• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Any FLIR Scout users?

lew

FALaholic #
Howdy,

Any of you folks using the FLIR Scout? Looks like a relatively budget-friendly thermal viewer. I don't need anything tacticool, just viewing critters in the yard or out camping. Looks like it's good for about a 100m and in, which would be fine.

biyf

FALaholic #
I had the Scout TK, which is the one that costs about $600 or so. After lots of playing with it, I ended up thinking of it as a fun toy and not really all that useful - especially at 100 yards. It was more useful up to 75 yards I would say. Resolution was not great, and the refresh rate/screen freezing was annoying. For locating something warm in the woods up to that distance, it was neat. Determining what exactly it was due to resolution was something different. It was also neat for locating areas of the house that weren't well insulated and were losing A/C or whatever. I ended up selling it at a small loss as I just didn't find it all that useful.

medicmike

Blocked Felicia
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a FLIR TG267 thermal camera that I picked up for work. If the scope is around the same resolution I would say target identification would be challenging. Great for identifying a hot I/O module, motor or bearing however.

1655493376238.jpeg

So for identification, the image below is a small 240VAC gear pump inside a printing press

1655493479149.jpeg

lew

FALaholic #
I had the Scout TK, which is the one that costs about $600 or so. After lots of playing with it, I ended up thinking of it as a fun toy and not really all that useful - especially at 100 yards. It was more useful up to 75 yards I would say. Resolution was not great, and the refresh rate/screen freezing was annoying. For locating something warm in the woods up to that distance, it was neat. Determining what exactly it was due to resolution was something different. It was also neat for locating areas of the house that weren't well insulated and were losing A/C or whatever. I ended up selling it at a small loss as I just didn't find it all that useful.
I appreciate that.

I already have a Sionyx Aurora and really good eyeballs. A truly dark night is a rarity here in AZ: almost always moon- and starlight to illuminate. Sounds like I could put five bills to use elsewhere.

biyf

FALaholic #
I forgot to mention that the most difficult thing (for me personally) about the Scout TK was eye strain. I believe it was more due to it being a monocular and my tendency to close the other eye when I was using it. Perhaps due to my bad astigmatism and thick glasses, I don't know. End result was I could only use it for a few minutes before it became uncomfortable. Some people might be OK with the monocular part of it, but I was not.

I have a PVS-7 with a pretty nice Gen 3 tube in it, and it's light years ahead of the Scout TK in usefulness (to me), though I did appreciate what thermal offers. I believe from my research, a person would need to spend a good chunk of cash (say over 4K) to get something thermal that's as useful as I would want it to be.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Why I have starlight and thermal. If in field with cattle, other pig hunters and waiting on hogs to roll through will use thermal as all I need to do is not shoot cows or people and a thermal set to white hot your hammering the hogs when show up. If watching around house can tell if human with thermal but that's it. With starlight can pick up enough facial features to know if neighbor, friend or foe all kitted up for a fight.

Have 1x Starlight on helmet to navigate and situational awareness walking around on pig hunt then when a herd moves in flip it up, pull rifle with thermal to eye and hammer them. My best thermal even puts dot on most likely area for kill shot as analyzes shape and dopes the shot. If something lurking beyond fence line or gotten between outer/inner fence with starlight can tell if coyote, small dog, large cat and not just a colored blob. Have used the Scout, big and clunky with low resolution but worth it's price point.

If want to really see with 1x thermal use my Fluke bought for work. Use it to find overheating breakers, wires, what cylinder of engine is not firing right, leaks in heat envelope at home and target identification to figure out where the warm body is hiding then decide if engage using thermal or starlight. Man really needs both but if on budget start with thermal and buy a weapon sight can use handheld. Mounting the Scout to rifle would be near useless and convoluted. Using a 1-10x thermal scope handheld would be o.k.