• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Another Day at the office

paulo

FALaholic #
P, you know one or two of those wires and hoses will break or crack during the move. Good luck on finding and fixing them.
This is the second move. First one was from Montreal Canada to Wisco. During the hook up we found a few cracked control voltage wires. Those finds were visual. Had several weld card cooling hose’s start leaking shortly after start up. Replaced all 32 of those hose’s. Start up will be interesting.

paulo

FALaholic #
Dear Lord. You must burn thru a case of wire labels, although second move? Just flop it all out of the way it will fall back into the correct place 😆
Most of the wires had the number/labels on them.
It’s an older German machine so they use zip tie style numbers. The machine had a fair amount of changes/up grades so we hired out a Canadian electrical contractor to track down all the wires and make sure they were properly labeled and documented.
That made it fairly easy to move and reconnect. Working with a different group of guys this time around so… as long as they take their time it should be good. I’ll still double check their work.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Finally got a new engine control harness for #2, Peterbilt had it custom built for this truck. Hard to believe that some parts for a '99 are obsolete. :rolleyes:
View attachment 225101
Dirty, rotten, sheepherding... Got that Octopus harness installed Friday afternoon and found out it was missing 2 wires for the truck controlled side. one was a blank spare, the other was the control circuit for the engine fan clutch. Grrrr. Got it traced out and added a new wire and terminal at the bulkhead connector. Was hoping to light it up and test the electrical mayhem today but had 2 other trucks show up for minor chit.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Today was a good day, connected the batteries... no huge spark or smoke release, turned the key to "ON" and more of the same. Hit the start button and she lit right off, no weird codes or other problems, the ABS light works properly and all is good. Spent an hour replacing a gazillion zip ties and took it for a cruise, fan thermal switch works right (my extra wire) so it hits the road tomorrow. I'll get it back in a week to check for rubbing harnesses and hoses. $3800 in parts, but the truck is still worth $25K in value or better. Four loads a day racks up the bucks.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Got all this ^^ shit cleaned out and back together just in time to find out there is something wrong with #7, it burned 1.5 gallons of oil in 500 miles and has a heavy, puffing blow by. Think we might have a piston/ring issue. :rolleyes: Never ends. Tires, tracks, or t*ts as my father used to say.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Nothing like wet sleeves.

I miss that 481 rodak I had in the mid 80's for that reason alone, cylinders and piston sets all set up for various displacements.
Yeah, much better than having to bore a block, the Cat liners are usually an easy pull job.
My overhaul kit is at least a week out, so I'm going to take a week off and go to the fall shoot.