• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Another Bolt Gap Question -

Bamboo762

FALaholic #
Not a Century, but an SAR8 Springfield with the AL receiver. Rifle seems in good condition with no evidence of things moving that shouldn't. Most internals look as new.

I need to go back and scrub out the bolt recesses. I don't plan to beat this rifle up, but would like to do some casual shooting without having any issues.

Thanks for the reply, and I'm open to comments and suggestions.

maxblaster

FALaholic #
Several very good youtube vid's on checking the gap, apparently you must charge the weapon, lock bolt back, drop the bolt from lock notch, pull the trigger (one recommended at least 5 times doing this) .... then check the gap... several variables were also noted, if i remember correctly, .01 - .05 your good,
- Anyone chime in on a correction or additional scoop, Cheers JB

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
.1 to .5 mm is correct.

Those abortion Springfield rifles (not to be confused with the original SAR-3/8 Ebo Greece rifles imported by SA) were made by Dan Coonan - extruded aluminum receiver with original receiver stub and receiver pinned inside.

Which means, as much as they are disgusting pieces of shit, it has nothing to do with altering bolt gap. Still has original Portuguese bolt/carrier/lock and rollers and trunion.

So bolt gap should not have changed.

I have a set of feeler gauges with a 45 degree bend in them, and measure through mag well.

I prefer on new builds to set around .018"

Maybe there is unusual wear on your rollers? or something else has been messed with. because this issue should not be related to the receiver.

As mentioned above, at least +4. I've never calculated how much additional bolt gap comes from each .02mm increase over 8mm nominal roller dia.

hk-boltgap.jpg

Last edited:

Bamboo762

FALaholic #
.1 to .5 mm is correct.

Those abortion Springfield rifles (not to be confused with the original SAR-3/8 Ebo Greece rifles imported by SA) were made by Dan Coonan - extruded aluminum receiver with original receiver stub and receiver pinned inside.

Which means, as much as they are disgusting pieces of shit, it has nothing to do with altering bolt gap. Still has original Portuguese bolt/carrier/lock and rollers and trunion.

So bolt gap should not have changed.

I have a set of feeler gauges with a 45 degree bend in them, and measure through mag well.

I prefer on new builds to set around .018"

Maybe there is unusual wear on your rollers? or something else has been messed with. because this issue should not be related to the receiver.

As mentioned above, at least +4. I've never calculated how much additional bolt gap comes from each .02mm increase over 8mm nominal roller dia.

View attachment 221854
Thanks for your reply. I didn't think the AL receiver was related to the bolt gap. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Rollers are on the way, and hopefully they will solve the problem. Thanks again.