• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Another Day at the office

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
Would join ya but other obligations have me stuck here until I get the 1973 Sanger out of the barn.

Last time I was at least in the area but only McKenna Wash not enough time to get as far east as the meetup was.

One day will get there.

Yeah, much better than having to bore a block, the Cat liners are usually an easy pull job.
My overhaul kit is at least a week out, so I'm going to take a week off and go to the fall shoot.

C-ya

One day at a time...
Contributor
FALaholic #
I almost hate doing the yearly oil change in my VW TDI more than gear oil changes. I did the transfer case and rear diff in my wife and daughter's SUVs. Even with the smell, I think it's not as bad. That used diesel oil, tho... Blacker than sin and gets everywhere. I also do the fuel filter so I get diesel all over my hands as well. Two-fer!

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Bore still showing some crosshatching. Something got in there? Busted ring(s)?
Larry
Yup, broken top compression ring. otherwise not bad for close to 800K miles. The rod bearings showed some wear. It was just time for an overhaul anyway. Camshaft had some serious wear too.

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
Trucking company I worked for as a side gig used a pneumatic pumped grease gun without the tip on it. It was strictly for the 5th wheels. Still had to spread it by hand. This was 40+ years ago and gloves weren't manly nor were they available.

tdb59

Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

SAM1965

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I'd think the folks like 12v71 would beat the drivers to an inch of their life for doing that! I got an M60A3 airborne once... the mechanics almost killed me... I had to hammer out Torsion bar stub ends for 2 days... 6 is the number I remember. The TC had to as well... So the total is lost on me. I was pretty much the FNG at the time and fell for some of the stupid jokes

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Fix my 362 Pete yet ?
There's a nice one a few miles down the road, single wide sleeper, 400 Cummins w/stc, 13 speed, NO power steering but doesn't drive to bad. 4 spring rear suspension. Nice clean, simple truck... but they will not sell it. We tried awhile back to build a ramp truck.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I need a 110 cab with a doghouse for my kid behind the cab between the frame rails.
There was another "down the road" truck we looked at, a mid 80's Ford cabover with a 110" cab, dual stacks, 400 Cummins that had been sitting for 12 years. Needed 10 new tires, had less than 200K on it, but the mouse smell in the cab was so bad I think it went to the scrapyard, I got it running but couldn't spend more than 2 minutes in the cab without gagging. Asking price was only $6k.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
My mind is still in the lifestyle even if my body isnt able to when it comes to most of the fed and state regulations.

Dont know how hard it would have been to get my class "A" back but it would had also been a handicap in term of license.

There was another "down the road" truck we looked at, a mid 80's Ford cabover with a 110" cab, dual stacks, 400 Cummins that had been sitting for 12 years. Needed 10 new tires, had less than 200K on it, but the mouse smell in the cab was so bad I think it went to the scrapyard, I got it running but couldn't spend more than 2 minutes in the cab without gagging. Asking price was only $6k.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Well, I got #7 ready to start for the first time yesterday... Cranking the engine it seems to only have partial compression on 2 cylinders, (egg on my face) tore stuff apart today and checked timing marks and valve sets, all checked out perfect. I think Cat sent me the wrong f'n camshaft with the right part number on the box. Not sure which third world country did the remanufacturing and packaging for them.
More investigating tomorrow. Hope to hell I don't have a bunch of bent valves now.