will do the same if you want them to. AZEX is doing this to two of my rifles now.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Wow Augdog - You havn't mentioned anything to ME about it.

All surfaces are chemically degreased, lowers are baked to remove oil, then chemically degreased again, then sandblasted to an #80 aluminum oxide, degreased AGAIN, coated and cured, then reassembled and lubricated. Certain part are parkerized before coating since it is a spray application and coating Inside of magazines and tubes is not feasible, these parts are usually parked first.

The finish is warranteed for life (mine, anyway) against peeling, flaking, or any other adhesion problems. But a warranty is only good if you use it.

ALL finishes wear and a coating thin enough to coat tight tolerance high friction/abrasion parts without gumming up the mechanism is not going to magically make the metal not wear. So yes, you will get wear on the Left of the receiver where the steel cocking handle rakes against the receiver, the face of the hammer where it smashes forward, and the rails of the bolt carrier, etc where they metal-on-metal cycling causes abrasion. But suprise suprise,, the bare metalitself will do the same. It still remains far more corrosion resistant than bluing, park, or any other conversion process, it adds lubricity, is attractive, and the most durable black finish I've yet found. If I find something better tomorrow, I'll switch.

I'm sorry you are disappointed, and somewhat suprised to hear about it here since you had not contacted me about it.

------------------
T. Mark "Gunplumber" Graham
gunplumber@arizonaresponsesystems.com
Arizona Response Systems
5501 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013
623-873-1410 http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

Augdog

FALaholic #
Hey GP,

I purchased this rifle from Barley Pop, so I didn't feel I had any reason to contact you. I was just expecting a little more quality in surface prep when I was told it was a ARS in Metacol III.

I will contact you.

Thanks,

Augdog

Augdog

FALaholic #
Hi Barley Pop,

I am very happy with the rifle, and the build job ARS did on it (see the group it shot on my MOA FAL post). I am just disapointed in the preperation of the metal before the Metacol finish was applied.

I have been refinishing rifles for several years, and guess have became a "nit pick" over the prepping of the metal. The finish looks better, and lasts longer if applied to a fresh blast or park job. I am not trying to flame GP in any way, just posting my thoughts and expectations.

Augdog

48th Highlander

FALaholic #
I like the Metachol III. But I would prefer the whole rifle was reparked before application. Derek did this for me and it is more attractive. Also wears better as the coating wears there is dark park underneath. I also believe the coating would adhere better to paek than bare metal.

Derek at AZEX will repark and coat for about the same price as metacol.

I am not a gunplumber basher, I like his work and it is worth the $, but I happen to like the finish Derek did for me better.

------------------
Darren

dmellors@peoplepc.com

Dileas Gu Brath
Fabrique Nationale Semi Auto Collectors of Texas

http://fabriquenationale.homestead.com/

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Actually, Darren, its the other way around. The finish comes out smoother when there is not a layer of phosphate underneath. Even with a grain refiner, the texture of the phosphate gives the top coating a texture too (who do you think taught D to paint and park?)

On some earlier types of finish, and when there is no abrasive surface prep, then phosphate is important because it gives the coating domething to stick to, but the more modern coatings, especially over a blasted surface, do not require a phosphate. It is not only redundant, but on tighter tolerance weapons will have to be removed anyway for reassembly.

So for surfaces where internal surfaces are hard to spray coat, and on reproductions when I'm trying to match an original color and configuration (early paints were too thick for internals, so the parts were parked first to cover the internals) and on badly corroded parts, And on certain hard surfaces like glock slides, I'
ll park first.

The other use of park is for large orders where the customer is trying to get the best comprimise - park internals and out of sight parts, (because its quicker and easier) and METACOL the large outer surfaces. See - when I METACOL something, EVERY part but the smallest rollpins and springs is coated, not just major componants leaving the small stuff parked only.

But each to his own, Derek does good work, too.

------------------
T. Mark "Gunplumber" Graham
gunplumber@arizonaresponsesystems.com
Arizona Response Systems
5501 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013
623-873-1410 http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

IDHunt

FALaholic #
GP, What do you charge for the Metacol III over park?

IDHunt

------------------
--
The Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited by Law

B. Bishop

FALaholic #
Mark did my MP5K PDW in 1995 with his Metacol III finish and it is a work of art. The finish has remained as originally applied through several thousand rounds of ammo and dozens of cleanings.

I have absolutely no complaints on ARS's cost, turnaround time and quality of work. Mark will continue to get my future business and I wish more of the gunsmith's out there would equal his level of attention to detail and customer service.

Regards,
Bob Bishop

Greywolf

FALaholic #
Gunplumber sold me a AK-74 that had been Metacol III'ed and it is wonderful. This baby has seen a lot of use from me and the wife, and it still looks pristine. I recommend it whole-heartedly.

Status