• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

African handguards

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Edited 22-523 - changed hyperlinks.

In sorting through handguards in need of repair, I came across 5 different African varieties that I believe are not of FN origin. This is not my area of expertise - maybe Chuck can add to it.

First are BC fiberglass without the metal fronts. They appear to be cast and are much more prone to chipping and cracking than the original FN.
I can't remember where these are supposed to be from - Zaire?

fnb21-handguard-rsa-fiberglass.jpg

fnb21-handguard-rsa-fiberglass.jpg

Next are glass-filled nylon with some flexibility like the Argentine, but NBC. I'm randomly picking "type 1" It has a single vertical center rib.

fnb21-handguard-rsa-nylon-01.jpg

fnb21-handguard-rsa-nylon-01.jpg

Next are glass-filled nylon with some flexibility like the Argentine, but NBC. I'm randomly picking "type 2" It has a single vertical center rib and multiple front ribs.

fnb21-handguard-rsa-nylon-02.jpg

fnb21-handguard-rsa-nylon-02.jpg

Next are glass-filled nylon with some flexibility like the Argentine, but NBC. I'm randomly picking "type 3" It has a single vertical and horizontal center rib. These were on a customer's kit and motivated me to do this comparison before I shipped the rifle.

fnb21-handguard-rsa-nylon-03.jpg

fnb21-handguard-rsa-nylon-03.jpg

Next are fiberglass, but thinner than the FN type and more prone to cracking. I have sold all the ones I had, but am adding the picture for reference. Can't remember where these are from, but I don't think t was RSA.

fnb21-handguard-green-05.jpg
fnb21-handguard-green-05.jpg

fnb21-handguard-green-04.jpg

fnb21-handguard-green-04.jpg

Last edited:

Roadmarker

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
What happened?
The owner of this website (arizonaresponsesystems.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp-content/uploads/woocommerce/fal-barrel/fnb21-handguard-rsa-fiberglass.jpg).

raexcct2

Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
That would be a great reference for us trying to figure out manufacture of handguards. As long as I have been shooting and collecting FALs I have never given serious thought to handguard origin but now I would sure like some kind of reference so I can figure it out.

allamerican401

FALaholic #
That would be a great reference for us trying to figure out manufacture of handguards. As long as I have been shooting and collecting FALs I have never given serious thought to handguard origin but now I would sure like some kind of reference so I can figure it out.
Here's the "bluish gray" set I meantioned to you they came from the Apex one's, but I forgot that they came on a riFal with a RSA (I recently learned) long plastic stock and are cut back by the gas block. The rest came from Apex. Probably all FN, but I'm not sure.
1&2 Bluish set , no rivets, & next to a gray/green set, dark gray set
3 Dark gray set, no rivets
4-6 Black riveted left/dark gray non rivet right from two mismatches & a picture showing vent differences between all my FN riveted vs early non
7 an interesting riveted set.
IMG_20220523_121240151.jpg IMG_20220523_122302708.jpg IMG_20220523_121322818.jpg IMG_20220523_121202219.jpg

IMG_20220523_121910769.jpg IMG_20220523_121929428.jpg IMG_20220523_121354679.jpg

Abominog

FALaholic #
Only thing I can add is that so far as I can determine (not prove) is that the all plastic are Zimbo replacements.

The bright green- aren’t those the IMBEL experimental?

the rest warrant documentation and comparison. A piece at a time, we may get it figured out.

Unfortunately Internet forums like this aren’t configured for ready storage and morphological comparison and true collaboration. The ARS website is a viable storage facility because it’s controlled. But when Mark retires the site could fall off the map, as had happened with one of the best Browning MG research sites.